Friday, January 19, 2018

Devil May Cry series review

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, today I get to talk about Capcom's Devil May Cry series. Recently I stated my best reasons why I prefer it over God of War series. Now I think it's time to give each game their own review. I will cover the new Devil May Cry game coming out this year at a later time. I also will be reviewing the anime since it is canon to the original game time line.

1. Devil May Cry (2001)

Originally was going to be an Resident Evil game. Instead of canceling it, they chose to go into a different direction. Which led to this becoming the original Devil May Cry. This has the fewest difficulties of the entire series. Unlike later entries, you have to stick with one save & difficulty. Some of my favorite bosses are in this game.

You only play as Dante although you could be Sparda with some differences. Some of my favorite cut scenes are present in this Capcom classic. Devil May Cry is a solid hack & slash that will keep you busy for hours. Sadly in DMC HD Collection, they didn't fully increase the screen ratio for cut scenes.

Devil May Cry does have many things over it's competitors. Easily one of the best soundtracks in the franchise. This game blew so many people away at the time of it's original release. You can still tell what was going to be Resident Evil just by the first cut scene with Trish. Technically this was the original RE4 we gotten before the actual one.

2. Devil May Cry 2 (2003)

Unfortunately I have a lot more negative things to say about Devil May Cry 2. Capcom decided to get another team not familiar with the original to work on this game. OMG I still can't believe how bad it actually is. I understand just Twisted Metal III, a lot of people like this game. Although I really don't understand why.

For starters you get two discs for both main playable characters. Capcom has done this before with Resident Evil 2. A much better sequel a few years earlier. The huge difference is it made perfect sense why Resident Evil 2 was a two disc game. Both discs shared most of the same content just having two scenarios of those characters.

This was PlayStation's way of going beyond it's limits. Which Squaresoft now Square Enix did with Final Fantasy VII, VIII and IX on the same console having more discs. In Devil May Cry 2's case, it should've been all on one disc. If you look at both DMC3 & 4's Special Edition. All of it is on one disc so why not DMC2?

Let's go a step further due to this issue in DMC HD Collection. You already had to restart your console to be able to select another game. But DMC2's two discs makes that more annoying. Although I still really like that compilation a lot. Everything is so bad that I don't think it could've gone even lower I'm not kidding.

Bloody Palace mode as stated in another blog to have 9,999 levels with no end. There isn't a single good boss fight in the entire game. This game's boss rush is actually one of the worst I have ever seen. It is even worse on Must Die difficulty since they're all trying to attack you at once. On easier difficulties depending where you stand.

You could be fighting one or two of them at the same time. This difficulty says screw that let's mess up the player. They reversed some of the basic controls that also can be frustrating. Firing your weapons does way too much damage yet fighting up close doing so little. Am I missing something here or what?

Devil May Cry 2 has two campaigns with Lucia's being a lot shorter. She is in my opinion the worst playable character in any DMC game. She makes even easy levels a lot tougher than they need to be. In fact if it weren't for Trish being one of those costume characters. I don't think I could beaten the game at all.

This has the worst Dante in anything DMC I have ever seen. Everything about one of my favorite characters flat out sucks in this game. This also has one of the worst video game stories I have ever seen. The graphics looks just as bad as bad PS1 games. Not even the music is going to help with this experience.

3. Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening (2005 & 2006 as Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition)
For me I always enjoy the hell out of Devil May Cry 3. Originally you only had Dante to play as. Thankfully with DMC3 Special Edition you can also play as his brother Vergil. Such an unique experience to play the campaign on many difficulties and Bloody Palace as both characters. As Vergil you don't have any cut scenes in game making his runs a lot faster.

A lot of great costumes with some greatly affecting the game play. Some of my favorite boss fights are present in this game. Easily the best soundtrack of the series in my opinion. Everything about this game did a lot more than made up for DMC2. This game is considered by many as one of the most difficult games ever made.

Devil May Cry 3 has some of my favorite moments in the franchise. A lot of great stuff that does make it to later games. This is the best prequel game along with Metal Gear Solid 3 and Resident Evil 0 I ever played. Everything imaginable is really spot on. I am still impressed how damn good this game is.

4. Devil May Cry anime (2007)

Devil May Cry anime was under contract to have only twelve episodes. Obviously Street Fighter has most of the anime's attention. When I heard about this anime, I was excited. This is a solid entry into a great franchise. This is one of my favorite twelve episode animes I ever watched. This took so many things I like about the games.

I am still impressed how good everything was done. For a licence video game anime my expectations were quickly blown. Devil May Cry anime also does a good job fitting in the game time line. Just like those CGI Resident Evil movies. Don't worry I will be reviewing those movies very soon I promise. This is one of the highest points for this franchise.

5. Devil May Cry 4 (2008 & 2015 as Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition)

The original Devil May Cry 4 version to me felt like it needed more. I'm not saying I wasn't impressed or being bad or anything like that. It just felt like it could've had more to entertain me. I do like Nero whose actually Dante's nephew yes it is confirmed folks. Dante is only playable in a couple of levels in their campaign.

Both of them get a lot of costumes & attempt Bloody Palace that got greatly reduced in levels amount. Some of my favorite puzzles are present in this game. Personally I really prefer Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition. You get three new characters to play with. Trish plays very differently from her DMC2 appearance.

Lady & Trish's campaign mirrors Dante & Nero's with a few changes near the end. Vergil gets the entire campaign to himself. You get a lot of weapons & moves this time around to play. This version felt like how I really wanted to feel towards the original DMC4. For me this felt like the perfect version.

It does suck I have to buy for two costumes for Lady & Trish. But playing as each character feels like a different experience. Similar to fighting games in that particular way. Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition also has all process between five characters on one save. Yes you can not only switch difficulties, you also can switch characters too.

Originally in Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition, you had to do two saves for Dante & Vergil respectively. I hope a newer version does fix that problem. Even if it doesn't I still love that game with an passion. I feel the same way about this version of DMC4. This was a great updated version that stands as one of my personal favorite among video games.

6. DmC: Devil May Cry (2012 & 2015 as DmC: Devil May Cry Definitive Edition)

A lot of mixed reactions to this reboot. A different team with help from Capcom. I know just by that people would lose it because of DMC2. Trust me when I say before playing it, I did feel that way. After playing it for a while, I quickly realized it was a solid DMC game in it's own right. Yes some things here & there I could criticize. End of the day this is in it's own universe.

DmC got an updated version for PS4 and Xbox One called DmC: Devil May Cry Defininite Edition. This not only improves a lot of things from technical. They also give you all the discs right off the bat. A few added extras does help spice up the experience. This is the best version of DmC for sure. I would say this is a lot better than what most are willing to confess.

I still prefer 1, 3 and 4 over this. Even the anime has things I like more than this. I will say it is a lot better than DMC2. I know a lot of people would say this is the worst. The truth is this at least tried to be more like the other games despite being in a new time line. I did felt a lot of things done differently will remind you of those games.

Yes most boss fights are done very differently from DMC series. However I did enjoy a lot of them even those with parts not exactly clear at first. Upgrading Dante is a lot of fun but I still prefer the dlc campaign with Vergil. To me this felt more like what I wanted from this game. Maybe that's just my reaction who really knows.

Yes you can play as Vergil taking place right after beating the game with Dante. You get to fight a hollow Vergil. It looks like Capcom just ripped off Bleach lol. This game felt like Samurai Jack in terms of being an American anime that so happens to be a game. Personally I would rather watch Samurai Jack than playing this.

This game has a lot of potential that may never get another entry. I will say for the record yes I'm not too much into this Dante. He is still way better than DMC2's. I am surprised by some of the cut scenes. I mean a sex scene is in the game wow. When this game become God of War lol jk. Honestly this is a great reboot for what it is. I still prefer playing the other DMC games more not bad.

Now it's time to rank them from worst to best
6. Devil May Cry 2
5. DmC
4. Devil May Cry anime
3. Devil May Cry
2. Devil May Cry 4
1. Devil May Cry 3

No comments:

Post a Comment