Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Freddy rematch (Mortal Kombat 9 vs. Dead by Daylight)

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, A while ago I did a comparison between a few games with horror movie slashers. I did state when I got to play the new Freddy rework that I would make a follow up comparison. Now this is going to be a lot closer this time. With Halloween being a few weeks away, I figured no time was more perfect.

https://jackred1989.blogspot.com/2019/05/which-is-better-portrayal-of-slasher.html


Freddy no longer has to bring survivors into the dream world. This was one of the most frustrating problems he originally had. Within a particular distance, Freddy can or can't see him. He has more powers to make trying survive more difficult. Like teleporting to another generator. This slightly reworked this feature for Stranger Things' The Demogorgon.

Depending on your add ons, you'll have one of two ways to put survivors asleep. They also introduced an mechanic for the survivors to wake themselves up. But it can become more difficult as the match goes on. He also can create dream pallets in place of used up ones to throw off survivors. Among triggering them will slow down survivors.

My first Freddy match with the rework had an Merciless Killer rank I'm not kidding. To me, this is more of how Freddy should've been done. In fact, it's so good that I had to do this follow up comparison. Keep in mind, all of this is strictly my opinion alone. As many of you know I'm a huge Freddy fan.


Alright, Mortal Kombat 9 version fits in perfectly. I feel the same way about the newer Freddy rework. Sure Robert Englund doesn't voice Dead by Daylight version Freddy. But the person voicing him to a degree still sounds close enough to the character. I also liked when you teleport, blood will come out of that generator you teleported to.

Obviously most finishing moves for MK9 version does reference several kills from his movies. Yes before Jason got that in his own game. I kinda liked how those were done in comparison too. Sure they didn't change Freddy's mori that's a shame. But they did change up stuff you can equip to him. Thus making him more fun to play.

It is actually fun to be a survivor going up against him instead of how it originally was. Freddy is still one of the most difficult to master killers, I should know. Sorry folks, I don't have Stranger Things characters yet. Honestly showcasing powers in Dead by Daylight does bring out what you would expect from the character.

Yes Freddy does have a story with an ending in Mortal Kombat 9. They recently added archives to Dead by Daylight. It is likely stuff related to Freddy will be in there soon. Sadly neither version has an alternate outfit. Although some licensed characters do have cosmetics they can wear. So it is possible Freddy might get that in the near future.

With everything considered, I have decided to go with Dead by Daylight here. Even ignoring all the crazy stuff it has. Freddy went from a questionably design to one truly worthy of his character. He used to be ranked close to or at the very bottom among the killers. Now he is ranked a lot higher since the new rework came out.

Also I do like he is one of the select few killers to have something different from the regular chase music. The add ons & sacrifices alone are way better than they originally were too. Sure between these two games, Freddy is more difficult to master in Dead by Daylight. But it is also one of those games you must play on Halloween.

No comments:

Post a Comment