Sunday, October 2, 2022

My darkest video game purchase ever

Hello everyone I'm XboxClown89, of course we are getting closer to Halloween. I decided to go in a rather dark direction. I purchased a lot of games in my life. I really can't get enough of them. However there does exist a particular massive horror games purchase on GOG back in late 2018. Ever since, I never even came close to the level of darkness this purchase brought me.

Here's the long list of that purchase down below...

1. Waxworks

2. Postal 2 (including Paradise Lost dlc)

3. Personal Nightmare

4. Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption

5. Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare

6. The 7th Guest (original release before it got replaced)

7. The 11th Hour

8. Clive Barker's Undying

9. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

10. Dracula 4: Shadow of the Dragon

11. Dracula 5: The Blood Legacy

12. Dracula: The Resurrection

13. Dracula 2: The Last Sanctuary

14. Dracula 3: The Path of the Dragon

15. I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream (based on a book)

16. Harverster (Very evil game)

17. Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi

18. Call of Cthulhu: Shadow of the Comet

19. Call of Cthulhu: Prisoner of Ice

20. NecroVisioN: Lost Company

21. NecroVisioN

22. Zombie Night Terror (including dlc)

This purchase is the closest I ever gotten to my vision of Halloween. You have so much variety of different things trying to kill you in these games. Clive Barker was responsible for both Hellraiser as well as Candyman already enough reason to get afraid while playing Clive Barker's Undying. The most vampire games I gotten in a single purchase to this day.

Some of these games even displays a level of ugliness within people. Postal 2, Harvester, I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream and The 7th Guest with it's sequel The 11th Hour to name a few. Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare often considered to be the last great game in that franchise. So happens to be one of many Resident Evil clones out there.

Some of them even has difficult to watch animations or cut scenes. A great example of this is Waxworks. Where you play as a descendant that controls bodies of your ancestors in an attempt to end a curse from a witch. Each era has different factors what or who can kill you. It's actually impressive how much they don't hold back on these.

Zombies also has a notable presence as well as a few games centering on ghosts. Even fewer have a direct connection to the devil in some way. The 7th Guest with it's sequel as well as Personal Nightmare. Two of them heavily plays off of simulations that's warped reality in some way. Mostly Harvester & I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream in that regard.

You likely notice a lot of them are also horror point & click games. You can only do so much with limited controls. In Personal Nightmare's case, they give you a lot of options inside buildings that's over whelming. Some of these games are very strict. Thus making it incredibly easy to die. It's scary I gotten such a great deal scoring most of them for virtually dirt cheap prices during a sell.

There's a lot of death to be found in this purchase too. Some of these games have an interesting variety of enemies too. Mostly Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption, Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare and Clive Barker's Undying respectively. Even a smaller showcase of magic including a particular shaman in a small horror game series.

The amount of unpleasantness in some of these games is truly mind blowing. You have great horror stories that quickly pulls you right in. At the same time, you aren't even sure if you are going to survive. Nosferatu: Wrath of Malachi is one of those randomly generated map games. You can't even memorize your path to escape or rescue people within this castle.

A handful of these horror games uses technology to make it seem like actual people are in the games. Mostly The 7th Guest series & Harvester. Speaking of Harvester, it has some of the most difficult cut scenes to sit through I ever experienced. I gotta mention the famous game over cut scene. This man whose missing his lower half is the solo security guard with a device that can land all the nukes.

Well if you use the wrong phase, he guns you down. By accident he presses the button with an explosion being viewed in Steve's eyes. I also do need to mention something a little more serious as in real life. The guy who played Steve in that game did get arrested years later. Which kinda helped made the game even darker than it already was.

Some of these games have twisted endings. Zombie Night Terror even brings zombies to the moon. No where is safe from these horror games. You get to experience such fear you may never experience before. You could even say the very thought of it may be too much to accept. Regardless, this remains as my single darkest video game purchase I ever done.

We covered so much dark things, I don't think I could ever surpass the amount of horror this brought. Even my very soul wasn't fully sure what I was in for at the time of buying these games. I still want more horror games in my collection. In all honestly, I do recommend a fair amount of these classic horror games.

I should say Harvester may not look like it. It's essentially nightmare fuel game incarnate. I already fully reviewed the game previously. But I will say this there's virtually no way a game like this could exist in today's gaming market. This felt like a rather unusual game in it's genre that maybe went a little too far.

Harvester is in all seriousness a truly horrific experience. We have so much ground to cover but we aren't trapped in Hell for an eternity you got time. This very purchase is still mind blowing to me. I never realized how truly dark it actually is. On the surface, it doesn't appear to be that bad. Until you play a handful of certain games within that purchase.

All of a sudden, you are freaking out wondering what you just played. Which is becoming more common from indie developers today. Speaking of that, I seen more originality with them than from major game companies. On a side note, horror games has a different aspect from everything else horror that forever sticks with you as if you had to experience it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment