Thursday, December 5, 2019

Farewell TOM (Toonami)

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, today I get to talk about a leading factor why I love anime. I grew up with Toonami that would be on Cartoon Network channels for a few hours. Personally, I remember the good old days just like yesterday. Why am I even talking about Toonami you ask? Believe it or not, they recently killed off TOM 5 in their recent story arc.

I figured to pay my respects by making this blog entry. I will be talking about Toonami from almost the beginning to recent since Moltar from Space Ghost was the original host. I do apologize I didn't do anything for Moltar following his voice actor passed away. Maybe one day, I might do something to help make up for that.

Rest in Peace TOM 1999-2019 (Seventh years as the host of Toonami)


TOM 1


Of course I remember the original TOM model. This little guy was the only model to be voiced by a different voice actor. TOM knew he had a lot of shoes to fill in for Moltar. It isn't exactly clear why Moltar left in the first place. But TOM sure had a way to grow on you. Believe it or not, fans got to vote if he were to die or survive in a particular story arc.

Majority of votes led to his first death by an entity only known as The Intruder. TOM 1 was a host for a little over a year. Personally, I thought this model looked a bit small for something as big as Toonami. I do like parts of his designs despite that. TOM 1 had a weird appeal to people early on. Very quickly made him more popular than Moltar I'm not kidding.

TOM 2


During the same story arc TOM 1 died, his AI was transferred to a superior, bigger model. I will be honest I always had a thing for TOM 2. Just look at him, he looks awesome. TOM 2 was hosting for a little over two years. This model got to be in two story arcs. Lockdown that displayed most of his strategist side.

Trapped in Hyperspace happened due to a virus attacking SARA while going through the hyperspace. We get a more mysterious story arc with another TOM had to keep the virus' attention on him. In doing so, he was able to out smart the virus to saving SARA. This is when the voice actor Steve Blum started his long standing performance as TOM.

TOM 3


TOM 3 was recreated with parts of TOM 2. This model also gotten a new spaceship. He hosted almost five years of Toonami. He temporary came back through an April Fools joke. Which eventually brought back Toonami in the process. To me, TOM 3 doesn't stand out as much as TOM 2 did.

Sure he looks more buffed up in comparison as well as being taller. Other than that, TOM 3 didn't have the same impact on me. I will say TOM 3 does look better than TOM 1. Unlike the previous two models, TOM 3 didn't get story arcs on TV. TOM 3 mostly ended up taking it easy. Honestly, just one epic story arc would've helped here.

TOM 4


Yeah eventually I had to break my silence on this. TOM 4 looks amazingly horrible. What's a great way of describing it? Imagine a cheap rip off of a Pixar movie with one amazing voice actor. But don't make anything exciting in the process. Thus you ended up with a surprisingly bad version of not just TOM but also Toonami.

Let's be honest, he doesn't look like the previous models. Just trying to point the dots in how this model fits in like more on the lines of getting stabbed rapidly in the eye. At the same time, it is covered with old sea salt & old bay I'm not kidding. I actually wasn't watching Toonami during this period.

TOM 4 was the host for a little over a year. Even the final scene when Toonami ended didn't set things well. I really personally do not like this model. If I were giving out awards, then he would guarantee winning the worse overall TOM model ever. Also in the comics, The Intruder destroyed this model thank god for that.

TOM 3.5


This is more of less a slightly upgraded variation of TOM 3. I would actually say this is the model I originally wanted to see. Personally, I'm stuck between TOM 2 or this for my favorite TOM model I'm not kidding. Just look how bad ass TOM looks. TOM 3.5 was the host for a little over a year, there seems to be a pattern.

TOM 3.5 was the model for when Toonami came back. Honestly, I wish they would've done a story arc or two with this model. They never explained how TOM 3.5 became TOM 5. Yes I am willing to exclude TOM 4, it does not exist!!! Now TOM 3.5 did make up for that model. I kinda wish this model had a little more going for him.

TOM 5


TOM 5 is the finale model that also the longest standing host of Toonami. He hosted for seven years, an achievement worth having. From his basic design he is better than some models. TOM 5 also got to be in a few story arcs. I felt he did justice to greatly made up for a particular model that will no longer be named.

TOM 5 does change ships that eventually led to his demise. Although, he did give similar robots to him a fighting chance as well as an opportunity to escape. By this point, TOM's story came full circle. He got to experience death a few times in his existence. Yet none a single one slowed him down much.



For the longest time, TOM meant a lot to me. Even when I wasn't Toonami. Obviously, Moltar was quickly outclassed by this robot. We got an inspiring hero that's willing to sacrifice his life to save others. TOM has been through a few types of transferring frequencies for the people of Earth to watch cartoons as well as anime.

TOM was an original character exclusive to the Toonami brand. Moltar was a guest character to help jump start something huge. I felt the actor didn't want to keep doing that or the character was becoming too expensive to use. Regardless of the reason, we ended up with a surprisingly likable host.

He got to star in some crazy story arcs. Some of the earlier ones aired through out the week. The more recent ones aired right at the beginning not taking long. Sometimes, doing things like that could leave a major impact on people. TOM is still one of the greatest fictional hosts on televisions I ever seen.

I am deeply upset to see him go. He has entertaining thousands possibly millions of people over the years. For so many people, Toonami will never be the same without TOM. Now I get a part of why they're doing that. How long can we have TOM be the host for Toonami? He has been the host for seventh years.

Keep in mind, there was a few years Toonami didn't air at all. There was one brief Toonami airing as a joke in 2012. Despite that, Toonami got so many people into anime like myself. TOM was essentially the greatest gift Toonami has ever given us. Yes even more than a lot of great anime shows.

After all, just airing them on TV can quickly get boring. TOM does help some stay up late at night. Almost like a great pal you can't seem to get away from. You feel like TOM is a relative of yours for many years. Losing him will deeply upset a lot of people. He will always been remembered for everything he has done.

Moltar deep down despite his arrogance probably knew TOM had greatness. TOM had to quickly step up to taking Moltar's place. I felt in all honestly, He was a better host than Moltar no offense. TOM has a legacy that will likely continue in some way for the future of Toonami. In the end, TOM you finally got the big break you been wanting.

No comments:

Post a Comment