Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Jack Red reviews The 11th Hour

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, not long ago I reviewed The 7th Guest. Now it is time to review The 11th Hour. There are notable differences between the two. Like how they went about telling the stories or how they went about digitized actors. You play as Carl whose goes to the same house from The 7th Guest to rescue a woman. Only one actor reprises their role, in this case being Strauf himself.



The actual acting isn't as good as some actors from The 7th Guest honestly. They did make major changes to the house. Keep in mind, this game took place sixty years since the original. I should mention, an official fan game called The 13th Doll is coming out on Halloween that's a few days from now. Honestly I'm more impressed by their work than what was done here.

The 11th Hour has more puzzles where you play against the AI. I do like you can skip cut scenes just not the first long one. Seriously, some of these cut scenes takes awhile before finishing. I liked there wasn't many cut scenes in the original that were long. The longest two was oddly enough the beginning & ending respectively. You see that's perfectly fine.

To me, there seems to be a slower build up in The 11th Hour. Even with some lines making you think you need to rush the game. When there really doesn't appear to be a real time limit. You got to love when a classic horror point & click game does that lol. This game didn't have the same success as the original. In fact, I would be truthfully surprised it ends up getting an anniversary treatment.

Keep in mind, I bought a lot of horror games the same day. Just like The 7th Guest, there's some great puzzles here. I am surprised in some puzzles, when you get help you can have it do either a turn or complete the puzzle. Now this would've been helpful for several puzzles in the original. I do enjoy the soundtrack a bit more during this game than the previous one.

Although some of my favorite songs in this franchise was in The 7th Guest. The riddles are very oddly worded but quickly gets ruined after you figured them out or use the device to giving you the answers. I felt this ends up being notably easier than The 7th Guest. There is some surprises you will find as you keep playing. One nice feature comes when you do a new run after beating it.

Where you can play each puzzle as much as you want. Honestly this is a great idea considering how frustrating a lot of them are. This would've made The 7th Guest a bit better in my opinion. There is also more codes for this game too. Including skipping directly to any AI theme puzzles. Thankfully you can't actually die during the game. Well oh okay, there is technically three endings.

You get to choose between three ladies that all end very differently from each other with one of them being a twist. The 7th Guest only has one ending but it was well done. I looked it up online in advance considering I am still stuck on an piano puzzle. I felt some cut scenes being removed would've made this game much better. I do agree some of them do add to the appeal in some way as well as revealing important stuff to the plot.

Did we really needed one cut scene being mostly about kissing? This game does have some flaws but surprisingly an joyful experience. I also felt Strauf had better lines in The 7th Guest. This comes off like you are searching for someone in an haunted mansion while the original quickly becomes a ghost story. I will say the live action portions is easier on my eyes in The 7th Guest.

I will go as far to say this game looks better than D as in D game by Warp. This is also an interactive movie theme game without live action portions on a strict time limit. Once again, I do prefer not having the time limit. I kinda felt based on what I played & seen of it, D is better than The 11th Hour not better than The 7th Guest surprisingly. The 11th Hour is a true sequel in what it brings to the table.

I strongly felt The 7th Guest has a better foundation for a story overall. I mean come on this is technically a twisted love story that could or won't have an happy ending. Even the interactions with characters was done better in The 7th Guest. I would consider The 11th Hour a gem that won't be as high up to play. I will say it just falls short to everything else.

I know I'm mentioning The 7th Guest a lot but there's still one more notable thing. In a few areas is actual copies of the game. This was likely intended to be an easter egg or playing on how self aware Strauf is. The 11t Hour may not been the best title for this game. At least The 7th Guest & the fan game The 13th Doll's titles do represent what the game's about.

The 11th Hour does give you the option of game speed. Honestly this helps in some puzzles while others not so much. I also liked it is easier to memorize the actual map. Although I do prefer how The 7th Guest used red to marked finished rooms. You also can rewatch several cut scenes at any time during game play. I would say The 7th Guest is slightly better but this did try being a follow up to such a classic.

It is because of that, I have fewer people I could recommend this game to. I will say I do now respect what this game got right. The actual plot sounds more like movies that do center around some form of romance than an actual horror game. I should mention, there is little to no sexual content in this game. So parents you don't have to freak out when they're playing this.

By the way, no you can't get Samantha to make a move for you or skip the final puzzle. In most AI puzzles, Strauf is incredibly cheap. They demand you to be trying being perfect but it's impossible. He will go right for moves to screwing you over. This is one of many major reasons why I do prefer The 7th Guest. It is kinda sad, they indirectly add more time to the overall length by having them when having more puzzles you're alone that could've been fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment