Friday, November 15, 2019

My thoughts on Xbox One Doom ports

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, more recently I been funny to even discuss anything relating to the game company Bethesda. I kinda felt like a prisoner because I'm going to likely buy Doom and Wolfenstein games. Fallout series I do like to a degree but hell no on Fallout 76 mess. I remember hearing the out rage on the first two Doom ports that came out a few months ago.

I will be discussing them along with Doom 3 to completing the line up of Doom ports. Yes I know Doom 64 is getting ported soon. I do plan on buying them & eventually Doom Eternal soon. For right now I want to talk about how I feel about these ports. I felt I been mostly quiet about Bethesda until now.



Just like Xbox 360 & PS3 ports, they simply called the original Doom well Doom. It is suppose to be called The Ultimate Doom since it does fixes some problems as well as adding a fourth episode. I know this seems like a minor thing. The next complaint from my point of view is not. Doom II is mostly solid yet I just can not ignore this particular problem.

I can understand why no Final Doom there's a slight chance it might make it to Xbox One, PS4 & Switch. But why is there No Rest for the Living episode? Oh ok I am happy to see the master levels are present in full. But why couldn't we have both of those in this Doom II port? Honestly, I was deeply disappointed such a nice addition to the game isn't present.

Not only that, the same company that made the episode are also involved with this version. Now if Bethesda would've say Final Doom will include No Rest for the Living episode. Maybe upcoming update adding it to Doom II would be very nice guys. Also both Doom 1 & 2 does not have online multiplayer?

I am happy to see local multiplayer stayed but come on Xbox 360 ports had that. I do think the achievements are a bit more satisfying this time around. Also why no level select for both Doom 1 &2? Some versions of Duke 3D like Xbox 360 port allowed you to pick most levels. Just not hidden levels even if you beat em for some odd reason.

Doom 3 is mostly the same as Doom 3 BFG Edition. But there is a weird thing I noticed when I looked at the achievements. Originally on Xbox 360, PS3 & PC versions, Doom 3 by itself had fifty achievements. It got lowered down to just forty four. It is mostly fun achievements but I just wonder why?

Other than that I do wish all three Doom 3 games had level select feature. Honestly, that would've made the unskippable cut scenes easier to deal with. So I felt the controls in all three ports is right on for the most part. Doom 1 & 3 doesn't add anything from their previous versions. Doom II to me was a bit of a letdown.

I will publicly state Doom II on Xbox 360 is a much more satisfying port in comparison. The master levels are virtually extra levels made by those under contract by id Software. Sure they did add story to those levels but they mostly exist as stand alone levels than anything else. No Rest for the Living episode came more off like a proper second episode.

Yes I know both halves of Final Doom also had more story in their own right being roughly the same length as the original game. But they were clearly more of stories you would expect for a sequel rather than a direct continually following Doom II. Also Final Doom is widely known for being very difficult.

This by itself would quickly turn off a lot of gamers. Final Doom doesn't really add much to Doom II either. Even maps included in No Rest for the Living episode are some of the absolute official Doom maps ever made. Honestly, Bethesda you need to do something about this. I am sure I'm not the only one feeling like this.

1 comment: