Thursday, October 20, 2022

The Unlucky Thirteen #8 A Quiet Place series (2018-2021) plus The Silence (2019)

Hello everyone I'm XboxClown89, now here's a good horror movie franchise that's strangely interesting. People like Stephen King respected the film A Quiet Place. Yes today we are going to talk about A Quiet Place series, currently two films. I do wanna point out, this is vastly different from The Thing I discussed earlier in this Halloween marathon.

I decided as I was writing, The Silence would fit in perfectly due to some of it's similarities. I hope no one minds I done this to make it a three movie review blog entry. Also it was my wife that introduced me to The Silence, I am glad she did too.

A Quiet Place (2018)
The film centers on a family trying to survive these aliens. No not the usual invasion style neither The Thing's for that matter. These creatures heavily relies on sound. Of course, there's a similar movie called The Silence that came out the following year. They had to learn how to communicate without making sounds.

Unfortunately a kid made a fatal mistake that lead to his demise. You get to see how they had to adapt in order to survive these creatures. Virtually they had to take risks sometimes not knowing what may happen. In bad cases, some form of sound is made that instantly attracts one of these creatures. There's a few scenes that's a little difficult to watch.

I felt this was a beautifully written movie. The creature themselves works well enough with the concept. It doesn't even feel like an alien movie. The family had to be very careful when gathering supplies. Of course, the wife was pregnant for a notable amount of the movie. This goes to show younger people shouldn't be so quick to leave.

You may end up getting other people or also yourself in the process. I did like what was used for their home. You get to see how they had to adapt to their new home. Which was well hidden by the way from the creatures. I haven't felt paranoia similar to The Thing until these movies. So that's already something note worthy enough to go watch it for yourselves.

The Silence (2019)
Regardless if they were inspired or cash in on A Quiet Place. Actually it's more interesting than that. The Silence was based on the book of the same name. However the company making the film was on the verge of bankruptcy. They found a way to get their movie to Netflix which ended saving themselves from that fate.

This is also why The Silence has a notably lower budget compared to A Quiet Place. Despite that, it is actually a decent film. Like A Quiet Place, this also involves creatures that heavily relies on sound. Thankfully, the family already mastered the art of sign language. Sadly, their dog in a difficult decision was forced to remain outside while the family tried getting away.

I should point out, the dad is played by Stanley Tucci. Whose also in The Hunger Games movies as well as one of my dad's favorite movies ever. Jack the Giant Slayer, an awesome movie if you haven't seen it. Back to this, The Silence you do see how the family adapts to this crazy situation. Eventually they ran into a cult whose really over step their boundaries.

You felt sorry for the dad following what happened. The actual creatures looks more interesting than expected. I did say I do find low budget horror movies interesting, this is no exception. The Silence is amazingly done well. I would even say, this movie shouldn't be overlooked because of A Quiet Place series.

The Silence to me ended up being slightly more interesting to me. Largely due to the family themselves. I did feel bad their friend ends up in a rather unpleasant situation. In all honestly, this is a great low budget film. I don't find it surprising this film saved the movie company. It's better than some movie companies that get bankrupt with their final films not being as great as a result.

A Quiet Place Part II (2021)
To me, I ended up liking this one more than the original. But both of them are very decent films. I loved how they shown how it all begun. Then we got to see things from where the previous movie left off. The family is still maintaining things despite what happened. I should point out an actor named Cillian Murphy is in the movie.

He's widely known for Dr. Crane aka The Scarecrow in the Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy. Thankfully, he plays a fair person this time around. The girl wanted to look into something but everyone else was against the idea. She ended up later having the man come with her. They ended up to an island up to a point seem perfect condition.

Sadly knowing this a horror movie, you know good things never last. Eventually, the creatures found a way to the island. They couldn't swim making water a major common weakness. We also learned loud noises also acts as an weakness to them as well. It isn't like in Mars Attacks! case where it would kill them off.

It's more of they aren't able to do much of anything letting them to be easily kill off. After all, they heavily relied on sound, it makes perfect sense. I do like how the family is more interesting than they were in the previous movie. Not only that, we got to see more people with their methods. How they survived the creatures for so long.

Keep in mind, this is their version of the apocalypse. There's no zombies but rather unpleasant sound hunting aliens. On paper, it sounds kinda silly but it works incredibly well here. I felt we learned so much more about everything than ever before. Personally, I do prefer it just a little more over the original but you really can't go wrong with either film.

No comments:

Post a Comment