Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Jack Red reviews Team Sonic Racing

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, today I get to talk about a spiritual successor to Sega Superstars' racing games. Usually I call them the good Sega Mario Kart clone games. Actually I consider both of them being better than Mario Kart now including Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled. How does Team Sonic Racing stack up to those?



Team Sonic Racing was created to just focus on Sonic franchise. This is largely due to most of their team being new members. Some of the guys responsible for the other Sonic racing games are still working at Sumo Digital. I got to be honest, it does look & sound great. I do like how they went about the controls.

The visuals are great in their own right. I still say Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled looks better. It is very similar to those crossover Sega racing games. Maybe just a little too much though. I think this might be one of it's biggest problems. It barely does anything different from Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed.

They kept it mostly in cars this time making this a step down from that. I will say it is notably better than most Sonic racing games if that means anything. Also, how they went about telling it's story kinda lackluster. I actually felt with Sonic Forces having the same problem did slightly better with this.

Also, Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing was more creative in it's variety single player mode. Probably due to all of them being stand alone stories. Yes I know, it also represents several Sega franchises. I still felt with the reputation Sonic has still could've worked with this on it's own. It is a shame it really doesn't.

I do like they added the Wisps into the game. How they went about that I felt was one of the best things about the game. Let's more honest, Team Sonic Racing doesn't even compare well to Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing to me. I actually felt they did a better job displaying what made Sonic so great in comparison.

The roster of characters is fine but if they had to where they could've add more. I probably thought it had more potential like Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled. Last I checked that has over forty characters in comparison to this. Now I think about it, both crossover Sega racing games had more playable characters.

Yes I am aware some characters being exclusive to other versions. My point is simply having a little more characters could've greatly affected this game in a big way. This comes off like Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite sadly. Team Sonic Racing brought back the team aspect from Sonic Heroes to probably making the game a bit easier.

I should mention, the AI on easier difficulties for me are a little too high. I never had that problem with both Sega crossover racing games. Even Sega Superstars Tennis had a better difficulty curve than this. It does reuse some of the objectives from those games with a few new ones. I have to say so far my favorite has to be destroying robots.

Stuff like going through rings is very strict, actually more so than the time theme challenges in Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed. I am a bit disappointed this wasn't as good I thought it was going to be. Maybe because the bar was a little too high with Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed. It likely could've been most of the newer members didn't have the skills necessary to fully pull this game off.

Regardless, this game is simply alright at best. It isn't anything special, I actually went into Sonic Forces thinking I wasn't going to enjoy it. To my own surprise, it was a great Sonic game. I will say the best part of this game has to be the music, Crush 40 is back. They have performed some of the absolute greatest Sonic songs in history.

Team Sonic Racing could've had a better story to fit the racing theme. If not then give me a lot of stand alone stories instead. This alone would've allowed some truly exciting concepts. Like being forced to race against your own team or you have to race with Dr. Robotnik in a surprisingly difficult track.

I do also like the intro they made for this game. It is a real shame they really let me down here. I really wanted to love this game. I have more reasons to just not care about it at all. If anyone buys The Ultimate Sonic Bundle I did. Which by the way by pure coincidence started on my birthday, you might need to reconsider.

I am safely say you will have some fun in Sonic Forces, easily Sonic Mania even without Encore dlc is the best Sonic game included. Sadly the worst Sonic game in this huge bundle has to be Team Sonic Racing. I get why they made it to help people getting caught up on newer Sonic games. Especially during the holidays.

I don't fully regret buying this bundle. It just makes me feel a bit better I didn't end up going with it's other bundle. Yes Team Sonic Racing is currently in two bundles. The other one has Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz HD that has Sonic as a playable character. This bundle is a little cheaper as well. Honestly, I can't personally recommend Team Sonic Racing to anyone especially fellow Sonic fans.

Customizing vehicles comes off being somewhat limited. I felt I had way more options in Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled. The best parts are legendary ones, good luck cashing in chips for mod pods. It is like a random slot machines. Sure they did something like this before. But this felt kinda repetitive & more of wasting your in game money.

Team Adventure mode is the story mode for this game. Eggman gets an exclusive vehicle for the final race. Honestly, it came off being like a tank that didn't do much. I already had enough trouble with Metal Sonic & Zavok. This game felt limited in most categories. I will say it again the soundtrack is the best aspect of the entire experience.

I could say more positive things about Sonic Forces or a few okay Sonic games. There are better racing games of this style out there. This felt limited because they wanted to focus on Sonic universe only. Let's be honest, they didn't use Zavok prior to this. He is slightly used better than Sonic Forces despite he wasn't actually in that game.

Team Sonic Racing isn't even close to being enjoyable as Sonic Heroes. Keep in mind, I never got to play Sonic Heroes on GameCube. I had it on PS2 that wasn't a great port that had a few major issues. I felt that held up better than this truthfully. Even the little bits of Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex was better.

It quickly became clear to me that out of all 2019 games I played some of or playthrough. This had to be the single worst among them. Also the crossover games allowed other vehicles. This is strictly modified cars that sorta represent each character. It is a real shame, this game to me personally was a major letdown.

No comments:

Post a Comment