Sunday, May 12, 2019

Jack Red reviews Into the Badlands (AMC show)

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, I don't watch a lot of shows on AMC channel. I first watched Into the Badlands from the beginning. My wife loss interest during season 2 thus chose to not watch season 3. I do have a lot to say about this show. But let me go directly to the elephant in the room. I usually don't watch material art shows with some animes being an exception.


Into the Badlands changed so much from how it was. I don't have the time to fully break down major key moments that led to a very different story. Originally the badlands was ruled by several barons. These barons are cruel people that wants all of the badlands for themselves. At one point, a former baron was on the verge to going to war.

To sum it up season 3 is more about actually saving the badlands from someone worse. A lot of major twists leading to most fitting moments. Some of them however led to questionable directions. The written wasn't great but at least the fighting scenes are great. The kill scenes are mostly beyond what you would expect.

It can be more brutal in some ways to The Walking Dead shows on the same channel. Obviously fighting is present in every single episode. The story is still there but it could've been more flashed out. As much I would've used the perfect example, a particular fan base would eat me alive over it. So I will say something else instead.

The actors do their characters well enough. I have to say my favorite character has to be Bajie played by Nick Frost. You know that fat guy from Shaun of the Dead or Hot Fuzz. Some of his moments in season 3 are hilarious. Ever since the beginning, we hear stuff about a place called Azra. Season 3 fully confirms everything about that place.

I do enjoy watching Sunny doing what he does best. He reminds me of a particular manga/anime character Kenshin Himura. Both of them used to be the top killers that wanted to live the rest of their lives in peace. In both cases, they had an enemy that has a connection to them in some way. Season 2 is more of the way of barons was dying out.

The Widow almost loss what she believed in until a particular moment with The Master. Before she was willing to do whatever it takes to get what she wants. Now she knows how horrible she's been to people. Season 3 also explains more about the gift. Yes I know not the best name for those powers. It is usually used to increase their ability to fight without holding back.

We do get to see a few alternative versions like Pilgrim's woman can see into the future. In one part her eyes turned red kinda like Crowley's smoke in Supernatural. Yeah I don't want to discuss Supernatural just yet but it is on my list. The Pilgrim has his own gift capable of deactive the gift in other people.

He forced his brother Sunny to give him his son's gift. Which turned him into a monster. Basically because that wasn't his, the darkness within consumed him. You see your gift can be stopped from taking you over with help. In his case, he chose what he believed to be power. I should mention the character M. K. not what you are thinking has a roller coaster of a story.

He started as an apprentice of Sunny's over his old baron. But Sunny knew he had to hide things from him. Over the course of the show he starts becoming more of a monster. In his mind, everyone except The Pilgrim lied to him. After an explosion, he virtually lost what was left of his humanity. By this point he was essentially his right hand man.

All three seasons do connect to some survivors of Azra. There's a lot of stuff that quickly becomes predictable over time. The simple break down is talking to fighting to talking to fighting again. It comes off like Batman 1966 show in that way. Except that show was more entertaining to watch. I am not saying this show is terrible.

I would say for AMC at least it could be seen as a gem. Other than that, Into the Badlands might get a chance to continue on other channels or on Netflix like Lucifer. I highly doubt that would happen though. The final episode left some things unfinished like a former clipper wants revenge. By the way for a few seconds as Sunny dies his eyes changed colors.

Supposedly if the show continued, his gift would've resurrected him. Although we know so little about what his gift actually does. The barons are all pricks in their own right yet I can respect them over Pilgrim. All he wants to do is destroy the world. His way is you join us to bring a new world or die with everyone else.

Into the Badlands is a strange show indeed. At on point a previously killed off character gets revived. Which also led to a quickly second death of another character. I never seen a show where someone dies very quickly even after a resurrection before. The badlands went from being ran by barons to The Widow for the better.

Season 3 is filled with a lot of deaths too. We had to wait several months not hearing much  to find out it got canned. But they did sign a contract allowing the final eight episodes to air. I am glad Pilgrim got what was coming to him. I should mention the Black Lotus, they are a secret community committed to killing the gifted to protect the world.

Despite the name this is very different from the capital wasteland of Fallout series. No one is every safe for long on this show. I am still surprised about the part when The Widow owned M. K. with her gift. I was actually mind blown this happened. Usually I was hoping for something bad to happen. Her new thing of doing things won me over.

Now the big question do I even remotely recommend this show? To be honest it's a rather tough sell. If you enjoy material art shows you may enjoy it. Otherwise I have to say no I can't. Into the Badlands changed dramatically in a few seasons. Sadly it didn't changed for the better in time. I will say out of respect there are some good episodes if you are patient enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment