Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Jack Red reviews Soulcalibur VI

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, It's been awhile since I last talked about Soulcalibur series. Recently due to a fighting game tournament event going on. Some gaming services did great deals including one I had to take. Soulcalibur VI on Xbox One, I been waiting very patiently since last year to play this. I do want to make a few key things clear.

If you want to see my previous Soulcalibur reviews don't worry I got you covered. All you have to do is go to this following link. https://jackred1989.blogspot.com/2018/01/soulcalibur-series.html

Second I already decided even before writing this to make Libra of Souls review it's own blog. Trust me there's a reason for that. So I won't be saying much about it at all during this review.


Soulcalibur VI is actually a reboot taking place in Soulcalibur I. You know like Mortal Kombat did that following the first three games while making the story it's own. Pretty much a similar concept going on. I also felt due to how they went about the story in Soulcalibur V, they had no chance to do this.

Let's get the negatives out of the way since some of you are likely wanna know what I don't like. For starters where's survival mode? This was a great mode to help you get better at the game. I was very surprised it is absent in this game. SP points can be a grind to build up despite not much in the museum to use them for.

In that regard, I felt they could've made it more fun. Like Soulcalibur IV & V, they made it easy to get a lot of money in a short period of time. Also by not using much to unlock within the museum does kinda hurt the experience a little bit. I felt more satisfy with some of the previous games. How can you do a particular character's story without fighting?

Yes hard to believe most characters get plenty of fights while Zasamel just gets cut scenes that's it. At least it wasn't as bad as a particular Guilty Gear game with it's story mode. I will say for just this story mode, it's a huge step up from previous entries. I felt not only the length was good but the actual story was interesting.

I also felt as a huge fan of their custom feature. I really wanted more for most options to custom existing characters or creating new ones. Now I know more characters are coming to the game soon. I just felt Tekken 7 ended up getting the better end of the stick. Although I did enjoy character stories separate from Story Mode more than Tekken 7 doing just one fight.

I mean come on as much as I love both these games. I want more story as well as fights don't give it that. I also felt they could've given us more versus options. Just a few more would've made it just right to keep on playing. I know to some people that seems like a small thing but it does take away from the experience.

Alright now we can talk about the good stuff. I felt they gave us a great selection of characters. Critical Edge are new finishing moves that could destroy your opponent's armor or gear. The controls are easily one of the absolute best in the franchise. Believe it or not, in data size this game is a lot smaller than Tekken 7.

Soulcalibur VI also lets you skip cut scenes. Sadly Arcade Mode doesn't have endings. But in a few ways, it's a huge step from the previous two games. The custom feature is still the most unique to date. I hope eventually it gets very good again. This is more of a achievement friendly game from the previous two as well.

I will be honest I gotten forty achievements out of forty nine. I only have one achievement that doesn't require online play left to get. I also liked we get to play as Inferno. This is done very differently to help him stand out more. Originally in a few games, he is a hidden character as well as the final boss.

Inferno was one of the few mimic characters. They removed that then made him ridiculously op I'm not kidding. Sure he only gets the Soul Edge in comparison to most characters. OMG using him is simply unfair almost like he's constantly soul charge. Some characters on soul charge are almost as ridiculous.

It's like super version of characters in newer Devil May Cry characters. Seriously I don't have a better or more clear idea how similar this is to that. Of course, there's two season passes with Season 2 coming soon. I should mention, there will be three guest characters. Geralt from The Witcher series is already included.

I also liked the dlc custom stuff includes some previous game soundtracks. I absolutely loved this since this franchise has some great songs even for fighting games. Just like Tekken 7, you can switch around the songs between the games in this. In other words, you should never truly get bored of this game at all.

Overall I got to be honest, this is one of my favorite entries. Yes there's a notable time gap between Soulcalibur V & VI. But sometimes great things comes after a long period of time. This is easily one of my favorite modern fighting games I ever played. I do need to mention, There's just enough stages to keep playing for hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment