Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Bonus Halloween Blog #23 The Blob (1988) review

Hello everyone I'm XboxClown89, not long ago I reviewed The Think remake. Considering one of the biggest horror movie versus debates in existence is The Thing vs The Blob. I felt I had to follow suit by reviewing The Blob remake. The Simpsons still has my favorite parody of The Blob to date. Also warning, this one has some truly horrific death scenes.

The Blob (1988)
Personally I strongly felt the 80s was the strongest era for horror movies. Horror movie remakes like this one are still among the best of them. Yes I have seen the original version, I do like it for what it is. However I have more reasons to prefer the remake version. I will say in particular the special effects are mind blowing awesomeness.

The movie centers on an usual creature. An old man got exposed to the blob that does ends up killing him. Overtime, the blob gets notably bigger in size. Eventually being inside buildings isn't going to help much especially later in the movie. You actually see people being absorbed into it, imagines could be considered nightmare fuel.

A small group of people tried to warn the town against the blob. Yes there's a notable kill count as well. We get to see a victim gets forced down the drain of a sink. Which actually difficult to watch than even attempting to imagine that in your head I'm not kidding. Not even the military could do much to the creature.

A couple was having sex ends up getting killed by the blob. Stuff like that started to become more common in horror films. Actress Shawnee Smith later starred in Saw series. Bill Moseley is a huge name in horror films himself. I'm a huge fan of Moseley works myself even in smaller roles. The Blob only has one weakness like in the original movie cold temperatures.

Everything else doesn't harm or even make the creature back off. It is possible to completely freeze the creature though. I felt in every possible way, this movie is incredibly well done. Critics at the time didn't like the movie but it quickly became a cult classic. Honestly, it's a timeless classic because this is exactly what you want in remaking a classic horror film in a nut shell.

The Blob doesn't disappoint not even in the slightest. Death scenes are some of the most difficult watch during it's era. The actual appearance of the blob works to it's advance. There's people that gets trapped after the blob moved in that direction. Each time you get to see them, they appeared even worse. Trust me, when I say you don't wanna show your kids this movie.

This is a great movie that has a good balance of light moments as well as dark ones. In the original movie, the blob came from space inside a meteorite. In this version, it was an old experiment during the Cold War. Virtually transformed bacteria itself into a bio weapon. Honestly, this movie quickly pulls you in literately.

There isn't even much I could criticize. I felt the movie itself was a good length. The death scenes are incredibly satisfying to watch. The actual creature is truly terrifying in the movie. I felt they done the original movie justice in their own right. Personally, this would be the version more times than not I would rewatch.

No comments:

Post a Comment