Monday, November 25, 2019

Jack Red reviews MediEvil (PS1)

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, thanks to MediEvil on PS4. I finally got to finish what I started with the original PS1 version. Honestly, this brought back a lot of memories just looking at it. I always wanted to review this game for a long time now. Yes I do plan on doing a follow up comparison blog. For now, here is my thoughts on this amazing PS1 classic.



MediEvil is an action adventure game where you solve puzzles, kill enemies & find your way out of levels. On the way, you can get chalices in most levels to getting rewards from the heroes. Some of these are a must have in order to get far in this game. I very recently beaten this game for the first time 100% completion.

I felt some levels I had to work harder than in PS4 version like a few areas in The Lake. Mostly due to a particular tough enemies. It was also due to this hit & miss aim system the game has. In fact, there's a boss fight with two flying demons you have to use throwing or long distance weapons. This is way easier in PS4 version.

To me, this game is aging very well. So what a lot of people talk crap about PS1 graphics. This game was always beautiful to me. I absolutely love this sound track with some of the sound effects. It is easy to memorize what to do in most levels. The Time Device will come off as a surprise to throw you off.

Trust me, once you figure out what to do. This level becomes much easy than it appears to be. The final two bosses are well easier than in PS4 version. I do like the voice acting for the most part. You get a great variety of weapons. Some enemies can very quickly rip through your health. By the time, you get the master sword.

You should be great at this game. I felt the complete map screen is a true piece of art. It is so beautifully drawn in every detail. Yes I know, it is surrounded by mostly black sure. But what's on the map is so well done I simply didn't care. The controls do take a little time getting use to. I felt due to how easy it is to run can lead to a lot of cheap deaths.

Some particular spots are strict on how to land of them. No it isn't you fall through crap either. You do need to be ready to take jumps that could go horribly wrong. I loved how the cut scenes themselves look. For it's time, seeing cut scenes like this blew a lot of people away. There wasn't a lot of games that stand out early in PS1's run like this.

MediEvil is a true classic for both PlayStation 1 as well as a Halloween game. You must play on Halloween, I highly recommend it. I felt adding this to PS4 version as an unlockable was genius. I was very happy about this in a way I could never fully explain. MediEvil is much higher on games I played on PS1.

No comments:

Post a Comment