Thursday, October 20, 2022

The Unlucky Thirteen #12 Sleepy Hollow (1999)

Hello everyone I'm XboxClown89, I will be honest I had to change plans. But I promise it is a great horror movie. Two of my favorite things is Halloween & director Tim Burton when he can do what he wants. There is a particular late 90s adaptation Burton has done. Easily, one of his finest works in the 90s hands down.

Sleepy Hollow (1999)
Like many adaptations, it was based on The Legend of Sleepy Hollow book by author Washington Irving. We're talking about an book even older than the famous novel Dracula. Some of Burton's usual stars like Johnny Depp, Christopher Lee, and Michael Gough. I should also point out Christina Ricci stars in the movie.

She is widely known for being Wednesday in The Addams Family movies excluding Addams Family Reunion. She also appearing in the upcoming Wednesday Netflix show. I really gotta say I'm already a huge fan of Christopher Walken. But this is one of my favorite roles he's ever done. He's so menacing as the headless horseman kinda like Jason Voorhees or Michael Myers in better Halloween movies.

I strongly felt Tim Burton perfectly nailed this adaptation incredibly well. I always enjoyed the movie for years, I wouldn't mine rewatching it soon myself. Depp himself plays Ichabod Crane, a rather interesting take on the character. The cast all stands out in their own right. I would say this is one of the scariest Burton movies.

Also yes there's a lot of kills in this movie too. At first, it appears the headless horseman was randomly killing people. It turns out, he's being manipulated by a witch. There's some great sequences in this movie. Like the man whose running away to only get beheaded or two people fought the headless horseman.

This made a headless corpse essentially into a hitman for the witch. Don't be fooled, this guy can fight amazingly well. I would say this is Walken's best performance in Burton's works. Of course, Depp had to be the main character trying to protect people to the best of his ability. I always speak so highly of this Burton film for years.

I loved how they went about the story as a whole. This is among the last truly great movies Burton made. You have a good balance of everything. I can't even criticism it because it's in all honestly that damn good of a movie. There is no true boring moments in this movie. Even the scene where the witch got what she deserved was beautifully done.

I liked how they shown the horseman before his death. If Walken wasn't scary before, he's much scarier here. This felt like a true classic you gotta watch close to & on Halloween. You get to learn so much but none of it felt unnecessary either. Sleepy Hollow is a true masterpiece among his works. I would be proud to even shake his hands for movies like this.

You felt like you're in the era. Especially when people gathered about what's going on. You kinda wish you could help out. Of course, it's a great movie you are going to kept getting more into what's going on. Sleepy Hollow is a must watch film. The audio is done just right as well. You know it's a Tim Burton movie with composer Danny Elfman is involved.

Here's a movie that takes itself seriously. At the same time, how things plays out is rather interesting. Like Crane actually on the verge of solving a murder mystery. This is a movie that really doesn't hold back in any sense of the word. From this point, what else could I possibly say that already haven't been said about it before?

Sleepy Hollow is a great movie with rather interesting characters. They nailed the time period it's set in perfectly. Even the witch stands out in her own right. I would even say it's among the best adaptations of the story ever made. Now this is why Burton stands out when he can do exactly what he wants. Some may argue not quite the perfect Tim Burton movie.

I still think among his 90s movies it should be considered among the best of them. Not to mention, everyone delivered in their performances. This is a movie everyone involved can look back truly proud of their work. Especially Tim Burton himself who really knocked it out the park. I highly recommend people go watch this movie as soon as possible, it's well worth your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment