Monday, January 18, 2021

Jack Red reviews Horror Legends

 Hello everyone I'm Jack Red, I originally held off from doing a review on Horror Legends due to my old computer couldn't fully play it properly. Thankfully it plays perfectly on my new computer. Keep in mind, this is an early access game on Steam. Some stuff I covered either be changed or removed entirely in the final version of the game.

Horror Legends is asymmetrical multiplayer horror game. The amount of players can be high at least four times more people can play during a single match. There's a few maps that's well designed with Dream Scape being my favorite. Everyone in the audio department does such an amazing job in every aspect.

Like similar games, you play as the Casts essentially our survivor characters of the game. Their goal is either kill off an Legend or escape by activating an glyph then being in the correct spot. In vice versa, you play as the Legends, our killer characters in the game. Which does include two versions of Punkie whose this game's mascot character.

You can earn point by achieving objectives as well as killing your enemies. These points can be used to unlock Extras or Comics respectively. I loved they used horror comic book style to tell the game's story. To me, that's creative as well as ambitious that's surprisingly pulled off well. The Casts can use candies to heal but finding stuff is essential for survival.

There's a great variety among the Legend characters. Not to piss a few smaller communities off here. Horror Legends is in a much better shape than the likes of Hide or Die that's gone now and Last Year: The Nightmare. Cross your fingers, you might be getting my review of that. Sadly, it heavily depends on other people so it's sorta delayed until I got enough information.

You also can use points to purchase cosmetics for every character. So far only the Supporter Skins pack dlc is paid with real money but that's cheap. You should see Soul at Stake's dlcs, a lot more than the actual game I'm not kidding. I loved most of these are in the game that I can get at anytime unlike DbD.

I love you can play this by yourself too. If you want to play with others in this, I highly recommend contacting them through it's own discord channel. You are more likely going to do night matches though. This is one of those must play on Halloween games. The controls are perfect I don't have a single complaint there.

I also liked the Legend characters have different conditions to lose. Like Werewolf can temporary be defeated unless you get him unconscious then use the silver weapon to kill him for good. They went out of their way making each Legend character stand out in their own way. In some regard, there's notable differences between each Cast character too.

I will confirmed this is a small indie developer making the game. Virtually using whatever money they earn plus from those buying the game as well as Supporter Skins pack. I am amazed they were able to add so much within a few years since this came to Steam. Clearly COVID-19 isn't slowing them down.

I know a lot of people when this becomes more popular will unavoidably compare this unfavorably to DbD. You know what, this game does do many things better in comparison. For starters, more people can play at one point. Which brings me directly to another point. Depending which Legend you face in matches against people.

When you die as a Cast character, either you'll become specters, other Corey dolls or those pumpkin creatures that serves Punkie. Thus, the numbers can go from the Cast to the Legend quickly to help balance things out. I also liked most future content will be added for free. Which saves me a lot of money plus it's through Steam that also saves me money to play it.

The artwork is impressive as well as inspiring. Horror Legends is one of the best DbD competitors out there that the world doesn't know about yet. There's a lot of playable characters as well. I should point out this is the same indie developer officially working on Puppet Master: The Game.

As of a few years ago fully became a licensed game. I'm a huge Puppet Master fan, I had to say something about it. Horror Legends is true to it's name. You also can find keys to unlock doors. I do strongly think overtime this will be a truly amazing multiplayer game. It already has one of the nicest game communities I ever met.

I will be honest, I virtually didn't even mattered in DbD's community. I actually felt like I do in both this and Resident Evil: Resistance's communities respectively. I will even say I left DbD for both these games. Long term wise, there's way too much stuff to buy in DbD. I know I criticize Friday the 13th: The Game for not having enough content.

But this is different because DbD made the more notable stuff you have to pay with real money to get. Which quickly gets on your nerves. I do think Horror Legends could hold it's own against DbD when the time is right, I'll bet my own reputation on that. I will say this Horror Legends continues to impress me.

According to one of it's developers, this isn't inspired by DbD. It was more inspired by Alien vs Predator on Atari Jaguar, yeah that game. Honestly, I do truly see what they're bringing from that but also making it their own too. This is a game that deserves way more attention than it currently getting.

No comments:

Post a Comment