Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Jack Red reviews Libra of Souls (Soulcalibur VI)

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, ever since the beginning this franchise does an alternate mode. Where you have to play through several stages with a lot of depth to em. Libra of Souls is no exception to that since it's the other Story Mode. Yes you heard me correctly, you get two different story modes. This one you have to create a character that's only playable in this mode.


Libra of Souls is broken up into essentially five chapters. Beyond the epilogue portion, I don't know if that by itself has an ending or keeps going forever. Mostly you will be fighting original characters. At times you will be fighting some fan favorites. Just like similar modes in the past, a lot of these will alter certain aspects to test your skills.

There's this map as shown in the picture above. You can choose to be good or evil on the way. You also can choose how some parts of the story plays out. No not like Telltale games, but close enough. You can level up to level 99 as well as get experience on any character's fighting style. You can upgrade weapons after you unlock the first blacksmith.

You also can hire mercenaries as well as defeat a few characters to automatically have some on hand. I got three characters at level 90 after I defeated them. There isn't a real limit how far you can go or which angles you can't move. Slowly it gets you going then suddenly a lot of icons keep popping up. Leveling up isn't a chore at all in this mode.

To be honest, fighting these so called abyssal beings not to be confused with the ancient characters. Those are mostly original characters or fan custom outfits for several characters. Believe it or not, I fought Homer Simpson in a match lol. This story mode is much longer than the other one in it's entirely.

I also felt there's more depth to it as well. I mean you can level up towns up to level 4. You also can buy several level weapons at a few locations. If you are lucky, you could get a very high level weapon after you find a difficult match. This journey makes you actually feel like you're doing it. Now there are a few problems that doesn't turn me off but could to others.

A lot of missions are too similar to each other. I did want just a little more variety in them. Otherwise I'm good let's move on. There isn't many cut scenes but you won't expect during the first run when the other cut scenes pops up. Usually both story modes gets this rough series of pictures involved with conversations.

Some of these rare missions can be difficult for the wrong reasons. For example, there's a mission you can only win by ringing out your opponent but their AI is too high for most methods to work. Thankfully the book icons act as important story missions or cut scenes. Yes sometimes you can get end up with just cut scenes, at least it's done better than Zasamel's story.

Yes you can further customize your character. Actually early on, you get this place. You can alter if you want more SP points to spend on customizing your characters or buying stuff with money. Yes there is a training location as well. I felt this entire story mode was it's own game. I hate to say something I knew a lot of people will take the wrong way.

Not only I do prefer this over the other story mode which I also liked. I highly felt this made up for the previous three games in that regard. Soulcalibur III loved putting button sequences at places you wouldn't expect them that alters the story. Soulcalibur IV didn't have much of a story mode at all. You do a few fights with a small description.

They did work in fighting one of the Star Wars characters for some reason. Although this mode was fun for the time, I just wanted more than this. Soulcalibur V where to begin on it's story mode? They confirmed they removed possibility a few hours worth of game play due to being short on time. Honestly you should've given us separate character stories instead.

Also due to how much it focused on an handful of characters. There's too many important questions left unanswered. I felt it was at least told better as well as more fun than Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite's. I liked how they brought in other characters. You wanna know the most surprising part? Believe it or not, this mode is actually canon to the story line.

I guess they took a page from The Boss from Saints Row series. Obviously this by itself bags a lot of questions too. But at the same time, this allows us to get closer to the overall experience. This mode also has random battles that could occur while traveling over a notable distance. If you are moving very close to a location you can't simply move the cursor to.

You don't have to worry about that maybe money. They also have skipping levels in this mode too. In fact, the more I was playing it. The more I realized, I was leveling up very rapidly. It took me around nine hours at least to beat this mode once. Libra of Souls is how I always wanted to play this series. I do understand some people's problem with this mode but it does deliver on it's promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment