Thursday, November 7, 2019

Jack Red reviews Call of Cthulhu: Shadow of the Comet

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, I knew as soon as I looked into this game, I wanted it in my collection. Call of Cthulhu: Shadow of the Comet was the first game in Call of Cthulhu series. Like Alone in the Dark series also has been developed by several teams with mixed receptions. I will say this is a solid effort.



Call of Cthulhu: Shadow of the Comet originally got release without Call of Cthulhu on the title. But ever since it got added, Quickly helped with games within the franchise. Some releases like GOG has a museum portion of the game. You play as another character from that of the main game. You get to explore a museum referencing stories by H. P. Lovecraft.

It ends up being a small museum but packed with interesting information with some great artwork. The main game itself is considered to be one of the finest classic horror PC games. You play as John Parker whose comes to a town to investigate what happened back in 1834. I can safely say there's more interesting story than Prisoner of Ice.

Once again, the artwork is absolutely amazing. The audio is surprisingly great that holds up better than you would expect. The actual graphics are great for it's time. I do recommend using a guide while playing since later on getting game overs will become common. Shadow of the Comet is loosely inspired by two of Lovecraft's books.

I did find an interesting fact not a lot of people knows. By now, the original developers of this & Alone in the Dark series do use inspiration from his works. But did you know the original Alone in the Dark was originally going to be a Call of Cthulhu game? Funny enough, along with Capcom's Sweet Home on Famicom became major inspirations for Resident Evil series.

This game has parts of the controls that can take awhile to get use to. But thankfully you can walk around without having to be restricted to only clicks like in most of those style games. You are solving a mystery that suddenly becomes something bigger. Just like it's sequel Prisoner of Ice but it comes off more of a surprise here.

You are mostly exploring this town in comparison to a few locations in Prisoner of Ice. But the way Shadow of the Comet plays out is just more interesting. You also got to interest point & click style games were common around the 90s. Sure they didn't sell much but a lot of them later got a cult following reputation.

I felt this game is more strict on trial and error. At least, Prisoner of Ice gave you more control over the worst spots. I would say some characters in their appearance were inspired by real celebrities. To clarify, none of the actors they look like wasn't involve in the making of this game. Honestly, a few key changes would've made this more of a hit.

I wanted to like Shadow of the Comet more than I actually do. I came to enjoy Prisoner of Ice a bit more in the areas this falls short in. Truthfully, I could recommend it to a couple of people. But at the same time, this was more meant for those who are fans of those stories in general. I will say they put in a great effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment