Sunday, May 26, 2019

Which is a better portrayal of slasher villains in video games?

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, today I want to do a few quick comparisons of a handful of slasher villains. All of them are still heavily being talked about by everyone today. To clarify I will not be covering Michael Myers since I don't own Call of Duty: Ghosts thus doesn't have a particular dlc. I will say this should be interesting.

Round 1: Freddy Krueger (Dead by Daylight vs. Mortal Kombat 2011 game)
This is a rather interesting case since both are dlc characters directly taken from 2010 film. Freddy gets a map as well as a survivor from that movie. In Mortal Kombat 2011 game, he has two claws. At first I did question it but very quickly made sense. I would say in just comparing the appearance MK has the advantage.

Although Dead by Daylight did stay more true to his concept. Where he stalks teenagers in their dreams. I should mention Freddy does have an ending in that MK game. Freddy is also called The Nightmare in Dead by Daylight. The biggest surprise is Robert Englund himself voices Freddy in that MK game.

Not only that he does have finishers all referencing some of his best kills from his franchise. I have to be honest to say he fits in perfectly. Even better than some of the later horror icons in the following game. Sure in Dead by Daylight you can use add ons, offerings and perks. It does take longer to master Freddy than it is does in that MK game.

One advantage Dead by Daylight does have is among prestige him three times. He will have bloodier versions of what he's wearing. Personally this version of the glove is better than both his claws in MK game. Honestly this is a close one but I have to give it to MK this round for doing the extra touches. Also because Englund later voiced The Scarecrow in Injustice 2, which I highly praised.

Winner: Mortal Kombat 2011 game


Round 2: Leatherface (Dead by Daylight vs. Mortal Kombat X)
Obviously it is confusing to follow all of these movie time lines. But both of these games took Leatherface from The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. But MKX also brought his 2003 remake look in. Now this is kinda strange because most characters has an option to switch out costumes/outfits. In his case, his three fighting styles comes with their own costume.

Keep in mind, originally Leatherface was coming to Dead by Daylight in a chapter. It's not clear what happened to turn it into a paragraph. Basically just releasing Leatherface without a map or survivor. Of course there already was a similar character based on him named The Hillbilly. Let's be honest if I chose to use him instead of Leatherface from the same game, this would've been a lot closer.

Leatherface does use his chainsaw in both games. In fact both does have a finishing move involving it. Honestly I felt MKX simply done more for this character. He does look better but not as much as my previous comparison with Freddy. In Dead by Daylight, you can only use his hammer or chainsaw.

His chainsaw for the most part can down survivors in one hit. He also can down multiple survivors at once being one of the select few to do that. I don't need to mention chasing people with him can be fun at times. I felt playing as him in MKX to me was simply more fun in the long run. You get three costumes with some truly sick finishers.

I do need to mention a few things. Leatherface more recently got four additional faces he can wear in DBD. But this requires sacrificing the original four survivors twenty five times. Yeah no thank you, also I will be honest to say his achievements in that game are a lot of fun. Leatherface simply works better in MKX but he still works well enough in DBD.

Winner: Mortal Kombat X or XL


Round 3: Jason Voorhees (Friday the 13th: The Game vs. Mortal Kombat X)
There is so many reasons I chose to save this one last. Both games involves a similar method of creating kills involving motion caption. Unless the previous two comparisons, both of these following games does a lot for Jason. In MKX, Jason has very different fighting styles with one allowing him a temporary second chance.

I am not going to lie, Jason looks truly amazing in both games. I would say controlling Jason is slightly better in MKX. In both games, he delivers some truly brutal kills. Yes he does have an ending too. But I felt Friday the 13th: The Game does even more with him. You can play up to eight versions of Jason.

NES game Jason remains as an alternate color palette for Part 3 Jason. Uber Jason came very close becoming playable until a lawsuit. Although through modding people got to play as him. I should mention if you were one of those that funded this game. You are given an exclusive Savini skin created by the legend himself Tom Savini.

Each Jason has their own pros, cons and kills. Yes it can be annoying to find the counselors at times. I will say MKX Jason does a great job displaying why so many loves him in the first place. Sure there is some weird glitches in Friday the 13th. The fact you have some of the songs on maps taken from several movies.

I felt this game was more fan service than his dlc in MKX. Keep in mind, the online portion to me is terrible in many ways. It is simply better to play as Jason online in MKX. It is way faster even for King of the Hill matches. There's a lot of great things about both versions. I believe the best reason why Friday the 13th takes this is Kane Hodder.

Yes the man who played him in four back to back movies from Part VII to Jason X. Clearly MKX took more inspiration from Freddy vs. Jason. Which is still one of my favorite crossover horror movies ever. I highly recommend playing both these games if you truly love Jason. But if I had to choose, it has to be Friday the 13th without question.

There is a few things I do need to mention. In Friday the 13th, there's three dlcs that adds more kills to three basic versions of Jason. Some of these are brutal possibly difficult to watch. There is also an offline mode as well as challenges but you can only play as Jason. I do like challenges has mode exclusive kills that really do stand out.

Winner: Friday the 13th: The Game

No comments:

Post a Comment