Sunday, November 24, 2019

Jack Red reviews MediEvil (PS4)

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, I grew up with both MediEvil 1 & 2 on PlayStation 1. Honestly, I was excited when I found out about the PS4 version. Technically speaking, this is the third version of the same game. But this is following a new thread of remastered PS1 classics. Unlike Spyro & Crash, we just get one great game.

MediEvil does deliver some nice changes that do make a notable difference. Like putting the merchant gargoyle at the Hall of Heroes. Most of it is very faithful to the original PS1 game. We only get one lightning instead of two variations of it like in the original game. They did change up the final two boss fights.

I actually liked the controls more in this version. I am not saying I didn't like the PS1 controls. You will notice a few changes like some animations in a few things has been changed like swinging your sword. The artwork is absolutely amazing, it is so beautiful. Yes I do like the map screen but I still prefer it more in the original game.

This does have a great soundtrack with good sound effects. Maybe this is just me but it seems a few sounds I was exciting to hear could be absent in this version. Like when you die, Sir Daniel makes a loud sound before getting revived or game over. There is little to nothing new added unfortunately. Near the end of the game, you open a particular chest letting lost souls out.

In most levels, there will be one lost soul with a different task. Among completing these tasks, these souls will be put to rest. The best part is after finishing the last lost soul. Now present on your main menu screen is an option called Old Game. Guess what, this is actually the original PS1 game. If you pay attention to some of the copy right information.

This is actually not the US version of the game since it doesn't have codes. Yes the big cheat codes do work here. The trophies were a lot of fun to go for. I got to confession, I very recently as of today gotten my first ever platinum trophy. If that doesn't tell you how much I love this game what the hell will lol.

I also liked when the game in some levels throws something new into the mix to fresh things up. Most of this works incredibly well. I bought MediEvil Digital Deluxe Edition late on my birthday, a few days ago. This also comes with nice stuff I want to talk about. Like the golden armor late in MediEvil 2 is present.

Speaking of MediEvil 2, there's a digital comic prequel that does reference MediEvil 2 to some degree. You also get the complete soundtrack that involves a few interview videos. I loved the artwork, but more so after looking at the digital art book. There is a few songs that plays while you are taking your time to look.

You also get this awesome background with animations & audio from the game on your PS4's background. Yes you can look at the game after you login in. It is easy to memorize the levels but you still can lose with the best arsenal. Some enemies do an alerting amount of damage in a short period of time.

I absolutely loved all the boss fights for the most part. To clarify something, according to the digital art book. The final level actually has three final bosses not two of them. This is one of the most challenging levels I have ever done. You must sacrifice most of your lives to constantly keep your army's health long enough for them to win.

Thankfully, you will get some energy vitals. From this point on, two difficult final bosses right after each other. You do not get to change your difficulty at all. There will be times, the difficulty will spike. There's a great variety of enemies that makes this feel perfect to play on Halloween. Not long ago, I did comparison on the original version of this & Zombies Ate My Neighbors.

I will say I strongly stand by my final decision in that blog. MediEvil is one of my favorite PlayStation exclusive games I ever played. This game really speaks to me, in a way not many of them could. It feels like I was always meant to play this game. Honestly, there isn't much I could criticize. The closest thing would be a very few mechanics like stuff you need to press triangle on.

I don't know why, a lot of times it doesn't seem to work properly. Especially when there's plenty of room around a book. Other than that, this is a home run guys. I highly recommend you collect all the chalices as well as their rewards. Trust me, late in your run the game will get more fun to play. I should mention, you can use the chalice directly in the final level instead of using good lightning.

Some items you have to carefully plan to get since some levels have additional stuff you might not be able to get the first time. Stuff like the shadow artifact or a witch's talisman. I felt most levels are very well designed. I have a love/hate relationship with The Asylum level. No not Inside the Asylum level. The level right before that for many reasons.

You have to solve a few riddles for Jack of the Green. But his riddles are very simple yet plays them off like Sheldon Cooper trying to taunt to quickly chicken out of something. I could say The Riddler would be deeply disappointed in his riddles lol. There are some puzzles that are all different in their own right.

There is so much to explore especially when you get exactly what you need. They also added a few breakable walls like the trophy wall in Dan's Crypt. Most item placements & where to use them are the same as the original game. Mostly in the very early levels, some of those were changed. The inventory is done differently too.

Originally you have all your weapons on the top with everything else below it. But here it goes from weapon types to armors to key items to lost souls. Basically your arm on the left to whatever you got last on the right. I also liked you can move directly to another category of your inventory. Now this makes going through your equipment much easier.

Regular lightning is no longer just a ball of it in your hands. They must've loved Avengers: Infinity Wars & End Game since Sir Daniel wears a glove similar to Thanos' Infinity Gauntlet. Seriously, just look at it or the animation he does while shocking enemies lol. Obviously, there's different pictures to represent each level on their loading screen.

I do like some of them more from the original game while a few of them I can't really decide which I like more. MediEvil also added some humor in the loading screens. Way better than how MediEvil Resurrection does it. Yes, I watched most of the cut scenes of that game recently. Truthfully, it really got me upset they did this to MediEvil!!!

Honestly, this is a solid remastered of a PS1 classic. So what this isn't three games in one compilation. This game can still stand the test of time. There are some interesting mechanics. MediEvil giving you so much for MediEvil Digital Deluxe Edition priceless. Even if PS1 version wasn't included, I still would deeply love this game.

No comments:

Post a Comment