Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Jack Red reviews Terrordrome: Rise of the Boogeymen (Fan Game)

Hello everyone I'm Jack Red, now I always wanted to talk more about this particular fan game. I always been a huge horror movie fan. My mind was blown when I found out about Terrordrome: Rise of the Boogeymen. Yes it technically is a Mortal Kombat clone that does stand on it's own. It officially got the last update a few years ago.



Terrordrome: Rise of the Boogeymen is honestly one of the finest MK clones I ever played. This combines MK with horror movies perfectly. Yes, they even used digital actors to represent all playable characters in game. Now they heavily took copy right material. Especially the audio department takes notable classic songs from each franchise.

I do need to point out there's two versions of Jason. You get alive Jason from the first four Friday the 13th movies while the undead Jason covers the rest of the movies. I would even argue they should count as their own version of that character. I love every character has a story. Yes some of them in a few areas could've been done a bit differently.

I am not saying any of the actual stories sucks. The concept is you play as one of many killers to defeat most of the roster to get that character's ending. Every character wants something different that by itself makes the overall experience more interesting. Some horror cameos like The Djinn from Wishmaster, an alien from Species series & Pennywise from IT in the game.

Pennywise was later given a stage where he's the DJ. Yeah imagine the worst being of all killing you by making you dance lol. Every character can do a finisher that usually beheaded your opponent. The combo system is kinda interesting since there is some depth to it. I felt the roster itself was well selected.

Most character gets only one stage to represent their franchise. I do need to clarify something, Ash Williams is a playable character as well. He is the only good guy out of the entire roster. Later versions of this game added a bonus match where you need to take out enough zombies. This at best can be a mixed experience.

You could be cheap hoping to cheat the challenge or try it like normal to end up losing badly. Every character also gets a special move you get a few uses during a match. Like Michael using his sister's tombstone as a weapon. TerrorDrome made sure the stages are beautifully done. To be honest, the closest official game I played to this is Dead by Daylight.

I also liked including two versions of Jason all plays differently. More than I was expecting for a fighting game. Honestly, I absolutely love this game. I also liked the loading screen constantly moves in a loop showing the movie covers. This game is truly impressive in what they achieved here. We got an unofficial fighting game crossover that's way better than Clash of the Monsters.

To clarify, Clash of the Monsters is an official horror movie crossover fighting game. Sadly, they didn't nail even the basic mechanics right. Let's just say despite some of the roster I do like, you just can't compete with Terrordrome's roster. I should mention, you can play this with an controller as well as playing it with other people online.

The developers are very nice people that will listen to you. They are currently working on a sequel that's mostly based on older horror icons as well as some original ones. Honestly, if I'm this impressed by Terrordrome, I really can't wait to play Terrordrome 2. This game comes with a strong recommendation for those who love horror movies in general like myself.

For the record, how they used Freddy, Jason and Leatherface is way better than Mortal Kombat series. Although, Dead by Daylight & Friday the 13th: The Game does an amazing job as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment