Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Jack Red reviews Castlevania Anniversary Collection

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, I always wanted to try getting into Konami's Castlevania series. Yes even during some of their recent release like Metal Gear Survive turned me right the hell off. It has many things I do like including being a homage to several horror movies in general. The closest thing I had growing up to this was Zombies Ate My Neighbors, another classic horror game.


Castlevania Anniversary Collection is the second of three Konami's anniversary collections on multiple platforms. I got to be honest this is a solid line up of games. There's a few surprises I didn't see coming as well. Yes I do plan on reviewing all the Castlevania games included. I do not own the first anniversary collection that has Haunted Castle unfortunately.

1. Castlevania

The original Castlevania is a true NES classic. This is a solid horror game that will test you. I highly recommend to getting use to dying a lot. You play as Simon Belmont to slay Count Dracula. Now I actually don't have many problems with this game at all. It's one of my favorite NES games now. Castlevania has an amazing sound track with great usage of sound effects.

I also liked there's a great selection of bosses that all play differently. I will say hands down Death is the hardest boss in the game. Yes this isn't a long game but it's good amount to keep coming for more. Honestly it's truly amazing how well this game holds up by today's standards. Castlevania is a pure example of something that will never die.

Most bosses are inspired by several horror movie monsters. I also liked they have Medusa whose from Greek mythology. I felt bringing her in was a great idea. To me nothing is scarier than Death whose the grim reaper. If you seen stuff like Final Destination series then you know why. Of course there's a few tips to help you get a little further.

2. Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest

Chances are most know this game because of The Angry Video Game Nerd including myself. To be honest, I really don't think it's that bad of a game. Yes it does have some major problems that will be annoying. At the same time, you learn from it guide or no guide to continue your journey. Once again you play as Simon Belmont whose been cursed by Dracula to age rapidly.

Unless he gets resurrected by him, yeah imagine that a Belmont was forced to revive Dracula not long after slaying him. This plays very differently from most Castlevania games. I felt the biggest problem that sums the entire experience up perfectly is it's not balanced. Some areas are too easy to get through while others in a few locations have more than tougher enemies.

Also there is only three bosses with only Dracula needed to be defeat. Yes you can skip right past the first two bosses. I don't know the full story of the translation but stuff related to hints got removed. It was later confirmed in US version, they are all lying. It's kinda sad when other versions does have those hints.

I do like there's a leveling system but you could be grinding a while. Plus the second most annoying problem is the day/night system. This happens way more often while being unable to do anything. Simply removing it would've given this way more replay value. There's a few parts a guide will tell you since the game doesn't.

PS. I am aware The Nerd covered this game a few times including a rom hack version. I still wanted to talk about it for many reasons.


3. Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse

Hell yes Castlevania 3 is the hardest game in this collection. But it is also one of the very best it has to offer. Castlevania 3 was created among a lot of fans not happy with the previous game. Not only it returns to Castlevania 1 style game play but greatly improved on it. There's four playable characters with two characters at a time.

I do like there's multiple paths to help spice up the game play. I also loved how everything was done. Not only it blows the original away but does so in a way I really can't explain either. It really is a great NES game everyone needs to play. This game can be rewarding with a lot of patience as well as deaths.

I would say some of the best bosses in the entire collection are present here. Castlevania 3 follows Trevor Belmont going to slay Dracula with some friends he meets on the way. Funny enough, this game was the basis for the Netflix show. Although Grant was oddly missing I wonder why guys? I am happy to see Alucard since he is one of my favorite Castlevania characters.

I really don't have anything major enough to complain about. Sure it is a very difficult game but at the same time, it does offer some variety. Some areas are easier by using other characters. I felt the final level to me was a little too short. I don't think even that takes away much from the overall experience.

Grant is armed with a knife that moves on the ceilings. Alucard has a short range blast attack that also can transform into a bat. Sypha fires a magic blast as well as freeze enemies onscreen. Each playable character has their own pros & cons. It's difficult to say whose the second best to play as. I also liked there's a different ending screen depending if you have any of them or not.

4. Super Castlevania IV

One of the biggest surprises to me was Super Castlevania IV. Not long ago, Konami allowed this in Mini SNES consoles. I was very surprised, this actually made it in this collection. Super Castlevania IV is essentially a remake of Castlevania 1. I will say this is the best way to experience Castlevania 1 for many reasons.

I got to be honest Super Castlevania IV is a truly solid entry. It not only blows away the original game it's based on but often one of many candidates for greatest Castlevania game. Some of the coolest graphics on the console is present here. Everything about this game is so damn good. I will even say it does have the best overall controls.

I will say this surprisingly isn't my favorite Castlevania game in the collection. Although it really does come close to that. Super Castlevania IV has some great stages that never gets old. I do need to say Dracula doesn't transform much in this one. It is still a difficult final boss fight to make up for that.

5. Castlevania: The Adventure

For me this was the worst game in the entire collection. Now I know this was a game early on in it's lifespan. At the same time, I felt if the remake really blew it out of the water. Sadly I haven't got to play that version then this game is a huge disappointment in every sense of the word.  You play as Christopher Belmont on his way to slay Dracula.

There is no password system with only four stages. Yes you heard me correctly four stages that do play out differently. The slow pace really brings everything down especially during the trap theme stage. Where you constantly have to keep moving. One of the easiest Dracula bosses in this collection too.

I'm surprised with it's repetition it even got to this collection. Yes it probably got there simply because it was the original portable Castlevania game but really isn't worth revisiting. A few things gets changed up but quickly goes back to feeling a little like Castlevania. Honestly this game doesn't have much going for it even in color sadly.

6. Castlevania 2: Belmont's Revenge

Not to be confused with Castlevania 2 on NES, Christopher Belmot has to go slay Dracula again. This time his son got transformed into a demon. I got to be honest this is a huge step up from the previous game boy entry. I do like you can choose which stage to play. Yes there's a password system this time.

Everything is done right with not many major problems. I felt this could've been a little longer. It does have some great boss fights. Some of the best stages designs on handheld devices. Castlevania 2 not only out done the previous one, it raise the bar higher. By game boy advance era, for a few years they was continuing what Castlevania: Symphony of the Night started.

So in that regard this actually the best classic style game boy Castlevania game. I am honestly very impressed how much they step up. This is a gem that more people needs to play as soon as possible. Honestly this over gets over looked more than underrated status. Regardless how you view where it goes, this is a great Castlevania game.

7. Castlevania: Bloodlines

I am not going to hide it anymore this is my favorite Castlevania game. Not because it's on Sega Genesis, I'm a huge fan of that console. No I actually liked we get to experience the same game with two different characters with notable differences. In other words, you can't say you beaten it until you done so with both of them.

Yes they attempted to bridge Castlevania's canon with that of Bram Stoker's Dracula book. Honestly it is kinda strange John Morris is the Belmont in the game. Usually you play as one with the last name Belmont. I had to look up why it gets confusing trust me. I do prefer playing as Eric aka the guy with the spear.

WOW he made some problems I had during John's version a lot easier. He also gets a killer jump animation you will need to get to the correct path. This has an excellent selection of bosses too. Some of the most impressive Genesis graphics you'll ever see. Castlevania: Bloodlines is the only Castlevania game to debut on a Sega console, so did Resident Evil - Code: Veronica on Dreamcast.

Both of them are still candidates among the best games in their franchises no lie. This game has some truly amazing artwork with stage designs. The sound track with it's sound effects are amazing. I got to be honest I didn't even need the extra gore & blood but I'm a fan of that myself. I quickly knew I was going to love this game.


8. Kid Dracula

Now for the biggest surprise among everything else. Kid Dracula from famicom is also included. Most people know it's sequel/remake on game boy. Kid Dracula challenges a dark lord named Galamoth. Please don't take this game seriously since it was clearly meant for the younger audience. This is the most ridiculous Castlevania game in the collection.

Kid Dracula is actually Dracula's son although it isn't clear if this might be his son Alucard or not. This plays more like platformers on that console. Believe it or not, in this collection, it is the first time this game came to the United States. This is also one of the shorter games in the collection too. It's translated works just enough to get the job done.

As much I want to talk about the mini games, I didn't get to play much of them. You need to earn coins during the stages or you will be wasting your time regardless which mini game to not play it. Keep in mind, like many NES games such as Super Mario Brothers 3. These are alternate method to getting extra lives.

The bosses are mostly easy once you figure them out. There's nine stages while the password system can go as far as stage 7. I would say this has great controls to easily memorize fast. I think by adding this into the collection, we get to see a lighter side of this franchise. Also most of them does play similar thus helps breaking that up a bit.


Addition to eight games, you also get a bonus book that covers so much. Before I bought this, they recently added their Japanese versions. Yes these were added for free since a lot of people really wanted them. The achievements are mostly beat the game except for the one you play all eight of them.

In Castlevania 3 & Bloodlines' case, you have to do this a few more times due to other playable characters. The overall emulation is solid with features you expect for the most part. There is only one save slot for each game, oh okay that's fine I guess. The controls can be changed but I chose to leave them on their default choices.

I felt the overall selection of games is well picked indeed. The worst is hands down Castlevania: The Adventure. It is debatable among people which Castlevania game in this collection ends up being their favorite. I quickly enjoyed Castlevania: Bloodlines for pushing the envelope further than what was expected.

For twenty bucks, I felt I got more than I could possibly imagine. Mostly great Castlevania games I will come back to play more of in the near future. Keep in mind, Konami has made some questionably bad decisions recently. I'm really surprised we got this good of a collection. This also made up for not fully knowing what it's like to experience these games for so long.

I am very surprised we got a compilation that has a SNES & Genesis game. Usually many compilations that has some of one or the other doesn't get games from the other console. The fact we ended up with Super Castlevania IV & Castlevania: Bloodlines to me is by itself mind blowing. Two truly impressive 16-bit Castlevania games.

I also liked the theme playing before you press start. The game selection screen I also liked a lot. They made it easier since these games does keep track of your settings. You have no idea how annoying it is to reset it the way you wanted every single time. This is a solid franchise that more people needs to enjoy.

Now I am going to do the ranking despite already revealing the worst & best a few times...
8. Castlevania: The Adventure
7. Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest
6. Kid Dracula
5. Castlevania 2: Belmont's Revenge
4. Castlevania
3. Super Castlevania IV
2. Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse
1. Castlevania: Bloodlines

No comments:

Post a Comment