Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Top 5 Reasons Why Soulcalibur is better than Super Smash Brothers

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, I looked the other day on web. I noticed a lot of people kept comparing Super Smash Brothers to Soulcalibur like no tomorrow. Sure they got a few key things in common, but their overall experience is vastly different. But I'm not here to talk about that, no I'm here to tell you five reasons why I prefer Soulcalibur over Super Smash Brothers.

5. Libra of Souls

Super Smash Brothers started doing story mode around the second entry. I felt sure it took longer for Soulcalibur to get it right. But damn both of them in Soulcalibur VI is a lot of fun. Libra of Souls allows a custom character to go on this journey. You get to travel through this map fighting all kind of obstacles.

You can't tell me that isn't interesting unless you're bias. This mode is a bit on the long side but constantly enjoyable for the most part. The fact you can decide several parts of the story including if your character is good or evil. I highly doubt their team would do that. There's so much depth in this one story mode to rival the best they got I'm not kidding.

4. Better soundtracks

Maybe this is a bit unfair for a few reasons. On one hand sure Super Smash Brothers does have music from many franchises. It does have some great original songs as well. But Soulcalibur VI does allow you to get more previous game sound tracks. Now just imagine most of them in one game? Not only that you can change up the soundtrack to how you see it too.

This makes the game way better in the long run. Everyone has their favorite songs. Just imagine having a contest where the developers has to check some parts of it for which songs you used. I highly felt that would be an enjoyable experience. Sure these soundtracks are a part of dlcs. I do think they could be adding more of them soon.

Even if Soulcalibur VI didn't do that. The opening songs are some of the finest in those games. Even songs meant for guest characters stands out. I can't honestly name a single song I didn't like. Keep in mind, I'm not going into the full auto department here. I am mostly talking about their sound tracks. To be honest, Soulcalibur is more mystic while Tekken being more unique & unexpected.

3. More interesting guest characters

Obviously this is more of an opinion than an actual fact. No need for angry Nintendo fans to jump the gun when there's no such gun in sight. Soulcalibur II decided to use a console exclusive character. Believe it or not, I did own all three of them back in the day. The main two things this affects between all three versions is very straight forward.

One part of the intro cut scene has a short cut scene with that console's exclusive character. Of course just like most characters, they have their own arsenal. Let's be honest all of them fight very differently from each other. A handful of guest characters has to be created like Devil Jin in Soulcalibur V.

Most guest characters does fit in to some way. Obviously the Star Wars characters are just a weird decision. Sure a handful of things they do, some characters can do as well. But bringing characters that's traveling through space in the distant to go into a different universe set in the distant past. It just doesn't make any real sense.

What I'm about to say maybe the rudest statement towards Nintendo fans I ever said. Most guest characters in Super Smash Brothers doesn't really belong in there. Oh okay I could excuse characters like Sonic & Solid Snake. But some of the newer ones were clearly put in there to sell out more. I mean come on Bayonetta or Cloud Strife?

I also liked in Soulcalibur series, they explained how they got there as well as how they leave. Now this by itself makes the guest characters more interesting. I don't need to explain the same team behind Soulcalibur series also responsible for Tekken series. Very recently, Haohmaru from Samurai Shodown series is coming to Soulcalibur VI.

I also liked there's a mode you can learn more about them. This also includes listening to every voice over they got. I highly doubt you can do that in any Super Smash Brothers game. In later games with the ability to break whatever your opponent is wearing. You can do that to these characters as well. Yes some of them do have endings as well as their own stage.

PS. Soulcalibur II HD on Xbox 360 & PS3, this version gives us Heihachi & Spawn. You are only missing Link for obvious reasons. I guess he is the missing link lol.

2. The weapons

Now this one should be a no brainer. Super Smash Brothers has several types of weapons. Most of which have a few uses before it's gone. This also includes the thing you'll need to do the Final Smash attacks. Ever since Soul Blade aka Soul Edge, there's so many weapons to choose from. More recently in Soulcalibur VI, they did cut down on the number of them.

They used to be one joke weapon for every character. Sometimes you can get a Soul Edge & Soul Calibur versions of your standard weapons. Now this by itself is pretty awesome. There's more of a weapon variety in direct combat style than being all over the place like in Super Smash Brothers. Also doing Critical Edge attacks feels more satisfying to me.

Some games also has their so called ultimate weapons that isn't those abyssal weapons. In Heihachi Mishima's case, he simply fights without any of his gauntlet I'm not kidding. Some weapons works better than others. Some of them just looks amazing especially some of the harder ones to get. I felt this plays more into how you prefer to use your characters thus giving you a great experience.

1. Customization

Before I go into this, I already feel like at one person will say something like. "We can create stages & share em online what do you got?" Honestly what's the point of creating stages is there's more clear limitations. I don't think there is much of a limit for creating characters or outfits for existing ones. I felt both ways this is ultimately more of how a fighting game should go.

Let's be honest, too many of you are focusing on bad jokes. Sure there's some interesting stages out there. Too bad it's so covered up by these horrible ones for even me to notice. Also I like how Soulcalibur keeps track of your custom work. In just Soulcalibur VI not including Libra of Souls characters.

You can create up to one hundred custom characters. There's so many people recreating characters from many franchises. In fact, some of them are actually in Libra of Souls to fight. The main point is what's good of a custom stage if a custom character simply goes more the distance. I can use any custom character in most modes of play too.

I am really not trying to directly upset people. I just felt Super Smash Brothers went from a once great franchise to a complete sell out shadow. I used to respect it among some of my personal favorite fighting game franchises. Honestly Soulcalibur just allows more creativity in areas it matters more. Sure the process might be more tedious but at least the testing process is much simple & not boring.

Also I can customize their fighting pictures too. Yes I have to choose one fighting style unless it has a mimic character's. Which is essentially cheating the process since they can use any fighting style just chosen at random. Soulcalibur also similar customization to that of Saints Row series including their voices.

No comments:

Post a Comment