Friday, January 5, 2018

Nintendo 64 vs. PlayStation Face Off #3 Fighting Force 64 vs. Fighting Force

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, today I want to do Fighting Force 64  on Nintendo 64 vs. Fighting Force on PlayStation. This is another case of original game versus it's port. What's more interesting about Fighting Force is what we almost got. Sega & Core Design were in the talks for a new beat em up game.


It would've been Streets of Rage 4 sadly Core Design wanted the game to be on more consoles. This led to Sega leaving the project to eventually become Fighting Force. Why is this so important because ever since this happened one more attempt at SOR4 failed for Sega Dreamcast. Although it was very stupid what led to it's cancellation.

This is what we got instead deal with it folks. I grew up with the original PlayStation. I did own Fighting Force 2 on the console at one point. This past Christmas I got a new Nintendo 64 with twenty games. I got ten of them from my brother for free. Fighting Force 64 was one of those games. There are a few clear differences between the two versions.

The PlayStation version does have load times. Regularly I wouldn't bring this up for N64 vs. PS. However in this rare case I have to. When playing a fighting game or beat em up you sorta want to go straight into the next level. In that regard Fighting Force 64 gets my vote. Another key difference in N64 version is changing the number of lives.

Very strange you couldn't do that in the original version. Audio wise the PlayStation version is better. I would say Nintendo 64 did the controls slightly better. I know some people that played both versions may disagree with me. At the same time to me Fighting Force 64's controls just made a little more sense.

Obviously you can cheat with majority of them are present in both versions. Despite being a port, Fighting Force 64 doesn't look that bad in comparison. Actually among a closer look I did notice some things do look better in N64 version while some looks better in PlayStation version. A slight edge in controls, changing lives and no load times. I must give the win to Fighting Force 64.

Winner: Fighting Force 64 on Nintendo 64

No comments:

Post a Comment