Saturday, November 30, 2019

Jack Red reviews Pandemonium!

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, I recently got a few games from Black Friday deals at GOG. I gotten Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Hitman: Blood Money, Blood: Fresh Supply, Gex 1 and both Pandemonium games. Today I will be talking about the original Pandemonium game. I remember playing this on PlayStation 1 many years ago.



Pandemonium! follows Nikki & Fargus who released a creature that's destroying their village. This was the closest thing for the longest of time I ever got to play that's similar to Nights into Dreams. Seriously, you will see some similarities just watching some of their game play. Vastly different games I know but it's just something you simply can't shake off.

There is eighteen levels with three boss levels in total. This game has a weird method of continuing/saving your game. Instead of several methods you would expect especially in PC version's case. You have to use passwords given to you every time you finish a level except the final boss. Depending on things, you could have twenty lives with one of the power ups included or not so much.

Pandemonium! does have some confusing but frustrating level designs. There are several great levels if you have the patience or you can play with cheats. I am happy I can use my controller. There is some difficult platforming in this game. I also liked the ending credits allows you to play right up to the end part.

I haven't played many platformers that done it. The more recent has to be Sonic Colors on Wii. There are notable difference between the two playable characters. I didn't get far in this as a kid. It took a while for me to beat the final boss. This game's difficulty does spike a lot especially when you don't want it to.

I will say this is a good platformer with some great songs. You kinda have to excuse PC version's cut scenes since they had to render it from the PlayStation 1 version. I have one other game with that, D as in the interactive horror movie style game. Pandemonium! does have some good power ups. Only a handful of levels late into the game, the path can be confusing.

This game does have some good art design for it's time. Keep in mind, the same company that published this also made Gex series. But the developers so happens to be the very team to do Spryo Reignited Trilogy & one port of Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy. It is nice to see they are still around.

Pandemonium! is a weird platformer since it moves sorta like Nights into Dreams at times. You will be moving in directions you won't expect at times. It is like they were attempting to giving us an 4D game but still stuck in 3D. It has some annoying enemies but you can work around them. I can only recommend such a weird game to those I know who would enjoy it.

By the way, I am not sure when I'll get around playing Pandemonium 2. I do hope to get to it soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment