Monday, October 28, 2019

Jack Red reviews The 7th Guest

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, I recently tried more than I ever have in completing The 7th Guest. This game is kinda forgotten by many horror game fans. It is more of an interactive movie than anything else. Even Bill Gates was impressed by it back in the day. You know the same guy who founded Microsoft, one of the biggest companies in the world.



I need to clarify no I haven't got to play the anniversary version yet. But I am sure I would love it more than this. The version I'm talking about isn't on digital stores anymore. The original version of this horror classic. In The 7th Guest, you play as a character that the game slowly reveals more about it.

In other words, at the end of it you will know who you are playing as. Now I thought that's a great idea. Sometimes knowing who you are in an horror game can take away from it. This was one of many early 90s games that used digital actors. You know having actual people appearing in a video game.

Right now, it is more about online multiplayer, VR & achievement/trophy hunting. But back then, this concept was a surprise they pulled it off. Sure a lot of similar style games didn't hold up for long. Which does include The 11th Hour the sequel to this game. Honestly, unlike D I am glad I can take as long at times.

Just imagine with limited controls to completing the game within two hours. I rather have some more time to figure stuff out in comparison. There is absolutely no enemies in this game. Your challenge comes in the form of puzzles. Some of them can be easy, some can be frustrating & a select few being very difficult.

I will say it right now screw the microscope puzzle. There is no set pattern with the AI being cheap & too on top of whatever you're doing. The goal is to hope you have slightly more blue slime than the AI's green ones. It could be calculated around 97% percentage of attempts ends in failures I am not kidding.

Thank god that puzzle is optional, I also heard touching a particular book gives you the puzzle. I don't know for sure if that's true. If it is I really don't want to play that puzzle ever again. Some puzzles do require a lot of patience even if you written down instructions. You will be amazed how long some of these instructions can actually be.

By the way, those still struggling on the portrait puzzle. I came across a helpful link to make completing it a lot easier. You first need to memorize the default colors you start on the puzzle. There is no set beginning pattern. But there's a lot of possible solutions with some being notably longer than others.

http://gamesolutions.efzeven.nl/7th-guest-portrait-puzzle-solution/

The actual acting is alright or a master piece if you compare it to The 11th Hour at least. I will say you also learn about the other characters through out the game. Some of them are more interesting than others like the magician. Every room mostly has one puzzle for the most part. You do get a map that could help paint an picture where to go at times.

I am aware this map was improved among in the newer 25th Anniversary Edition. I highly doubt The 11th Hour would get the same treatment. Not a lot of people knows this game was on CD-i console. Sadly it is the only game console it ever was released on. Although, I heard this port even with some changes is great.

Speaking of ports, iOS version removes some of the most frustrating puzzles out of the game. If I was playing that version, I would've finished the game by now. I felt it does give up a creepy vibe to it. Sure, there were better horror games during the 90s. Yes I confess I do prefer Harvester over this. How can you compete with something so terrifying mess up?

The 7th Guest is exploring the mansion to uncover the truth what happened there. The main antagonist loves to keep taunting you to the point he constantly repeat lines. Honestly, he does have some good lines but he has so many cheesy ones too. I prefer the cheesiness of Goosebumps: Attack of the Masked Mutant on PC.

I do see the appeal of this game, there wasn't many games attempted some of it's core ideas. But at the same time, even I got to say this version isn't aging well. I recently seen a great speed run of the 25th Anniversary version, now that's aging much better in comparison. This game can be complex in the puzzles but the story itself might not interesting enough for some.

I can only recommend this to those who love the game or similar ones in general. This game isn't a master piece you may expect. But in a way it should count as one since it does put you on the edge. Sure most of that comes from the puzzles themselves. Yet some cut scenes might be a little disturbing for some.

No comments:

Post a Comment