Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Jack Red reviews Waxworks

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, today's review isn't to be confused with Waxwork movie series. Although their concepts are somewhat similar. Waxworks was one of the last games Horror Soft made before going out of business. But man I knew as soon as I looked this game up, I wanted it in my collection. Easily one of the most mess up horror games I ever played.



The best way to describe Waxworks is it plays like several short games in one. You play as members of the same family over a notable time gaps that all died because of a witch's curse. Your goal is to undue these then kill the witch to ending the curse. I know it's a bit confusing but that's the best way to explain it.

Each wax exhibit acts as it's own world. There is a few RPG elements like leveling up your characters. You can actually level up by walking I'm not kidding. Your experience does not carry over though. You get to explore some interesting locations that has a different tie for those in your family. You could even say each one is vastly different from each other.

1. Ancient Egypt
2. Victorian era London
3. A mine overrun by plants
4. A zombie invested graveyard

This game is critical with deaths. Although, there's beautiful animations in this game. There's a strong trial & error vibe. But at the same time, it just pisses you off enough to keep pushing forward rather than giving up. Waxworks does let you choose the order you do these worlds. After the last one is complete, it's time to finish the game.

You have to relearn this game several times since the rules do differ between these worlds. Like in Victorian era London, you have to avoid the police or an angry mob constantly. You can not fight them at all since getting too close will give you an instant game over. You have to find your weapons as you explore.

There isn't much magic usage in this game either. Yes there are bosses in this game like an necromancer, Jack the Ripper and a giant mutant plant. This is another game I wish I could use a guide while I'm playing kind of games. Especially here since it is so easy to getting an game over. A lot of them are difficult to avoid too.

The graphics alone are amazing for it's time. The audio is absolutely great stuff. Waxworks is the best from those I played from Horror Soft by far. This game does give us a great horror vibe too. Obviously the museum itself is the main hub world. I do like you could leave them early on if you choose to.

I am not going to lie, there's a lot to remember when you're playing this. So it is incredibly easy to forget some of that especially you haven't play it in awhile. I will say this is a solid difficult game. Even if I can't complete one of these worlds. Thank god, you can play another one. I felt this was a beautifully designed game.

Easily one of the biggest surprises in my huge horror games purchase. Waxworks is an underrated classic horror RPG style game. It also has great controls with some mechanics taking awhile to learn. There is a great variety of enemies in this too. Not one is shared among all of these worlds. I also liked on GOG version there's cloud saving.

I do recommend this game to those who want a challenge or want more horror games in general. I personally couldn't recommend Personal Nightmare for many great reasons. This game can be a little over whelming especially in the surprising level of violence it has. Everything in this game just works in comparison.

No comments:

Post a Comment