Monday, November 25, 2019

MediEvil Comparison by Jack Red

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, I recently got to 100% completions in both PS1 & PS4 versions of MediEvil. I never worked this hard for a comparison before. This will be different from my previous comparison blog with MediEvil because I'm comparing these two versions against each other. I done similar blogs in the past including Resident Evil 1 & 2 respectively.



Considering these versions are similar in most categories. I will likely have to strip them a part more than I regularly would for this. So with that in mind, I want MediEvil in general to be on most gamer's list of games to play. After all, it is amazing underrated series. It truly deserves more respect than it currently gets.

Round 1: Audio


Right off the bat, I'm picking hairs to decide which has the better overall audio. In terms of songs, both versions are great. I felt the better sound effects are in PS4 versions. I know some people would be funny about talking audio with a notable amount of time passed. But I do think both of them can stand the test of time.

Truthfully, I want to give the sound effects to PS4 version but I actually prefer PS1 version's soundtrack more. Not by much though, it is a surprisingly close category. It very easily could've become a draw. But I felt I will do what I believe is the right thing to do. I will be awarding particular aspects to both versions.

For better sound effects


For better overall soundtrack


Round 2: Graphics


I will say right out of the gate for their respective consoles. These games look absolutely amazing in their own right. Obviously, there are some limitations sure. But I strongly felt both versions do deliver a strong impression on those who play it. The original version uses more black with fewer colors.

The newer version does use more overall colors with impressive visuals. Speaking of visuals, those in the cut scenes in PS1 version blew me away. This is a category some people are flat out bias in. I however will be taking my time to discuss which version looks more amazing to me. Both of them do share almost everything present making this very difficult.

What this comes down to is simply which one appeals more directly to you? If you are more of an retro gamer then you are likely to choose the PS1 version. But if you are more of a modern gamer then you are likely to choose the PS4 version. I will be honest, this will come down to personal taste. If it weren't for the level pictures in PS1 version, I would've went with a draw here.

I just can't argue even some of the finest in PS4 version. Isn't as interesting or as fun to look at then some of those in PS1 version. I felt these pictures alone just barely gave this round to the PS1 version. To be fair, I do respect the effort put into the PS4 version. I am very impressed with every piece of it.

Winner: MediEvil (PS1)


Round 3: Controls


I will say in both versions, yes the controls are great enough to get the job done. But I felt slightly the controls with the improved mechanics are better in PS4 version. Just trying to kill something in the air with some weapons can be frustrating in PS1 version. But not as much in the PS4 version. I actually felt the running works perfectly in PS4 version too.

Although to me in PS1 version Sir Daniel seems to be running faster. This is not the charge move in case you were wondering. Otherwise even with the changes, the controls are great. There really isn't much separating them other than the annoying aim system on PS1 version. It felt perfectly done on PS4 while the classic version needed just a little work on it.

I am not kidding, it was close of being perfect in the original version. Selecting your weapons, shields or items is very similar. I felt the platforming is more forgiving in PS4 version respectively. PS1 version doesn't allow you to fully skip the dialogues. I could easily do that in PS4 version to save time.

Winner: MediEvil (PS4)


Round 4: Boss changes


There's a reason I had to make this a round. A few boss fights in PS4 version got altered to a degree. But still stays truthfully to the original game. I will go directly to The Ant Queen. There's a few notable changes like in PS4 version, the red spot on her is much easier to see. You also have an easier time striking him due to some of the changes.

Another notable difference was the ghost ship captain. Not directly about his appearances. In the original PS1 version, you had to use a club then set it on fire to quickly get cannons to fire. But the hit radius of his crew is more unforgiving. In vice versa, they added two buttons that will fire the cannons among stepping or jumping on them.

This alone makes a difficult boss fight much easier. The final two bosses have notable changes as well. Lord Kardok originally fights you alone that's much easier to take down. But in PS4 version, he does a better job with defense while having enemies fighting against you. To me, this felt more like a real boss fight.

I know a change that actually made a boss tougher than easier. Zarok himself is more on top of whatever you're doing. He does become easier late in the boss fight. Originally, he doesn't hold up his defense long enough making some of your strongest weapons op in comparison. A minor change I personally noticed was with the Pumpkin King.



No not him lol.



If you use some of your strongest weapons, you can quickly kill him before he gets time to start regenerating. But you can't avoid the regeneration process a few times in PS4 version. Otherwise, most boss fights are very similar with minor to no real changes. Honestly, I felt more at home with PS4 version here.

Out of respect, when I play a difficult game, I want the final bosses to be difficult. Not push overs, so in that regard PS4 version won my vote here. I had to work very hard on PS4 version to beat it the first time. I didn't work as hard in comparison very late in the run. So honestly, as much I respect how those bosses were done in PS1 version it wasn't as good in comparison.

Winner: MediEvil (PS4)


I felt I don't need to go any further. I truthfully prefer the PS4 version over PS1 version. This was by no means an easy decision. I absolutely love both versions of this game. MediEvil Resurrection should be sent through a black hole for all I care. I don't think the Lost Souls challenges changes much.

Sure it does add a little more story but it isn't really important stuff. Although, doing them all does unlock the classic PS1 version. I can safely say both versions works perfectly for the most part. Honestly, MediEvil is a great game for either PlayStation console I highly recommend. Most changes I greatly welcomed in PS4 version.

This comes very close in every category. This was by no means a blow out that was expected because it really wasn't neither ever was meant to be. MediEvil on PS4 is already one of my favorite remakes. Yes I know I called the game a remastered which there's some truth to that. I do like how it remained true while making some changes that ultimately made the game more fun to play.

The Hall of Heroes receive a few changes in PS4 version. Like there is a merchant gargoyle on the right to the entrance now. You also will see a number of them you collected in a few ways. Look above the big chalice to see the current amount you have or all those cups on the table. Otherwise in the PS1 version, you have to look for that number on the map screen.

Winner: MediEvil (PS4)


To clarify, I got a lot of strong nostalgia for the PS1 version. It always meant so much to me especially more so right now. I really want Sony to deliver MediEvil 2 just like this. I strongly felt that game gets over looked more than those who actually played it. MediEvil is a true classic that took an unexpected direction that works incredibly well.

No comments:

Post a Comment