Saturday, October 26, 2019

Jack Red reviews Are You Afraid of the Dark? 2019 mini series

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, along with Goosebumps, I also seen a few episodes of Are You Afraid of the Dark? show. It almost got a movie but due to what happened to Paramount. They canceled it, although it got saved as a limited three episode mini series. This is it's own story from the actual show.



Sadly I haven't finish watching the actual show to do a review on that. But I did plan on covering these episodes. Based on what I recall of the actual show, it is a small group of kids to teenagers telling scary stories. Around a camp fire in the forest when they aren't suppose to be outside. Although we do get to see some of that, it is more centered on for me a major problem.

Well oh okay I don't mine it has a carnival theme to it. But what I do mind a lot is it goes against the Midnight Society's rules. They tell scary tells that none of them are in. But Rachel ends up telling them a story with her in it that turned out to be true. She told the group about a mysterious carnival where children goes missing.

Suddenly, no one else remembers anything relating to it. This story focuses more on the newest member than what should've been an anthology of scary stories. To be fair, most actors are going a great job at acting. The actress playing as Rachel's mother is clearly overrating. It is almost like she needs to be heard rather than she speaking normal or maybe she's on drugs who really knows.

This aired several Fridays through out the month of October. So in a way this plays more towards Halloween despite noting being on the same scale as the actual show. I should mention the show got two main show runs with only member present in both of them. Surprisingly that guy isn't present here for unknown reasons.

A lot of people actually consider the show more terrifying than Goosebumps show I'm not kidding. I don't understand why the group chose to sorta mimic looks from The Purge series. I mean come on take a great look at both of those, you likely question why do that? Are You Afraid of the Dark? 2019 mini series does have some great story telling.

I felt they clearly cared about the show enough to make a few references. They did reference a small brief Zeebo cameo. Zeebo is still one of the scariest TV clowns I have ever seen. Personally Ghastly Grinner freaked me out more. Some episodes on the show does involve a carnival including Zeebo's. I would say some of the scares are a little better than what I was expecting.

I got to give praise to Mr. Tophat himself, what a truly amazing performance. He is the ring master that commands everyone working there. This sorta plays off of IT as in Stephen King book IT. Both involve a being mind manipulation people to turning a blind eye to them. Obviously this is more of a friendly horror mini series while IT more aimed to adults.

My point is this mini series doesn't wow me like Scream: Resurrection did. Yes I know that season/reboot got mixed reactions but I liked it okay. I felt if they didn't focus too much on Rachel, this could've been a bit better. Of course, they had to try throwing in a romance. I will be more honest to say Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween is better than this.

I will state the actual story with the added details is better than Scream: Resurrection or the first two seasons of Scream show alone. Honestly they delivered such an entertaining story. You can tell they weren't holding back on the scares. Like this cop gets over whelmed by a lot & I do mean a lot of scorpions.

I never seen scorpions used that much in horror related stuff. So I am glad one of my favorite creatures got used that way. Hell my favorite Mortal Kombat character is named Scorpion while I'm a Scorpio. So the whole scorpion thing is really in my alley. This felt like Rocko's Modern Life & Invader Zim movies on Netflix to me.

They do reference another famous character late in the final portion of this. They almost told a follow up story to the Ghastly Grinner. Now there's a character I remember strongly ever since first seeing him. The closest thing Goosebumps had to him was another personal favorite of mine. The Masked Mutant that also had the late Adam West.

Both of them are comic book theme that twisted parts of reality. Anyway I was a bit disappointed it got cut short. Although in this regard in a way it makes sense they ended it this way. So I'm mostly mixed at the very end of it but still a great ending. I will say they took their time to nailing this as good as they could.

Also I didn't think we get to see an underage kid driving a cop car. They do reveal a large important details in the final episode of this. You could be very confused if you only seen the first two to not ended up seeing this conclusion. Mr. Tophat sold his soul to continue running a carnival with a few problems.

Everyone will forget all of it's existence due to a particular incident that happened a long time ago. Trust me there's more to it that also explains why a said character being the only one capable of stopping him. Surprisingly the story itself had more work put into it than I originally thought. Honestly, this is one of my favorites in this franchise.

Yes I know a bold statement for someone who haven't watch every single episode. But for a limited time mini series that continues the spirit of the show. I will say it truly lived up to that legacy when it had major road blocks preventing it from happening. It is nice to see this was handled with care especially those people heavily into that show.

I am actually willing to let go this had a story that actually happened rather than a story they make up for their group at night. It does play on many things you would expect from that franchise. Thank god, Rachel's mom wasn't in the final episode of this. Sorry her character just doesn't felt quite right not trying to be rude.

No comments:

Post a Comment