Thursday, August 13, 2020

Jack Red reviews Battletoads and Battletoads Arcade

On September 9th, 2020 I finally beat Battletoads NES game!!!

 Hello everyone I'm Jack Red, recently I revisited Rare Replay. I been hearing after a few years since the announcement that a new Battletoads game is on the way. I was worried it got canceled, likely to happen for retro licenses. By now everyone knows Battletoads is the biggest TMNT rip off there ever was. Yet this was the perfect time to hit em when the newer TMNT games aren't great.

I only got to play two Battletoads games through Rare Replay. I still haven't fully finish the NES game, I been trying folks. I'm far enough to give a proper review with everything considered. I quickly became a fan of this franchise. Battletoads is like TMNT that's more space theme on crack. If that's not a good idea what it's like then what is lol.

1. Battletoads (1991) NES version

Battletoads is widely known for being one of the most difficult video games ever made. Of course, Rare had to include that in Rare Replay. You can play as either Zitz or Rash since Pimple got kidnapped. Surprisingly, there's some game play variety not common among beat em up games. Some sections can be fast moving but very critical hit detection.

For the most part jumping is fine until you get to the famous Turbo Tunnel level. OMG, it can be confusing how exactly to go about making jumps. Sometimes you think you'll land on the next platform to only fall off screen instead. There's a snapshot challenge in Rare Replay of that section. There's also carefully moving from giant snakes level.

This isn't a game that starts out too easy then slower gets harder. No this is a game that starts out on normal difficulty. Then suddenly becomes very hard for remainder of it I'm not kidding. The difficulty spikes is alone to push people away. If it wasn't for the appeal that is. Battletoads has great songs with pause theme being one of my favorites.

Technically this game is even harder with a second player. I never attempted this by myself so I can only imagine it. There's twelve stages in total, I'm currently in stage 11. Which so happens to be the very strict moving stage. Stage 10 has parts of you or the rat getting to the bomb first. But the rat moves in a way that can only be describe as cheating.

I highly recommend using infinite lives as well as rewinding. This game will not hold your hand at all. I still felt a lot of respect for being a different take on the beat em up genre. I actually enjoy playing it despite how damn hard it is. Battletoads is among my favorites on their NES games presented in Rare Replay.

2. Battletoads Arcade (1994)

This was essentially the last entry in the classic Battletoads series. Hard to believe it is an arcade release despite how quickly it's popularity died out. Which it took longer than most cartoons ripping off TMNT at the time. The cartoon for this is horrible avoid it at all costs. Anyway, Battletoads Arcade is a new entry that allows you to be any of the three Battletoads themselves.

What's even better with online play through Rare Replay. You with two other people can play as all three of them at once. Now that's common among classic beat em up arcade games. I will say I loved the graphics as well as artwork very much. I enjoyed the audio very well, although some songs from the NES classic was better.

There's some game play variety here with infinite continues. I love it when you get arcade games with infinite continues. Some of them can be unforgiving more ways than one with limited continues. The bosses stands out more than the NES game. The final stage is this awesome shoot em up stage. Sometimes, during this stage through Rare Replay the game will freeze.

Honestly, I played through this one several times. It isn't nearly as difficult with easier level designs to understand. Battletoads Arcade is a mix between being overlooked because so many great arcade beat em up games. It also can be seen somewhat of a gem among them, there's better examples like Battle Circuit in Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle.

This isn't a long beat em up game either. I do like some of the visual changes the game attempts. I love replaying this forgotten classic. Easily, one of my favorite games within Rare Replay among those majority didn't even know about. I still say the original TMNT arcade was better. I will say some of the animations including toilet jokes I haven't seen much in games lol.

Out of these two Battletoads games I would say I praise creativity more in the NES game. The arcade game is notably easier overall being more likely to come back to playing more of it. The soundtrack in the NES game is better but I prefer the sound effects in the arcade game more. Both of them have some impressive animations.

I would have to say despite how some would felt, I'm a bigger fan of the arcade game. The NES game yeah parts of it can be fun at times. Yet, I kinda felt a little change like having a cheat option to remove damage would greatly help. Also, the NES game doesn't do much to explain the changes coming your way.

I also like it you can play as any of the three Battletoads. I do prefer the boss fights more in the arcade game. The final stage itself quickly won me over. One of my personal favorites among beat em up games in general. Not only that, the arcade game has slightly easier yet more forgiving level designs. This alone was a huge deal breaker for me on the NES game.

No comments:

Post a Comment