Sunday, August 18, 2019

My thoughts on MediEvil 2

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, considering MediEvil remake is coming out in a few months. Also wrote a blog talking about the PS1 classic. I figured to conclude things for right now by talking about the sequel. This is currently the last game with Sir Daniel I played. I actually got a lot to say although this isn't going to be a review.


MediEvil 2 takes place five hundred years after Zarok's defeat. A man named Lord Palethorn gets his hands on Zarok's spell book. I swear Corpse Bride character Barkis Bittern was inspired by him. They added more interesting elements this time around. Like later on, you can go back in time to save your love interest from Jack the Ripper.

Yes this game does it's own take on the famous serial killer Jack the Ripper. Some levels has sections where you have to use hands. Sir Daniel can put his head on hands like on the PAL cover. You need to do this to fully explore the levels. This game does have a great variety of enemies with some of my favorite weapons.

They did change how you select levels, you get a small hub world where your allies are. Yes you can explore around, one level takes place there. Some boss fights does stand out mostly Iron Slugger being the most rememberable. Thus one boss fight turns it into a boxing match. Where you or him loses body parts with your head being the last one.

Unlike him, you do get a chance to regain lost limbs to help you in this boss fight. Of course, something I should've stated for my MediEvil 1 blog. So this is meant for both of them, Imps are annoying as hell. The sounds they make, sometimes they attempt to steal your weapons. You have a short period of time killing him or you'll lose it.

I can say they do offer better rewards for collecting chalices. Also MediEvil 2 does have some great voice acting. I will say it has some interesting level designs. I felt some bosses can be repetitive because how you do damage to them. You do get to fight Lord Palethorn's friends before the final boss. Oh man the final boss is easily one of my favorite MediEvil boss fights.

Before I describe it, I do have a confession. I mostly played the original with the cheat menu code, I mostly used it for MediEvil 2. They do bring some enemies back from the original like zombies & pumpkin creatures. This game does feel like a true sequel. Sure a few areas might not be as good but it is still a great game.

Demon is a powerful creature meant to bring forward the apocalypse. Sir Daniel was able to defeat this demon to saving the world. The ending ends up being one of the best I ever seen on PlayStation 1. After Demon falls on Lord Palethorn, he attempts to taking Sir Daniel with him but failed. He chose to enter eternity slumber with his girl friend.

Yes this skeleton knight gets a girl friend this time around named Princess Kiya whose a mummy. Yeah trying wrapping your head around that lol. Instead of the gargoyles, we get two new characters taking over their roles. Winston Chapelmount is a ghost that tells you information. The Spiv is this game's merchant that indirectly reminds me of Secret Squirrel.

Maybe that's because they both wear hats that opens up their coats just like that. Almost implying you know what we aren't going there. Instead of going to Hall of Heroes, you give the chalices to Professor Hamilton Kift. I felt I kinda prefer the map screen from the original more than it's level selection screen. Let's be honest, that map screen was beautifully done.

You get to see where exactly you're going making it feel more like a journey. Thankfully there is a saving system in place again. I do like it is easier to access the levels though. If there is one thing they did better it has to be the pictures representing the levels. Some of these sorta come off like horror movies in an sense.

MediEvil 2 doesn't fall far from the tree. It gives you most of what you love so much about the original. There's some great humor this time around. Some of the bosses to me stands out more especially Iron Slugger. They allow you to further explore the levels. You will get more satisfying chalice rewards. I felt some of the songs were among my favorites too.

No comments:

Post a Comment