Monday, November 4, 2019

Jack Red reviews Clive Barker's Undying

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, I will be honest I did a cheat run on Clive Barker's Undying. But I still played most of it since I didn't use the no clip code. I can honestly say this was one of the best games from my huge horror games purchase. This is one I felt was going to be amazing. Also you have one of the best writers in the world who wrote the story to today's game.


Clive Barker's Undying centers around a man named Patrick that has to stop a family of siblings. Most of them ends up getting beheaded. The actual story plays out well enough to keep you going. Yes you can skip most cut scenes if you want to do that. This is a shooter that has mechanics that predates BioShock series by a few years.

In BioShock series, you get a weapon as well as a few powers to use against enemies. This game attempted that even before the original BioShock existed. Sure, those powers are different spells but you get the idea. There is some great voice acting in this game. Maybe it's just me but parts of how this played out reminds me of another shooter.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein, it isn't even from the same team or company at all. Despite coming out a few months after this game. Let's be honest, both games sorta end similar too. Personally Return to Castle Wolfenstein does have great things over Clive Barker's Undying. I'll name two of the biggest in my opinion.

1. Better bosses
2. More enemy variety

Clive Barker's Undying is a great horror story that might remind me of other horror classics. But considering this came from the same guy who created Hellraiser & Candyman. Now that alone was enough reason for me to buy this game. Using codes is a mixed experience in this game. Thankfully you don't need to alter anything at all.

There is a health code to increase or decrease your overall health. Most enemies when your health up too high won't attack you unless they're close to death. But that's a ratio of 50% as the other 50% is they either running or just stand there I'm not kidding. Some bosses in particular, I had to use level codes that took some time to find.

You must lower your health to 100. Keep in mind, you don't have to waste skulls on yourself. There you go those having trouble getting pass Aaron or Bethany boss fights. All you need to do is lower your health to 100 for them to start fighting back. Thus you can now kill them with an scythe. I should mention, most bosses to finish them you need to cut off their heads.

I made sure to not use additional codes until the boss fight officially starts. Yeah, the bosses are alright at best to be honest. The final boss can take a lot of punishment but more likely kill you. Thankfully trying to find your way around in this game is well done. This game does have some gore from killing enemies.

It isn't my favorite neither my least favorite for that matter. Clive Barker's Undying is a great underrated FPS game. There is a well written story but some particular locations are strict. Some of which can actually kill you. I do like the weather changes through out the game. I also like your character's reflection off of mirrors.

There is some time manipulation as you go through in the game. It quickly reminds me of a game I recently reviewed not long ago. Call of Cthulhu: Prisoner of Ice, although this should remind people of Call of Cthulhu: Shadow of the Comet more. You do get to explore several locations with a good number of them being only once.

I do like this is a journey well more of a mystery about a family that became demons that wanted to rule the world. In a weird way, it also reminds me of Blood II: The Chosen. Obviously two very different stories. But I was actually going to talk about the final boss of Blood II in particular. To me, their final bosses do sorta come off being similar.

There's just enough weapons to keep you going. But I felt they should've change some of them out. Just a handful of them with weapons that could've helped you more would've made this even better. You got to take some risks at times. Clive Barker's Undying is hands down, one of the biggest surprises in my GOG collection.

I should mention, level codes can be a bit confusing to follow since there's so many similar to each other. You got to pay attention to what's different. This game has some great graphics for a shooter of it's time. There is some great textures in a lot of areas that do stand out to me. Clearly, Clive Barker was a huge help with such a great game.

No comments:

Post a Comment