Monday, February 20, 2017

Jack Red reviews Resident Evil Movie Series

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, recently I got to see the final live action Resident Evil movie. I been an huge fan of this game series since the beginning. I think it's about time to do these justice as an true fan of the series.

Resident Evil (2002)

I was already impressed by Paul W. S. Anderson's Mortal Kombat movie. I was really excited they finally made an Resident Evil movie. Although it quickly moved away from what we the fans wanted in the first place. It's no secret this was the closest movie to it's source material. They did an great job recreating the story. Sure it wasn't as good as the canceled movie script by George A. Romero. This movie had the best soundtrack of the series. Now I could really rip this movie a part from not sticking to the games. In all fairness this movie still impresses me today. It may not be an master piece but still one of the absolute best video game movies I ever seen.

Resident Evil: Apocalypse (2004)

This movie went more towards action than horror like some of the Resident Evil games. This is heavily based on Resident Evil 3: Nemesis with little to nothing of Resident Evil 2. This really upset a lot of people including myself. It's widely known both 2 and 3 occur very close by each other. Therefore it was wrong of them to completely ignore one of the absolute best RE games ever made. The story is not bad but you still could've wanted more. They did an good job with Nemesis but we all know he could be done even better. Some later parts even after watching the rest of these movies doesn't exactly answer them. This is sadly the beginning of both miss opportunities and poor story telling.

Resident Evil: Extinction (2007)

Some could argue this being the closest thing to an live action Fallout movie. To be honest this would've been an awesome game concept for Resident Evil series. One of the best soundtracks with one of the best stories. They really put a lot of work into this amazing movie. Sure it doesn't quite feel like an Resident Evil movie but after Resident Evil 4 moved away from survival horror. It took many years until very recently Resident Evil VII to finally go back to survival horror. I guess they wanted fans of the movies to feel more like fans of the games. This has the best usage of most monsters present in this movie. I was blown away how great this movie actually was. My big problem was Wesker, everything about him really fell short of the video game character. It really doesn't help Wesker is one of my favorite characters of this series.

Resident Evil: Afterlife (2010)

Unfortunately after Extinction, these movies started sucking worse. Resident Evil: Afterlife heavily took elements from Resident Evil: Dead Aim & 5. The world is dying even further to where it was basically dead. I didn't like how the story plays out altogether. To me it came off trying too hard making it to be good. Instead they completely miss the mark with one of the worst video game movies I ever seen. Sure I could thank them for revamping Wesker for later movies. But not even Wesker saved this movie from sucking. This comes off as we finally might have an home for us. Damn it's an trap run really guys. Was this the best you could come up with?

Resident Evil: Retribution (2012)

I really don't want to talk about this movie. I'm going to come right out of the gate to say this is the worst. I have so many problems with this movie that as an fan I'm trying so hard not going into those details. Resident Evil: Retribution mostly takes place inside an underground dome settings. Each one is recreating those major city disasters. They constantly make clones to die repeatedly in those areas. Also it never fully explains how Red Queen survived the events of the first movie. Yes this wasn't exactly answered in the next movie either. Some parts came off as tributes to several RE moments. But felt rushed & loss all it's appeal especially later on in the movie. They completely got Las Plagas wrong in this movie. It is so off that I almost got angry over it. This movie is too confusing to take seriously. Phantasm: Ravager may have that problem but I still prefer it over this movie. Why because that movie had both better scenes and acting. I highly recommend even to true fans stay away from this horrible piece of filth.

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter (2017)

Although it is widely advertised as the final movie. They went out of their way near the end to open it up to more movies. Some twists are mind blowing & some of it doesn't work for the movie. I could criticize parts of it being forced ruining what could've been one of the best video game movies. In all fairness this does work more than the previous two movies. It was confirmed by Capcom, they didn't go the distance they should've done. What I mean by this is most characters that could come back aren't asked back. An select few such as those portraying Ada & Chris couldn't come back were asked to return. Also you would expect this being the final movie they would go all out. But it was horribly forced almost like the previous movie. Even the ending left an bad impression on me. A lot of potential got wasted. Regardless I do like some scenes more than most scenes in most of the movies. This was an long way off from what I would call an home run. This movie being open to more movies also hurts it in the long run. If you advertise an movie being the final one, then it should be the last movie period. There is no excuse of making further sequels of an new story line. When the world is already in ruins since Extinction. If it were to be an true reboot then we need an new team including director doing it with an unrelated story line. I would be very piss to find out they are continuing this series. Honestly it started off great but after Afterlife it felt uninspired & forced. Also moving away from directly based them on the games really upsets many fans including myself. By this movie I already knew going it I would be very unsatisfied. Not even the trailers could sell me into wanting to go see the movie. I only seen it as an fan of the games nothing more.

Now it's time to rank all live action Resident Evil movies as they follow down below...
6. Resident Evil: Retribution
5. Resident Evil: Afterlife
4. Resident Evil: The Final Chapter
3. Resident Evil: Apocalypse
2. Resident Evil
1. Resident Evil: Extinction

I hope you guys enjoy my take on reviewing these movies. I am holding off on doing the CG movies until I see Resident Evil: Vendetta. Regardless these movies even with negative reviews from many people. Somehow made it an billion dollar movie franchise wow right? I did expect more from the same guy nailing Mortal Kombat movie. I am happy to know some of the people making these are fans of the games. In fact they were able to impress Capcom with their movies. Although I'm far away from being impress in general. Until next time I'm Jack Red and I'll see all of you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment