Saturday, October 1, 2022

Why I like Silent Hill 3 more than Resident Evil 3?

Hello everyone I'm XboxClown89, usually I'm known as a huge Resident Evil fan. In most cases, I would choose Resident Evil over Silent Hill. One of a very few cases, in this particular case the battle of the 3s. Well I always preferred SH3 over either version of RE3. Don't worry I'm going to fully explain it here. First I wanna do a quick comparison, just the games I did play either a little or through in SH's case.

The Battle of 1s: Resident Evil vs Silent Hill
I do respect the original Silent Hill, easily one of the best entries in the franchise ever. I just felt in a few ways RE1 has more direct reasons to replay in comparison. On one hand, RE1 endings in most versions are strikingly similar with a little or just enough changes to make it count as another ending. Which isn't even an issue for SH1 here.

For example, the hidden weapons are simply better. The enemy variety was more interesting. Now SH1 does have more locations since it takes place within the town of Silent Hill. Most of RE1 takes place within the Spencer Mansion. Both have rememberable puzzles in their own right. I just felt having alternate outfits which does differ depending on versions is a nice touch.

The Battle of 2s: Resident Evil 2 vs Silent Hill 2
I do wanna say all three of these games I absolutely loved with a passion. This was a difficult decision for me in every possible way. In terms of story, SH2 has a slight edge in a most constant overall story while RE2 does have more confirmed endings. Konami wanted the fans to decide which ending they felt was the true ending, in my case it's In Water ending.

Resident Evil 2 had some surprisingly decent animations. Especially in earlier PS1 versions but SH2 does have some rememberable animations itself. Both do have rememberable puzzles as well with SH2 having a slight edge to puzzle level difficulty factor. In terms of enemies, RE2 has slightly more interesting enemies you'll face. Replay value is very high in most versions of RE2.

I will say this I do find SH2 hands down the scarier game. I even felt that's the best told SH story. Both have a rememberable cast of characters as well. This really came down to the little things truthfully. RE2 is not as much horror as the original Resident Evil but it still has some scary cut scenes. In the long run, I felt RE2 as a whole is a more satisfying game.

I hope you don't mine I skip The Battle of 3s for now since it is the main focus here. So I am going to do The Battle of 4s instead.

The Battle of 4s
It is here where I strongly went RE over SH truthfully. To be fair, I did play through SH4 before in the past. This was Team Silent's last entry before they disbanded. To me, it felt incredibly different from the previous entries. I do kinda get why people enjoy this game. Let's be honest here, it technically is scarier than RE4 but it sadly doesn't have anything else here.

RE4 did change genres to sell out to save the franchise. Keep in mind, later on keeping the games true to horror did score a lot of money for Capcom. At the time, they felt it wasn't going to do well if it were a survival horror game. With that being said, RE4 was mind blowing awesomeness. This game really broke new ground, still inspiring a lot of people to this day.

Replay value wise, it's not even a debate RE4 easily wins. I felt in every possible regard except scaring people RE4 knocks it out the park. I strongly felt it's a very decent entry. Sure it may not feel like an actual RE game which more recently could be a problem. Not to mention, a few major entries following suit led Capcom to go back to it's roots.

The Battle of 5s
This will be very short, Silent Hill: Homecoming had a different team. They attempted in some form to rip off RE4's game play style to some degree. However in most regards, this game falls hard. Now I am aware some SH fans actually enjoyed this game. RE5 truly knocks it out the park in every possible way. Yes it's more of an action game than a horror one but at least it's actually fun to play.

The Battle of 0s
The prequel battle well this is more of the same as The Battle of 5s. Silent Hill: Origins felt like a massively wrong direction. I know some RE fans aren't crazy about RE0, I always enjoyed that game. I strongly felt in every regard including scaring people RE0 wins. Silent Hill: Origins doesn't even feel like an Silent Hill game.

Now I can actually do The Battle of 3s here down below...

The Battle of 3s
Truthfully, I never was crazy about either version of RE3 myself. The original game it was difficult to counter Nemesis at times. There is only two boss monsters as well. Sure it does have some good puzzles. Not to mention, some decisions alter placements of key items. Which was strangely missing in RE3 Remake.

Speaking of that, it felt cut short almost as if it was going to be an expansion to RE2 Remake than a full game. I will say the original version has better overall audio to it's remake. Sadly, in both regards I do prefer SH3's. Replay value was even better in SH3's case. For example, you do get a lot of outfits including Regina from Dino Crisis outfit.

You had to go to a particular location with a hidden key to change outfits. Now let's look at SH3, you can enter in codes to give you outfits. Keep in mind, a good number of them are licensed. Thus due to lack of copy rights as well as meant to be exclusive to the original PS2 version. Which is why they were removed from later versions including Silent Hill HD Collection coughs.

Also you have your outfits within your surprisingly big inventory. You can quickly change at any given time between outfits. If you unlock Heather Beam, Princess Heart a parody of Sailor Moon outfit upgrades that to Sexy Beam. Speaking of hidden weapons, there's more of than in even RE3 Remake. Yeah no joke you can find gold & silver pipes through throwing your steel pipe in the water.

This mysterious lady will ask you a few questions if you answered correctly you'll get those pipes. You also unlock Beam Saber, a reference to Star Wars. Also beating Resident Evil to the punch literately, they recently done it in Resident Evil Village. You also get Unlimited Sub Machine Gun as well as Unlimited Flame Thrower too.

Even if I considered RE3 Remake's newer hidden weapons, it doesn't compare. You also get the option to skip the beginning nightmare portion of the game. There's three endings in comparison to 1 or 2 endings depending on which version of RE3 you're playing. Not to mention, Revenge Ending ends the game half way through without even facing Missionary boss.

Also you have to work for those endings rather than just one decision determines which ending you'll get in classic RE3's case. SH3 also has more difficulty levels as well as a few puzzle difficulty levels. Yes they can be mix match as well for more interesting future playthroughs. There's more interesting bosses here as well.

We have Split Worm, well it's the first boss not much to say. Missionary can be tricky unless you know a method to kill it easily. Leonardy is a little trickier due to the location you face him in. Memory of Alessa ends up being the most interesting boss fight being a few phases. She uses some weapons against you during the fight.

The final boss is God don't worry not that God. Claudia's vision of God whose not that hard of a final boss. Although as stated earlier with the extreme difficulty levels, anything will get notably tougher. I should mention, there does exist two different English dubs of the game. There's a weird Douglas code to make him show up not fully dressed lol.

I also liked you do get to explore Silent Hill later. It's just much lesser than the first two entries. To me, this was the last decent SH game I played. SH3 does have rememberable characters as well. You also get safer save points than those in RE3. The inventory is so massive in SH3, it's insane. Then again, I also could say that about the inventory in the first two entries as well.

SH3 is a surprisingly decent survival horror game. I would say in terms of replay value this is the most replayable entry. Also points are taken away from the last two difficulty levels in RE3 Remake during the very ending portion cheap garbage!!! SH3 does a great job scaring people especially during a first run.

RE3 in most versions felt more like an action game. I know people criticize RE4 for popularizing it. But technically speaking RE3 did start moving the franchise that direction. I still respect Code: Veronica being more of a horror game. Not to mention, there's more interesting default weapons in SH3 as well.

Now I also know a lot of people love getting stalked by Nemesis. To me, I felt I had to rush often. When I suppose try to stock up on supplies. Which likely leads to not surviving the more critical sections of the game. But you never get that forced feeling when playing SH3. Unless, you count trying to get off the tracks before a train arrives that is.

Heather or should I say Cheryl ends up being a great main character in SH3. I also liked how it ties in to the original Silent Hill as well. I really enjoyed the Amusement Park a lot. I even loved all of a sudden, whoever running the haunted house tries to kill you twist. The final area is much smaller than expected but still fitting to the game.

I do like some of the stuff you have to do in order to process in the game. Like putting a few things into a bucket then lit it on fire to reveal doors behind a particular painting. I also liked how they make even walking back to your home unnerving as possible. I will be honest, I couldn't necessary relate much to any version of RE3.

Sure you can't make your own ammo like in most versions of RE3. But in the hidden options, one of the choices does increase the amount of ammo you'll find. Which also was presented in the first two entries as well. After beating the game a few times you can unlock the highest that multiplier goes. Don't worry it's not entirely game breaking but considering how scarce ammo is in RE3.

Well I rather have that then taking the time to make more ammo when I can't find more ammo. Thus you are wasting time rather than just picking up one thing of ammo with the multiplier easily saves your life in SH3's case. Keep in mind, most versions of RE3 has a much smaller, limited inventory. There doesn't appear to be a limit how much you actually can hold in SH3.

This also prevents having to make stops to remove stuff to do certain puzzles or bring up better weapons to kill bosses.  Not only that, I also was more directly interested in SH3's story as well. The decisions in RE3 does make trying to follow what's going on more confusing. Yet I rather have that than no matter what I do it always ends the game such as RE3 Remake's case.

It also has melee weapons which isn't in any version of RE3 that does help save ammo too. SH3 does have an easier to find maps too. I also like the story twists more in comparison. It felt more like a true sequel to the original Silent Hill than RE3 did to the original RE game. In all honestly, if I really had the chance I would replay SH3 again.

No comments:

Post a Comment