Friday, January 19, 2018

Nintendo 64 vs. PlayStation Face Off #16 Banjo-Kazooie vs. Crash Bandicoot

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, it's time to take on a very difficult platformer face off. At the time Crash Bandicoot series & Banjo series blew many people away. I briefly was around a copy of Banjo-Kazooie as a kid. More recently I got it with Rare Replay a few years ago. I also was briefly around Crash Bandicoot at someone's house.


Banjo-Kazooie is considered by many to be better than Super Mario 64. One of Rare's greatest games ever made. This game had a lot of depth within it's now legendary game play. Banjo-Kazooie will test you as a gamer in many ways. Easily one of the greatest N64 soundtracks you will ever hear. I really can't say enough good things about it.


Crash Bandicoot was made by Naughty Dog whose responsible for many great series. It was a rare opportunity for movie companies to get involve with game series. Some of those also includes Spyro since Universal was backing both franchises at the time. Crash Bandicoot added a lot of new stuff not known in platformers at the time.

Similar to some discs of Namco Museum on PlayStation. I didn't get to play Crash Bandicoot but I did play the rest of them on the same console. I am judging it based on what I do know of it. I am also aware both do have newer ports on Xbox One & PS4 respectively. I hope I can make the Crash fans happy.

I think it is obvious why I'm putting these two platformers against each other. Both has humanoid animals saving the world. Both games had a surprise level of depth within their game play. Two difficult games to fully 100% complete that's still fun watching people attempting. I already knew I have so much to cover for just this one.

Banjo-Kazooie does technically have two playable characters. Banjo is moving a lot more often as well as jumping. Kazooie can fire eggs, fly, do high jumps and briefly become invincible. You also gain moves over time by collecting stuff. By collecting jiggies you can unlock levels. Each level is huge like their own worlds.

You have to leave the same world you came in. A couple of bosses with some you could do again if you choose to. As stated before Banjo-Kazooie has a great soundtrack that still holds up today. Crash Bandicoot is rather unusual in it's own way. Some sections has you running towards the screen. Which still isn't common among many platformers.

Unlike Banjo-Kazooie, Crash can die in one hit unless he has Aku Aku. By getting him three times without getting health makes Crash briefly invincible. You can increase your overall health in Banjo--Kazooie by collecting honey comb pieces. I am not going to lie to fully 100% both games. There is a lot of back tracking involve.

Some of it can be tedious while later on you can get some stuff much easier. A good variety of levels within both games. Yes there's more levels in Crash Bandicoot since they're much shorter in length. I felt not to piss off Rare fans that the bosses are better in Crash Bandicoot. They all play very differently from each other.

Voice acting is kinda no contest. I could respect actual people trying to sound like animals in Banjo-Kazooie. But this also implies to those not being animals like the witches. After a while hearing them talk can hurt your ears. The cast for Crash Bandicoot is very good in every sense of the world. It is true Crash barely says any words except some deaths in game.

Also they were more creative about dying in Crash Bandicoot. When we get to check points this is an easy win for Banjo-Kazooie. From Crash Bandicoot 2 to up doesn't share this flaw. You have to beat the level but if you run out of lives. You restart the level losing all of your process. Although parts of this is true for Banjo-Kazooie.

I still maintain a lot of stuff I gotten during those levels. Therefore I don't have to start from scratch after losing all my lives. Crash Bandicoot also has an amazing soundtrack but I still prefer Banjo-Kazooie's. For me the levels are simply done better, more for the playable characters to do and more interesting secrets

For example you can unlock a secret mini game hidden in Banjo's house. You also can unlock short cuts to get to several areas a lot faster. You could cheat but doing so will prevent you from saving. Actually doing it on the newer version completely removes you forever from the leader boards. Crash Bandicoot is a solid experience for what it is.

Winner: Banjo-Kazooie on Nintendo 64

2 comments: