Saturday, August 10, 2019

Jack Red reviews Courage the Cowardly Dog

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, I figured since I became a moderator for The History of Horror facebook group a while back. I have decided to review one of my favorite horror shows of all time. Courage the Cowardly Dog is such a crazy show that's surprisingly difficult to describe. There's just an appeal to it that makes the show a timeless classic even being compared to Scooby-Doo.


Courage the Cowardly Dog is like an even crazier Scooby-Doo cartoon with some ridiculous situations. Courage has to solve weird problems that usually affects his owners. Not as much on himself except for a handful of episodes. Whoever made that famous meme comparing American Horror Story to this, thank you so much.

The reason why I even brought it up was because most episodes acts as their own stories. Some of them do get follow up on. One particular episode originally aired like a movie being the longest in the entire show. It only lasted four seasons, I felt most of it is pretty solid stuff. Not only there's creativity but it does plenty to separate it from being considered a Scooby-Doo rip off.

For starters, there's more cartoon stuff that not even Scooby-Doo back in the day would do. Such as the time Courage fixed the climate problem with a needle & string I'm not kidding. There's a great variety of creatures that appears on this show. A lot of episodes always stick to me. Who doesn't remember the stone tablet episode?

Someone took some of it's audio for a Garry's Mod map. In this episode, Courage had to solve how to get through three curses. It turns out by the third one they had to give it back or they'll die. There's some weird animation in this show too with some live action portions to it. I felt because how it was done.

Most of those made an already creepy show even more creepy. Usually Courage goes upstairs to get answers from his computer. A few times he had to solve it on his own like when his computer was possessing Muriel. Some episodes is ridiculous in sense how much punishment this little dog takes. The most famous of those being from Mecha Courage episode.

They do some difficult concepts very well. Trust me when I say due to a lot of these. I got every reason to say this is one of the greatest cartoons I have ever seen. This show plays on almost every major kind of fear imaginable. Some episodes takes place away from his home that also stands out on their own.

I remember watching What a Cartoon! that had several cartoon shorts. Among them was the pilot episode of Powerpuff Girls. Johnny Bravo & this show. I also remember being freaked out by it's pilot episode too. Obviously so much stuff going on, they couldn't have it all happening like in one long story.

This is almost like the show Goosebumps done more right in a few ways. Maybe in the near future I'll talk about that to a greater degree. For right now, Courage the Cowardly Dog has some impressive animation for it's time. Sure season 4 was the weakest season but it didn't have many episodes that sucked either.

Courage has so much going for it that I'm heavily against the thought of it possibly getting rebooted. How can you even consider rebooting a show this crazy? You would have more luck doing The Animaniacs in comparison. This is a special kind of craziness I simply am not enough alone to justify.

You can still watch this show on Netflix. I probably watched this more than many Cartoon Network classics growing up. It meant so much to me in a lot of ways. Clearly it was inspiration for some of the stuff I done on my blog. I always felt as bold this statement is, Courage to me is better than Scooby-Doo.

No comments:

Post a Comment