Friday, August 9, 2019

What Sega Genesis means to me

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, I always been a huge fan of Sega Genesis. In fact I honestly wouldn't even be a gamer if I didn't grew up with one. For me playing on it or on platforms emulating their games. All of it is mostly nostalgia at it's best. It seems like I keep playing more Sega Genesis games over a few years period.


Sega Genesis to many people including myself as the definitive Sega console experience. To be fair, Sega Dreamcast is still a very impressive console in it's own right. The fact remains Sega Genesis held it's own against SNES back in the day for several years. Back in those days, a lot of licenses were made into video games.

I had several of them myself that I'm happy to list for you in just a little bit. Not many people liked the original three button controller. I did prefer the six button controller for a few reasons. Not only it was the right size but by having three additional buttons. Games that didn't have enough buttons mostly being fighting games wouldn't give you a good experience.

I always liked this console had it's own unique sound. I'm well aware so many people consider this as one of the worst sounding game consoles. But come on it had Streets of Rage 2, Rocket Knight Adventures and a few great games. Sega Genesis ran shoot em up games better than all of it's competition.

I also liked the original Genesis cases led to most game companies using it instead of small cardboard boxes. Some of the cartridges stands out on their own. A select few like Spider-Man & Venom: Maximum Carnage had red rare cartridges, I had one of those. Some allows other possibilities like Sonic & Knuckles being the perfect example here.

You put Sonic 1-3 on top of Sonic & Knuckles. One of three lock-on games plays instead. I felt two of them did expand on those games in their own way. It had a strong presentation for Sonic whose still currently their mascot to this day. I remember when Sega had such inspiring commercials. Not only this console with a couple represents the 90s.

They also acted as our way of allowing ourselves to be a part of the action. Sega Genesis is still one of my absolute game consoles to this very day. I already stated several times so this won't be anything new. I own all the Genesis games on Steam. I always been a huge supporter of Sega since a young age.

Of course when I found out Sega was pulling out of the console business. Deep down I was sad but they continue to make games while publishing others on more consoles. Now they got stuff like Yakuza series. In a way it worked out for them. They actually done crossovers with other game companies like Bandai Namco & Capcom respectively.

I remember waking up not fully being awake. I would go straight to my Genesis to play TMNT: The Hyperstone Heist. I would get around two or three stages at a time. It still is one of my favorite beat em ups of all time. There is something for everyone on this game console. Honestly this console never failed to caught my attention.

Of course, Sega is releasing a new mini Genesis console that doesn't have AtGames this time. To clarify they are responsible rereleasing variations of classic game consoles. They kept reusing their Genesis model. They even mad a portable version & a newer flashback version. To me, it's an insult how they handled such a great console.

By adding several non Genesis games to the line up makes it even more clear. They don't have our better interest. There was some Genesis games including a handful of licensed ones that pushed the limits. I actually owned two of those as a kid myself. The Adventures of Batman & Robin and Toy Story were technically impressive back in the day.

I also had Vectorman that had a similar thing going as Donkey Kong Country series. You got a 2D platformer with 3D models. At the time, this was simply unheard of but here's a few great games doing just that. Sega Genesis also has some amazing artwork designs on everything. Yes I do mean everything including their manuals.

I would like to quickly talk about some of my absolute favorite Genesis games. Streets of Rage 2 is hands down one of the greatest beat em ups I ever played. Shinobi 3 is easily one of the finest ninja games there is. Golden Axe 1 is a classic that everyone needs to play. Sonic 2 is still my all time favorite game.

To me Sonic 2 has one of the best multiplayer experiences in the franchise. I felt the overall pace was solid with some of my favorite zones ever. Obviously the codes are on spot. I really can not criticize the actual game maybe some of it's ports. This console was a major inspiration to me for a long time. I really can not sum up in words how much it truly meant to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment