Saturday, November 24, 2018

Jack Red reviews Quake III Arena

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, I honestly got so many games that it will take me awhile before I can continue Quake. In the meantime I recently picked up with many games Quake III Arena. I remember wanting this game knowing very little about it. In Quake's time line there's technically three of them that are all very different from each other.

Timeline 1: Quake with all three of it's expasions
Timeline 2: Quake II with both of it's expansions and Quake 4
Timeline 3: Quake III Arena, Quake Live and Quake Champions


Quake III Arena is similar to some of the Unreal games mostly Tournament & Championship series. You go into a tournament of killing everyone with all kind of weapons. This reminds me of Deathmatch Classics that's like Quake 1 turned into a multiplayer game. Trust me this is very similar but in some ways better.

You also get an expansion pack called Quake III: Team Arena. Around it's time of release many people criticize it for coming after mods that fixed some stuff already hit the game. Honestly I don't know what exactly was changed but there is more game play choices in this. Regardless which one you are playing, the characters come off interesting.

I am very surprised to see Doomguy in this game. Yes the same space marine that defeated Hell several times is in this game. I think the difficulty is well balanced. Each level will test how fast you can memorize everything as well as killing other people. Sometimes stopping could lead to death just like Counter-Strike series.

The audio department once again nails it. This is easily one of my favorite Quake games I ever played. You don't need to know much before playing. It should be very obvious what to do. Some maps can take time to get use to like the final opponent in the campaign's map. It took me several minutes before I get how to play on it.

Unlike Quake II, it wasn't explained why they went into this direction. Following the release of Quake 4 that long standing pattern broken. This game is very addicting to play from the moment you start playing. In the expansion you get more team related matches. This really doesn't fee like the first two Quake games.

At the same time it does play tribute to parts of them as well as Doom. I wouldn't be surprised if this existed in the same universe as Wolfenstein 3D & classic Doom games. Honestly it really does feel like those. Sure you are simply killing your opponents rather than hunting down enemies while doing objectives.

Sometimes lacking story in a game can be a great thing. I kinda like it because I could come up with I believe likely happened instead of what's already there. You do get to select characters I still haven't got to try everyone. Quake III Arena is a truly amazing multiplayer. It is still being played online today.

No comments:

Post a Comment