Sunday, June 23, 2019

Why I Love Resident Evil so much?

Hello everyone I'm Jack Red, I always been a huge fan of Resident Evil ever since my child hood. Just on the topic today alone I probably could spent hours among hours talking about. I figured to give the best pieces to help explain my passion for it. Obviously I can't cover every little thing in the franchise, it isn't the point for this blog anyway.

The beginning

Like a lot of older fans, I started with the original version of Resident Evil. I later got to play Director's Cut Dualshock Edition on the same console many years later. Sure the voice acting is laughable at best with some amazingly terrible lines we love hearing all the time. The cut scene for the main menu did scare me as a kid.

I actually liked the live action cut scenes are similar to those horror movies especially Romero's Dead series. I always felt they did a great job with the monsters in this game. Some of my favorite puzzles in any games. Resident Evil does have a special place in my heart to this day. Although most of my passion actually came from Resident Evil 2.

Genre change

Around the time of Resident Evil 0 & 1 remake, games within the genre of survival horror wasn't selling well. Capcom chose to do the unthinkable by making Resident Evil 4 into an action game. This led to one of the greatest inspiring Capcom games in existence. A couple of franchises exists thanks to this game.

A couple Resident Evil games continue the new direction ending with Resident Evil 6. In fact due to it's failure despite still selling well cause Resident Evil 7 to dramatically change. Horror was becoming more distant with puzzles nearly out of the game play. Sure they did have some great advantages but some of us do prefer the classic style a bit more for many reasons.

Revelations series

I felt a huge impact to this franchise going back to horror was largely due to Revelations series. Both of them brings a lot of things to the table. Yet they both stick to being actual horror games at their core. I also felt with Revelations 2 in particular, Resident Evil 7's dlcs wouldn't have worked the way they do.

Revelations series does maintain some of the action in the game play. It also does make some use to the puzzles too. Maybe not as much I was hoping for, at least the puzzles are better in some RE games. I would even say they're better than those in RE7 honestly. These games helped made RE7 a success because of their existence.

A long awaited return to form

Resident Evil 7 is a truly amazing game. Despite a lot of people are mixed about it being done in first person view. I felt even without VR support, it does make the game scarier than if it was done in third person instead. RE7 does come off a little more realistic in it's own way. Yes there is puzzles but I felt we could've gotten better ones.

The creatures are somewhat on the right track. I do love how they told the stories in this game. I do enjoy a few parts you are being stalk now we do need more of those. The best part is you can easily get it all for cheap on most platforms. Resident Evil 7 offers up some chilling parts that will likely caught people off guard a lot during their first run.

Finally going to full circle in a great way

Ever since Resident Evil 4, a lot of us fans wanted a full return to it's survival horror roots. Resident Evil 2 remake is exactly what we all wanted. This game stayed very true to the classic version while bringing some newer concepts back in a smart way. I am not going to lie this game is truly amazing. Plenty of great puzzles with multiple solutions depending on scenario & character you're playing.

They took a difficult game to remake to end up with a true timeless classic. It nails everything you consider Resident Evil down to it's very core. I waited a little over two decades to play it. The very Resident Evil game that got me to become a fan now inspiring possibly millions of people now. Resident Evil is back to how it was meant to be, I love it!!!


Now I wanted to tell a quick retelling of how this franchise played out over the years. I chose to leave out some spin off games since it would've moved away from what I was trying to do. Resident Evil has experimented with many concepts over the years. There's plenty of books & movies to keep you busy.

Resident Evil is one of the select few franchises to constantly amazes me. Yes it has it's fair share of questionable to bad decisions. But at the same time when it bounces back, the world is mind blown. Resident Evil 2 remake is the perfect example of that. In fact, both RE7 & RE2 remake are selling a lot of copies you wouldn't believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment