Thursday, August 13, 2020

Jack Red reviews a few spin off Serious Sam games

 Hello everyone I'm Jack Red, I think it's time to review more Serious Sam goodness. As many of you know Serious Sam 4 is nearly here. So why not talk about a couple spin off games of his. Keep in mind, they do have a few things in common despite all having different developers. It's about to get crazy in here or should I say ridiculousness lol.

1. Serious Sam's Bogus Detour (2017)

Developed by Crackshell & Croteam

This is essentially what a retro style of a Serious Sam would look like. It is surprisingly done incredibly well with everything considered. You can upgrade your weapons or abilities to better your chances at survival. Don't forget this is a Serious Sam game, there's a lot of enemies. I didn't play the multiplayer but based on what I came across sounds amazing.

This game also has full mod support. Even to the point completely changing the game itself what really lol. You can roll or jump to help avoid enemies. Using em can up a dash charge so be careful. This is mostly kill the enemies then find the exit kinda like Postal 1 just way crazier lol. The story is told through texts that never over stay their welcome.

I really loved the artwork as well as graphics of this game. Even with a lot of blood from enemies, you aren't missing some of it's beauty. You need to use your head at times to avoid some ambushes or use a stronger weapon to rip right them em instead Serious Sam style baby lol. I loved even if this game wasn't great, I can alter it to how I would like it instead.

The controls are easy to memorize. You got some ideas where to go. Yes you still need frickin' key cards lol. I also how they angle the game itself so you can see mostly around you. Now in a Serious Sam game where enemies could keep coming in large numbers that's a great thing to have. I also loved how they done the explosions too, never leave home with it.

2. I Hate Running Backwards (2018)

Developed by Bink Interactive and Croteam

The title itself plays on a particular thing Serious Sam dislikes. Running backwards the entire game must've been hell for him lol. You also get a few characters including several guest characters like Lo Wang from Shadow Warrior series. For some reason, this game looks strangely like Minecraft. There's a random factor to stuff in this game too.

A huge amount of the environment is destructive yes I love that lol. You have to try harder than usual since it is critical when you fail too much. The artwork is interesting as well as colorful, still more impressed by Bogus Detour. Some aspects of the franchise is present here but you're mostly going in one direction.

I kinda wish to have slightly more freedom at times. Other than that, you do get upgrades that will help out. Yes, you will likely face a lot of enemies forcing you to change your strategies often. Don't go in thinking "I got this." No son you don't got this lol. If the game wasn't a bit strict, I probably would be killing it here lol.

I Hate Running Backwards is an interesting concept. There's some depth to it if you are willing to die a lot in the process. You also can play this coop which I haven't done yet, I imagine that's a lot of fun. Destroying stuff can also help with ammo or health especially when you are low. I loved this move they gave you to quickly break stuff by spinning.

Who doesn't Sam think he is the Tazmanian Devil from Looney Tunes lol. This still feels like the franchise in it's own way. I also liked you can alter set up depending how far you gotten. You also can change your ammo type at the start to help out. Running out the great stuff at the worst times can be a critical mistake especially a lot of enemies onscreen.

3. Serious Sam: Tormental (2019)

Developed by Gungrounds and Croteam

This also looks strangely like Minecraft, I swear I didn't plan on saying that. Serious Sam: Tormental is a rather weird concept even for a Serious Sam game. Basically most of the game takes place inside The Mental's mind. Yes you fight enemies inside a mind of an god is ridiculous. You also get some hidden characters to play as.

It isn't as many playable characters as I Hate Running Backwards. Trust me, even for Serious Sam' standards these characters are out there lol. Netricsa originally was Sam's computer system linked to his brain. During the process of entering The Mental causes it to be it's own separate being. Bomb is well a bomb theme character whose strangely similar to Mario's Bob-ombs.

This is as close Serious Sam gets to being a Bomberman game. You knew by this point that was coming move on. Bulb is essentially a huge light bulb with a face that's representing his forgotten people. WOW oh okay now we know gods think of light bulbs lol. Beings of infinite possibilities thinks about a being of light bulbs is ridiculous.

Now I know I got carried away explaining hidden characters. Every character has a process of getting level up. You can alter parts of this which I liked a lot. Some of the weirdest bosses in any Serious Sam game too. You have to find a merchant for stuff like getting stuff or upgrades. I do like you get to explore which is essentially to have in this franchise.

Keep in mind, this is an Early Access game meaning it's not completely finished yet as well as likely to change. Which also means those who bought it can contact the developers on what can be improve on. Honestly, I do enjoy what I played of the game itself. You have to search as many places as possible. They put a lot of thought into this game.

I still wouldn't say it was my favorite spin off Serious Sam game. It is technically better than I Hate Running Backwards as well as Serious Sam: The Random Encounter. I also felt this was the most forgiving out of the three Serious Sam games I reviewed here. I do see potential of this game getting better over time.

Serious Sam: Tormental also has more stuff relating to The Mental to discover. Who really knows how helpful this hidden information could actually be against a god. This does feel like a true Serious Sam game. The maps are well designed with some room to improve thankfully not by bit. I meant that in the nicest way possible.

What all three Serious Sam games has in common?

All three of them are similar angle style games starring Serious Sam himself. You can upgrade to a degree to increase chances at survival. Another indie team worked with the original team for each spin off game present here. All three of them are currently on Steam as of my blog entry. In their own right are ambitious attempts at spicing the classic Serious Sam format up a bit.

Now just for fun I'm going to rank all spin off Serious Sam games including Serious Sam: The Random Encounter & Serious Sam Double D XXL. I am ranking em from worst to best, this is strictly my opinion alone, let's go!!!

5. Serious Sam: The Random Encounter

4. I Hate Running Backwards

3. Serious Sam: Tormental

2. Serious Sam's Bogus Detour

1. Serious Sam: Double D: XXL

Serious Sam: The Random Encounter just has problems that prevents me from fully enjoying it. As for the top 2 picks, both of them must be in your collections. I just felt the level of creativity as well as ridiculousness of Double D: XXLis too high to top lol. It essentially was a very unusual take of the concept while making their own jokes that's very funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment