Saturday, October 1, 2022

Hocus Pocus 1 & 2 review no spoilers

Hello everyone I'm XboxClown89, I'm not done reviewing movies just yet. Which is fitting for what I'm about to review. In my long blog history, there's a particular Halloween classic I haven't reviewed. It isn't technically a horror movie but often became a stable of a movie you should watch close to or on Halloween.

I am talking about Hocus Pocus but wait there's a surprise. I recently seen Hocus Pocus 2 as well, so why not review both of them here together? Personally I'm not crazy for witches. Although my amazing wife absolutely loves witches so I'll do it for her. Obviously, it makes perfect sense to start at the beginning with the original Hocus Pocus.

Hocus Pocus (1993)
There was a legend about sisters who were witches that died long ago. If a black candle ever got lit under a full moon by a virgin, the sisters returns to life for one night. Hey I don't write these rules, you know witch stuff. This movie actually got moved up in release because they wanted to fair better outside of October.

You know the very month you wanna marathon anything horror. Which was risky in it's own right but this quickly became a cult classic. I do like the twists through out the story. We get to see normal people facing off against witches. We got an immortal cat as well as a zombie. There's some scenes that surprisingly made it into the movie, this was Disney after all.

I strongly felt since the movie does take place on Halloween. It does carry that vibe you'll want for that. A great cast with everything considered. I would say this movie also funny enough among one of my brother's favorite Halloween classics that isn't a horror movie. Then again, magic as well as other similar theme things was more of his thing.

I was more into vampires myself, I do plan to review a vampire classic very soon. Back to this, Hocus Pocus was a movie that surprisingly worked. It had the perfect balance that helped made the movie a timeless classic. There's plenty reasons to love this movie even if you aren't into witches like myself. Hocus Pocus is a shining example of doing something different with witches people enjoyed.

Indirectly, Hocus Pocus helped Harry Potter franchise because witches are also present within that. Which quickly became one of the biggest franchises in the world. Clearly a lot of people love witches as well as magical stuff on those lines. I am more into The Lord of the Rings, that's just me in a nut shell. Honestly, I do recommend this movie especially to introduce it to your kids.

Hocus Pocus 2 (2022)
Considering this movie is still very recently released. I will try to be spoiler free as possible. Hocus Pocus 2 does feel more like it's own movie. Kinda like Goosebumps 2 movie did to the original Goosebumps movie. Yes the sisters returns with all three original actresses reprising their roles. Of course, you can see how Disney modernize the concept to make the movie fresh rather than dated.

I would say there's more actual funny moments here than in the original movie. You get some more decent story telling as well. For a sequel most of us waited a few decades to see it. This is one of those often rumored to come out movies that kept not happening until it finally did this past Friday. Now where the hell is Beetlejuice 2 movie?

Hocus Pocus 2 does things differently which I do respect a lot. This isn't a sequel that simply reharshing the story of the original. Also anyone spoiling the beginning neither the ending shame on you for ruining the movie. Considering we waited so long some of us expected this to not be good. Truthfully, this turned out to be a surprisingly decent follow up.

You felt you are getting more of many things. I can't say which without spoiling sorry. Also considering this was Disney+ exclusive film, it's quite good. You can tell everyone involved with this movie had a lot of fun. Always a good sign for stuff like this. This felt like a movie well worth the long wait. At the same time, it is delivering in ways we didn't even consider or seen coming in the first place.

Hocus Pocus 2 to me is funnier than the original. The cast turned out to be mostly decent as well. I still have slightly more reasons to prefer the original movie. I know some people close to me likely going to choose this one instead. I will say this movie ended up being more interesting than I expected as well. The story may not be perfect but I do like the surprises on the way.

To clarify, I'm not saying the story was terrible. It just kinda felt one or two changes would've went a little longer way. The witches do not disappoint here as well. Hocus Pocus 2 does give respect to the original while doing many things it's own way. It's not what people would call a reboot of sorts but an option to continue things in a rather unexpected way.

I know some people close to me are going to absolutely love this movie with a passion. It won't surprise me this ends up with a similar reception to the original movie. I wouldn't change much myself other than what was previously stated. In all honestly, this was a good follow up that's surprisingly refreshing that you could easily rewatch a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment