Saturday, May 2, 2020

Jack Red reviews River City Ransom (Xbox One)

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, yes I now own Streets of Rage 4. I am taking more time with it before I give you my thoughts on the game. Right now is a game I didn't think would come to Xbox One or PS4 for that matter. River City Ransom is ported from NES. I swear there's so many NES games on Xbox One with so little of SMS games, where's the love guys?

Anyway this game is going to be a rather mixed to talk about. I didn't own or play this prior to getting it recently. I will say the actual game is intact. I always want more beat em up games for my consoles or pc. Of course, I had to go for this but it's not worth five bucks long story. I do not regret my purchase however though.



River City Ransom is in a weird franchise that's mostly centered on Renegade & River City series. It also has Super Dodge Ball in the same series. You play as either Alex or Ryan or both of them with another player. You must fight several gangs to getting Ryan's girlfriend back from Simon. This game does give you information to a degree.

The most critical comes from the bosses themselves. Unfortunately, you have to defeat every boss unless you know a loop hole to beat the game. There are speed runners on this game that doesn't face every boss. unlike most beat em up games, this isn't split up into stages. This is more of you exploring around.

Which technically makes this a precursor to Shenmue and Yazkua series respectively. Despite the fact, Sega wasn't even involved with the making of this game. It is more of this team attempted such a concept that some teams later attempted themselves in their own way. Therefore, it is possible without this there wouldn't be Shenmue thus Yakuza.

River City Ransom does alter the clothes of your enemies' clothes at random. You go to parts of the game with enemies, sometimes it goes from gray to yellow. You can also buy things by going into stores. Now this was more common during the 90s in several arcade games. I could name several Capcom arcade classics done it.

You can increase your stats by eating particular stuff. A good number of it affects several stats at once. I believe the highest I seen most of them goes is 63. Only two particular stats with one being your stamina goes higher. You can move amazingly fast in this game with the right stuff. I highly recommend you use a map off a device to find the bosses.

There are several weapons that isn't unusual for this genre of games. You also can use the other playable character as a weapon. Now that's thinking outside the box lol. Some bosses will respawn but has more money than their goons making it great for farming money from them. You actually can use one of those locations to get three achievements/trophies done in this game I'm not kidding.

The audio is surprisingly solid that's aging well. You can play two different visual versions of the same game. But it won't allow you to use save game from one version to another. I played games that allowed such a thing so there's no excuse for that. This lacks new stuff altogether, you can customize the controls.

The default controls is well questionable at best. Most achievements/trophies for this can be done outside the actual game isn't right. Sadly, the same company responsible for this also done the same treatment to several classics as well. Keep in mind, this is a recent port of a classic game. It came out a few weeks ago, I got it a day after SOR4 came out.

Honestly Doom 64 gotten a much better port than this. It kinda felt like they wanted to just give us the games nothing more than that. There was a time this would've been alright but not anymore. Not to mention, SNK has a lot of classics on many platforms that does many things better in comparison. Also every achievement/trophy in this is worth an 100 gamer score.

If you know what you're doing that's an easy 1000 gamer score you can pick up. The AI among the goons does vary at times. I actually got strong enough to one shot two bosses in the same area in record time. There is a lot of places to buy stuff in. I actually liked you get the option to smile as free. This could've been flirting in game or just to make the lady's day who really knows.

I had to die to get around an obstacle I couldn't get around, no I wasn't glitching the game. I missed a few bosses prior to where I was stuck at. The goal is to get inside the other high school. You got five bosses waiting for you inside. You also can buy shoes & similar stuff as well. River City Ransom doesn't have an in game map neither does much to help you on you way to finish it.

This means you might have to write all the bosses as well as their locations down then look on a map you're using. I should mention the secret shop is inside a tunnel against a particular part of the wall. You have to spend a lot of money but it does help level your stats up a lot. Sometimes, weapons can be thrown against something or someone might hit into you like a soccer ball.

The actual ending is more or less meant as a joke. There is a lot of bosses in this game. I do like you have to use your head while playing it. I do recommend build up your stats since you'll need it later. The actual in game achievements quickly become a joke after using a trick to farm money. Honestly, despite the flaws it has, this game is a true classic on that console.

I would say it is unique yet refreshing. I thought I seen it all, yeah SOR4 also proved me wrong there too. This game is interesting in how you may go about getting further. I didn't rely on weapons as much as some people would. It is kinda annoying as I was fighting I kept by accident grabbing em. You do get mostly get moves to help you in combat.

River City Ransom is a nice length beat em up game that has replayability in a way a lot of similar games doesn't have. You can easily fall out in some areas with a few being death. Yes the stores do look similar to each other for the most part. Although, a couple do have their own particular look to help you find em easier.

Like Sushi place actually says Sushi on it. I also liked you buy the moves but two of them are present in most locations. You also need to read them first before they activate. Otherwise, you are just moving around like normal. I also like your health bar can get surprisingly long in this game. I should also mention there are passwords you can use.

You can't use em or reset for three achievements/trophies. But knowing it is there would help for future runs. I would say for the game itself I do recommend. Sadly, this port isn't doing such a game justice. I played several games given more respect than this. River City Ransom is so much of a different beast from the genre, you can't know how I feel until you play it for yourselves.

Update: Unlock all achievements isn't actually that. No it turned out to be just change your background. Why isn't it named that instead of unlock every achievement? A real unlock every achievement involves doing the other achievements thus unlocked following the last one you needed to do.

I am still happy to own this game but to screw up a name for an achievement like that. It makes me wonder even the team porting these NES classics is checking their achievements/trophies before releasing em. This is just sad, all those games deserve a lot more respect than that company owning them does for some of it's own franchises.

No comments:

Post a Comment