Sunday, November 24, 2019

Jack Red reviews The Shining series (two movies & a mini series)

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, as many of you know I'm a huge fan of Stephen King's work. Of course, it's finally time to review The Shining movie series as well as The Shining mini series. A few years ago, I did a comparison blog on The Shining. Yes I will be linking it to help speed things up. Honestly, The Shining is easily one of the most well known among his works.

https://jackred1989.blogspot.com/2017/04/old-vs-new-horror-movie-remakes-stephen.html

1. The Shining (1980)


Stanley Kubrick was widely known for adapting stories from books to movies in a way that upset the respective authors. The Shining was no exception to that. He deeply ignored some of the most critical story stuff that ultimately made the movie it's own story. All actors present in this movie gives a great performance.

The Shining is one of the most remembered King movie adaptations to date. Sadly, it does take awhile before it starts getting entertaining. It is one of those movie slowly begin kind of movies. I felt in terms of scaring people, Kubrick nailed it. This might actually be the best unfaithful King adaptation there is.

This movie actually angered King enough to making him his own mini series based on the same book. Honestly, I do like this movie for what it is. Yet it's difficult to ignore it's major problems not including pissing off the man himself. The Shining got a great Simpsons parody that I ended up liking more.

By leading out a lot of those critical stuff, it virtually made Jack crazy before even got there. Rather than it would happen over time like it did in the book & mini series. I felt, this movie did give Jack an fire axe instead of a mallet. I can't exactly argue that change but some of his personal changes sorta hurts the movie in the long run.

2. The Shining (1997)


Keep in mind, King had to not say anything bad about Kubrick's movie or they would cancel this mini series. I really can't blame him for wanting to deliver a more faithful adaptation to his own book. This mini series does have some problems. Like cheesy special effects & a long length overall. But damn it does work for those who are fans of his work to a degree.

This kept stuff Kubrick cut completely out of his version. Most actors are mostly good at doing their characters. Just the kid playing Danny was alright, I prefer the kid from the movie more. This gives you more idea what was in the book. This mini series has a mostly not great reputation. Yes even with King directly involved.

I honestly don't think it is a bad adaptation of that book. If anything, King finally delivered what he originally wanted but ultimately didn't get from Kubrick's movie. This mini series in sorta in the middle from those I seen. This was actually filmed at the real hotel that inspired this story. I also liked we learn more about the ghosts inside the hotel.

The best way to look at this is you will get things the Kubrick movie left out. But it just might not have be as entertaining to watch in the long run. To clarify, I'm really not saying it sucks because it doesn't. I could name a couple of bad King movie adaptations that left a worse taste in my mouth. This mini series does deliver in it's vision.

3. Doctor Sleep (2019)


I actually seen this on my birthday, I had a busy day truthfully. I just turned thirty years ago, a mile stone in my life. Honestly, I have listened to all of audio book version of Doctor Sleep. The director had to sell King on his concept that ultimately made the author proud. Yes this movie finally fixed a major problem King had with Kubrick's movie.

Now I won't spoil much of the differences that I do know about. I will say this is a sequel in different ways. One is more what you would expect like the movie while the book ends up continuing in a different way. In other words, you are essentially getting two stories with some similarities. It likely will come down to which ultimately satisfy you more.

So I would recommend reading the book or listen to the audio book before watching the movie. Now if you want to that process with The Shining sure go for it. Doctor Sleep does stand enough on it's own. Do not expect this to be exactly like The Shining because it's not. I would describe this as a movie very well put together.

Regardless, I absolutely love this movie with an passion. It sucks because so many people are viewing it the wrong way or other movies being out hurts it's overall box office performance. The special effects are very well done in my opinion. I do respect how they chose to tie this in to The Shining.

Honestly, Doctor Sleep quickly won more over. I was surprised my wife who watched this with me likes the movie too. Truthfully, this felt like an adaptation more worthy of it's legacy than I hate to say the Kubrick movie. I don't have any major criticism of this movie at all. Sure I could throw in a Star Wars joke since Ewan McGregor who played a younger Obi-Wan Kenobi was Dan Torrance.

Oh hell I'll do it anyway for a friend. The Shining is strong with this one lol. Doctor Sleep is an excellent movie I already want to watch again. So what it is a little over two and an half hours long. I felt more satisfied watching it than some of his movie adaptations. Truthfully, this movie does deserve more respect than it currently gets.

No comments:

Post a Comment