Saturday, August 10, 2019

Jack Red reviews Rocko's Modern Life: Static Cling

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, finally I get to talk about one of my absolute favorite Nick Toons of all time. Rocko's Modern Life was a very different kind of cartoon for it's time. They actually took risks like Rocko's job as a sex hotline operator I am curious how did something like that passed at the time. There was an SNES game I never got to play but I heard it's terrible.

I grew up with Aaahh!!! Real Monsters as well, I did own it's game. I will say based on what I seen of Rocko's Modern Life game, it's garbage compared to their game being much more like the show. I really didn't come here to talk badly about this cartoon. I always been a huge fan of it since I was a kid.

Yesterday, Rocko's Modern Life: Static Cling movie came out on Netflix. You bet I had to go watch it as soon as I could. Don't worry I'll tell you exactly what I think of it. I will say this for twenty years, this felt more worth the wait than the final season of Samurai Jack to me. I can't wait to review Invader Zim movie coming also to Netflix in a few weeks.


Rocko's Modern Life: Static Cling continued off of the final episode. No I personally haven't seen that episode so I was very surprised what was in store. They got a lot of the same people involved with the show including the voice actors and it's creator Joe Murray. This felt like something right out of the 90s.

To me this was much more than just nostalgia. This was a movie I personally thought was doomed from the start. To be honest I'm already eating my own words because this is a great movie. Most Nick Toons quickly got movies back in the day. The fact we waited twenty years for this being a lot better than I was expecting, I am impressed.

This movie does a great job updating itself to modern times. Sure some jokes came out being forced but it has some great ones in there. This recreated the ridiculous of the show in a surprising refreshing way. Not only it felt like I was watching the show again. I also felt like this movie was easily one of the best Nick movies I ever seen period.

This entire movie centers around something that quickly becomes more obvious as it goes on. Of course this annoying cloud character was screaming the point right at your faces. Keep in mind, Rocko, his dog and two friends was in space for two decades. They missed out on a lot of changes. It comes off like some Planet of the Apes movies where time becomes alien to them.

Rocko's Modern Life did last four seasons that got a lot of praise. It was a surprisingly well written show in a lot of ways. I felt most of what made it so great was also in this movie. I am very happy to be alive to see this movie. Honestly I quickly got interested as the movie goes on. I won't fully spoil the major twists.

I will say a select few characters have some surprises for you that most of you won't see coming. The actual plot after they get back to Earth becomes a huge joke taken very seriously. Just imagine something like The Price is Right if the world depended on it still going on television like this. Let's be honest that show will keep going for eternity.

I can safely say this movie was not an attempt to cash in on nostalgia or the name. This movie was purely made for those like me who loved the show. I really wouldn't mine owning every episode of it like The Ren & Stimpy Show. Honestly they did an amazing job within two years of this being made. Yes it took two long years but we finally got it.

For those who loved the show, what are you doing go watch this movie on Netflix right now!!! I am very happy to see a personal favorite given the must needed respect it once had. I remember going straight to their channel to just watch an episode or two of this show. Honestly I can't say enough good things about it since I really don't see anything being any real issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment