Saturday, August 10, 2019

Jack Red reviews Ninja Scroll movie & anime

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, it's time to take you to the first over English Sub anime movie I ever seen. Ninja Scroll was at a local library I rented a few times because I love that movie. You could even say it was a major reason why I got into anime growing up. So for me as a fellow otaku I must do a review on this classic.

1. Ninja Scroll (1993)

Ninja Scroll is about a man named Jubei that was forced to kill his own clan. Which led to him killing the guy responsible. Mysterious Genma is revived that's commanding a new group. It is up to Jubei to settle the score once & for all. Keep in mind, the 90s didn't get many notable anime movies. Now you probably could name a lot of good & bad anime movies.

Just imagine back in the day you would have this, Vampire Hunter D & Ghost in the Shell. I didn't name Akira because that's more of a late 80s movie but I still recommend it. Yes there's a famous rape scene. The animation alone blew my mind as a child. Everything is done so incredibly well. The kills are very violent as well as bloody.

This is more of an original concept that's loosely inspired by a Chinese book that's based on a real event. Ninja Scroll has a lot of great characters. The artwork alone is very impressive for it's time. I would even say to me, it was the best looking 90s anime movie. This movie doesn't hold back telling it's story very well.

I felt I just simply wanted more than what was actually given in this case is a great sign. It sucks we may not get a movie sequel. Thankfully what I'm reviewing next is the closest thing to one. I should mention I searched often for a DVD copy of this movie. It took me a few years since first going to Otakon but I finally myself one.

2. Ninja Scroll: The Series (2003)

This is one of the first animes I ever gotten from Otakon. For those that doesn't know what Otakon is it's an anime convention. For the longest time it was in downtown Baltimore now being in Washington D.C., oh the memories. Ninja Scroll: The Series takes a little over a decade since the movie.

Jubei must end this feud between two clans while protecting a light maiden. You actually get to see how scary Jubei is to fight. Some of the weirdest creatures I ever seen like this eyeball creature. This was only thirteen episodes long but it held up well compared to the movie. The old man from that movie is a recurring character here.

Ninja Scroll: The Series DVD boxset I gotten came with a metal case and a cheap Jubei figure. It broke very early on so I had to get rid of him. But I still own everything else with it. The actual boxset had some great artwork. This is a true sequel that only acts as it's own story. I liked they done it like this because just imagine they chosen to make it a more direct sequel.

Chances are it probably wouldn't be this good in comparison. Also by doing that allows them to take more time making it despite the strict airing of these episodes. I felt this was a great way to continue it's legacy. I was very happy to own it from Otakon to this very day. Honestly if you can't find the movie, then look for this anime instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment