Sunday, January 6, 2019

Why I Love Resident Evil 2

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, a quick update before getting to today's topic. I am getting better at Mega Man X games. I am trying my best to see how far I can get in all of them. As of this blog I beaten three of them. For right now I figure it's time to take a look back to my past. I was still new to CD based game consoles at the time.


Resident Evil 2 was one of the first multi disc games I ever owned. I actually got the later Dualshock Edition before the original version on the same console. I later played through GameCube port several times back when I had it. For it's time simply nailing the audio department in general. As a kid I was already sucked into this classic.

The fact you could blown parts of zombies off with your shotgun. Sometimes you can blow them right in half while they still try to grab you. For a long time I didn't see anything like this. Obviously it is set up very similar to the original Resident Evil. Sure it may not be as scary but still has many great moments.

I remember first seeing Ben getting an G creature forced into his body. Which was followed by such a brutal death scene. Keep in mine, Sony was still new to making game consoles at the time. The fact they allowed some of those cut scenes blew my mind especially as a kid. Resident Evil 2 is nostalgic for many things it brings to the table.

Even to this day, Resident Evil is still referencing RE2 in some of their newer entries. Some of my favorite puzzles are in this game. Same goes for some of the key items. In the original it was more of a knight theme. In this game there was a key representing a suite of card like Clover & Diamond. I always thought that was so cool they did that.

Resident Evil 2 had some of the best lines of early Resident Evil games. Hell the mini games are still some of my absolute favorites. I remember first finding out about Tofu's mini game wondering what the hell was tofu? Many years later I found out what it is. Capcom loves referencing that mini game when they can.

It made sense this would be a two disc game since it packed a lot of content that wasn't a RPG. Many RPGs on the console had at least three or four discs. Sure there was fewer but most of those were ports of SNES games like Chrono Trigger and some of the Final Fantasy games. Resident Evil has some of my favorite zombie designs of the franchise.

Hard to believe horror legend George A. Romero went directed a Japanese RE2 commercial. Sadly he never got to direct the movie but the script for it is available online to read. I also have a great memory helping a friend to beat Leon's campaign sometimes after I did. I believe it was the same day he told me how the original Resident Evil ends.

I could honestly go on for hours simply talking about Resident Evil 2. To me it is not only one of the absolute best video game sequels ever made. Not only one of the most well made horror games I ever played. It possibly a candidate for what could be one of Capcom's greatest games ever game period. This game really was something else at the time of it's release especially with a few restarts in development.

No comments:

Post a Comment