Thursday, October 20, 2022

The Unlucky Thirteen #3 Halloween (2018-2022) movies review

Hello everyone I'm XboxClown89, I figured to finish what I started with Halloween franchise. Blumhouse got the rights to do their own time line to the classic slasher franchise. Thus I already got plenty to discuss since I'm going to review all three of their Halloween movies. To clarify, I previously reviewed the original Halloween movie a few years ago.

Halloween (2018)

Keep in mind, this is time line 3. Which means Halloween 2 never happened in this time line. Myers got captured, he spent forty years locked up for murders. Which is why this time line often called H40 time line. Halloween may not been the best title for a sequel. Yeah just imagine you were talking to people. Then the other person asked "But which Halloween?"

They asked "Rob Zombie's Halloween." You are like "Hell Nooo." They asked "the original Halloween?" Again you say "No it's a sequel simply called Halloween." The other person says "Well that doesn't make any sense as well as confusing." Well they chosen to go down that route. Despite the confusion over the title, this one actually a decent Halloween movie.

You can tell Myers is back with the most rough regular look yet. This version differs because he does kill one kid. Some great kills as expected of a classic slasher franchise. This felt like a few years worth of waiting for a more proper return of the character. So I felt this already heading into the right direction. Of course, I gotta mention scream queen Jamie Lee Curtis is back once again as Laurie Strode.

Thank god, they removed them being siblings in this time line. Let's be honest, why would anyone wanna stalk their own family? I still like Halloween 4, Halloween H20 and a handful of scenes in Halloween: Resurrection. I would say this is one of the best actors to ever played Myers in my opinion. It also tells a great story that you just wanna keep on watching.

Laurie became a overprepared survivor. She even transformed her very home into this awesome fire trap. The same trap got parodied with Robot Chicken with Home Alone characters lol. I did like the fight with Myers, it was so satisfying. We desperately needed an entry like this for a long time. Honestly, I still think this was the best time line by far.

Not even being locked up for forty years slowed Myers down. This one doctor tried to help Myers but gets killed off later. Don't worry this prick has it coming. I felt Curtis does a great job with her classic role. I would say one of the best sequels within Halloween series to date. I don't even have criticism because it was a great slasher film I simply wanted more of.

Halloween Kills (2021)

This is one of my absolute favorite Halloween movies ever. This is my choice for the best Halloween sequel ever since Halloween 4. Although, the previous entry was very decent too. I loved how they were able to use footage to recreate Dr. Loomis as if he was there. They do explained more things including how they caught Myers.

I gotta be honest, I knew by some leaks thanks to History of Horror club I helped managed. There was going to be a lot of killing, you won't believe how much for Myers alone. Like Halloween 2, this movie took place directly after the previous movie. At the same time, it doesn't feel rushed. Which is tricky to do with horror movies especially those in hot demand like Halloween franchise.

We get to see how all these murders affects people within the town. Not only that, like in Halloween 4 & 5, groups of people chose to take the law into their own hands against Myers. Which ends up the same but more brutal in comparison which I'll explain later on. I should mention, Laurie has a daughter as well as a granddaughter who also presented in the previous Halloween movie.

Her daughter's husband got killed by Myers in the last movie. You can still tell she is deeply upset at Myers. She even sets Myers up for an ambush. For a little while, they were beating the crap out of him. Then all of a suddenly, the killer fights back killing all of them. Some great kills including a handful I didn't even see coming.

Laurie spends most of the movie within an hospital that ultimately doesn't get attacked by Myers. A great usage of suspense there because originally in Halloween 2. Myers attacked the hospital for Laurie. Curtis still gets some good lines. I just wish she had a bigger notable presence within the movie. I meant in terms of facing Myers again or doing something to prevent Michael from killing someone.

The most surprising kill was Laurie's daughter thinking she was safe. Out of no where Myers appears to end up killing her on the spot. This movie doesn't hold back in any possible way. The emotions the characters felt is very real yet relatable at the same time. Halloween Kills does slay the holiday with a loud scream, I loved it.

Halloween Ends (2022)

The end of time line 3, I am going to be honest. Parts of it do make a good movie. However it's the major problems that led to it's current reception among fans. I strongly felt they could've waited until very late into the movie for Corey to become the new killer to start the cycle again. Sadly a good amount of the movie, Corey worked with Myers killing people.

Which also became a twisted love story. I speak for a lot of Halloween fans when I say we didn't came here to watch a love story!!! Not to mention, Myers spent a few years hiding ever since killing Laurie's daughter. Man this has to be the weakest Myers I have ever seen. Even the new killer was pushing him around.

Some characters were just palm ugly that ultimately deserves what happened to them. Parts of the story is still good I say. I felt this should've ended with both Strode and Myers dead. Sadly, Myers does die in a painful matter in a final fight with Strode. This version of her character felt more like her actual self than the actual character too.

She meant well helping Corey earlier in the movie. But things kept getting uglier overtime. We also got to see how everyone else treats both Strode & Corey in the movie. It's no surprise why Corey ultimately gave in to murder. Despite the first kill was actually brought on by the child. Who refused to let his babysitter out of the room.

The ending kinda lackluster following Myers' corpse gets grinded up by the people. This also was the last Halloween movie under copy rights with Blumhouse. So of course, they had to find a way to end it somehow. Let's be honest most time lines within Halloween aren't complete but this one is. Which is also why people are upset how they chosen to conclude the story line.

I strongly felt reducing Corey's killer story line would've greatly helped the movie. It was already disappointing up to the end, Corey was the one calling the shots. Sure, Myers did help with a cult in time line 2 from Halloween 4 to Halloween 6. Which by itself bagged a lot of questions. Personally I felt Myers should've stayed as the only killer.

After all, Myers is who we are here for. This movie almost fully pulled Friday the 13th Part 5 on us. For those that haven't seen the movie good don't. We have a copy cat killer who disguised himself as Jason so he can get away with murdering people for revenge. I am not going to lie, a good amount of Halloween Ends felt like that.

Halloween Ends isn't the ending we all wanted as the fans!!! I felt since this was Curtis' final time playing Laurie Strode. She should've died with Myers, the long running rivalry. I was happier seeing Nancy getting killed by Freddy in A Nightmare on Elm Street 3 coughs a way better movie. As a Halloween fan, this one felt the most mixed.

Of course, there's other mixed reception Halloween movies like Halloween 3, Halloween 6, and Rob Zombie's Halloween. I strongly felt I have more reasons to like those over Halloween Ends. This felt like the single most disappoint Halloween movie to date. Especially following two great entries, there's no excuse for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment