Saturday, November 24, 2018

Jack Red reviews Army Men RTS

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, I had a few Army Men games growing up. Deep down I was always curious about that franchise. By now a particular meme with Army Men & Call of Duty everyone knows about. To me that was so on the money that I was laughing. Army Men is widely known for releasing so many games in a few years.

Today I want to talk about what most fans considers to be the greatest Army Men game ever made. Army Men RTS was officially the last 3DO entry before they close down. They had to get another team to work on it but that turned out to be a great decision. This game is virtually everything you could want in an Army Men game.


I got this with a lot of games including four Army Men games on GOG for my birthday. Right away I got use to how this game plays. The campaign itself is very solid with great cut scenes. You get a lot of variety for soldiers and vehicles to keep going. Some missions might be a little tough coming down to pure luck.

I do like you can cheat that does spice up the game. Each mission is mostly straight forward. There is one where you need to protect the villagers while they're escaping. This mission took me awhile to get through. Army Men RTS has some great jokes for it's time. Some campaign mission names are parodies of military movies like A Few Good Men.

The maps are a great size to experiment with several ideas.  Of course you never know when suddenly the enemy hits you with just enough to break through some of your defenses. There is only one boss in the entire game in the final mission. I will talk more about him in a little while. You can get a large green army in no time.

You do need to upgrade your buildings since they do increase not only the speed of making stuff but also the amount of them allowed. A true test is to play Great Battles mode. You need to be great at the game to survive. There is literately no room of error when you play in this mode. I could even say not even the boss fight is tougher than most of those.

In this game you also have to deal with insects. Thankfully with a good enough defense you don't even how to look or move anything to protect your base. Some missions you are stuck with Sarge's unit. You can't make a base at all with a lot of enemies waiting to kill your unit. Army Men RTS is also on consoles.

Funny enough there is a mission where you need to take PS2 console from the tan army. Some of the later missions will take a long time even without dying to complete. The AI goes up a lot forcing you to quickly prepare for the worst. Army Men RTS does have some great locations you can explore. This game has so much going for it.

Now I can talk about the final boss very early in the campaign during one of the first cut scenes. You find out their leader used to be a high ranking green superior before tragedy hit. He left to quickly move up the tan army's ranks. The entire plot is a parody of Apocalypse Now. It sure takes hours to get to this guy.

When you get finally reach him, he has snipers close by. He is inside a device that shoots big fire balls. This also has healing units to keep his health bars up. Yes you heard me correctly before you get to hurt him directly. You must take all of that out first which can be frustrating to do. When you do that with none of his army nearby just watch how fast he goes down.

The ending itself is one of my favorite cut scenes. I can't say I dislike any cut scene in particular. The villagers can be annoying despite only appearing in one mission. I do like you can split up your army to take on the tan army how you want to. I should mention both armies have exactly almost everything.

Sarge's unit is easily among the best characters you have for both attacking & defending. Not only they're tough than most of their army but their accuracy is very good too. I hope you love explosions because you will see a lot of them. Yes I know I'm playing a game based on a classic 50s toy that's still popular to this day.

I can't say anything negative enough to count as a major problem. They did an amazing job turning a strategy franchise into RTS. Which by itself is heavily on making strategies as well as taking risks. This really makes you feel like you're in their world. I got to be honest I am very glad to have this in my collection.

I am not sure when but I do plan on reviewing the other Army Men games. But you should be seeing one more review following this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment