Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Jack Red reviews Resident Evil 2 Remake

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, I loved Resident Evil 2 on PS1 as a kid. A game packed with so much even for a PS1 game. It quickly got me to become a life long fan since first playing it. This game was a master piece that not many people could recreate. Many fans including myself had to wait over twenty years to play it's remake so how does it fair?


Resident Evil 2 is built on the same engine as RE7. I known about this remake for three years. Within that period, many of us wondered if it got canceled or they started development altogether. Which did occur during it's original development. The moment I heard footage of it got shown I was excited. Ever since then the more they confirmed about it, the more I wanted it.

To clarify I do respect Resident Evil Remake but this game is very good. They modernize the classic format in a way that's both nostalgic as well as refreshing. You play as rookie police officer Leon or college student Claire that must survive this viral outbreak in Raccoon City. I made sure to preorder the deluxe edition to get more of a complete experience.

There's four versions of the campaigns you can play with two per a character. I love just like the original game it doesn't matter which order you play. I felt this was done better than RE6. Resident Evil 2 has two soundtracks you can change at any given time. By enabling the classic soundtrack you also get the original narrator with sound effects.

You also can switch your costumes out at any given time similar to how RE0 done it. They did make some improvements over RE7 in many areas. Just like the original game, there are clear differences between all four campaigns. Some enemies like Giant Spiders & Crows are removed from this version.

The enemy AI is easily one of the finest in an Resident Evil game. They took the classic story but also told it better. In fact this version does connect better to some of the later games. You will spend a lot of time inside the police station as you play. Areas like the sewers & the lab are much shorter in comparison.

Ada is given more a spy like game play this time around. She gets to use a device to alter the direction of electricity in machines. Sherrie has more of a stealth direction similar to The Struggle in Revelations 2. You only play as both of them once in those campaigns instead of a few times. Most bosses do make a return with one becoming enemies in the sewers.

They took RE4 style controls as well as camera angle to deliver a surprisingly scary game. The gore alone was among the biggest surprises. The original game was gory for an PS1 game. I am glad they didn't censored or cut it down. Lickers are done amazingly well keeping you on the edge. Let's be honest a lot of you want to know what I do think about the tyrant right?

Mr. X early on gave me a lot of trouble. After reading some tips, I started wearing my headset to listen to him. You can't kill him until his boss fight that only Leon gets to do. You can only stun him but I will say I really like this version of the tyrant. I do love the new versions of these characters in general.

Resident Evil 2 also has several dlc costumes with an extra samurai edge gun from Wesker. If you preodered it, you also get Chris & Jill's guns as well. I felt most dlcs we got so far do spice up the game a lot. I love how they went about the puzzles this time around. For me, RE7 did disappoint me a little bit with it's puzzles because they're too simple.

Some puzzles do take me a little while to figure out. I miss that from my child hood trying to play more of the first two RE games. This game does an amazing job retelling such a great story. I also like most of RE2 got brought back in it's entirely for the most part. I felt this did justice to all of our demands for it.

Honestly I can't name a single negative thing against it. They modernize the classic RE experience perfectly. You do get some check points at several points but mostly you will load back to your previous save. You also can look at in game models and concept art. They deliver on making just one run being satisfying.

Even after playing all four of them, I still want more of it. I feel the complete opposite with RE6. I also like after completing either character's 2nd Run, you can pick them in any order you want. I will say most bosses didn't disappoint. I would say zombies & plant 43s were the most improved enemies. Originally zombies will bleed a pool of blood to confirm they're dead.

You can knife them to death or blow them up. Mostly you have to destroy their heads to kill them. Sometimes they can be confusing if you could avoid them or what no way. I'm sure many of you would agree with me on that. Plant 43s are a huge step up from the classic versions we knew. Not only that appear scarier but they are also instant death enemies.

You could attack them at a distance until they fall down or wait until they grab you. Where you can use one of your defense weapons to save yourself. I do love this concept returns because sometimes you have to move through enemies. I rather be prepare to get grab then press the button or sometimes I run to push them off.

A lot of nostalgic things are represented very well in this game. Even the secret Rebecca photo is still present. I recently seen the Brad Vickers picture only possible through 2nd Run versions. This is not only screaming Resident Evil 2, it's infecting people in such a fast rate like a virus. OMG I didn't think the game would be this damn good.

I should mention some puzzles in 2nd Run are harder. Also the difficulty is higher than the other versions. You are also going to leave the police station much faster. Unfortunately you will run into the Tyrant faster in these versions. I also love there's doors with one of four card suit keys. I do like those symbols gets marked down on your maps.

This game took what I originally loved so much about the classic horror game. At the same time not only raise the bar for video game remakes. It also took such a great story to a totally new level. The controls are in my opinion the best yet. I still can't believe there's little to no load times in this version.

All five forms of William looks more terrifying than they originally did. I do like how some characters differs in this version. Resident Evil 2 nearly took even the later Dualshock Edition to deliver an experience even surpassing it's Dreamcast/N64 ports. This game is a love letter to us fans. I am very glad I preordered this during Christmas.

1 comment:

  1. The game is a masterpiece. One example of a remake done right

    ReplyDelete