Friday, December 13, 2019

A few great Mortal Kombat rip off games

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, There's so many bad Mortal Kombat rip offs. I felt why not share some good MK rip offs instead. Sadly, that is in short supply but trust me even the worst among these is way better than majority of them. Also I played most of these with a review one on them recently. Anyway, I hope you enjoy my treat especially if you are fellow MK fans for the holidays.

I should mention, I also reviewed the final two games in this blog entry.

1. WWF Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game (1995)


Developed by Midway

Believe it or not, there used to be a time during the 90s to early 2000s. Where there was a couple of decent WWF now WWE games. Also keep in mind, WCW & ECW were bought by WWE back in the day. All of their games counts as WWE games too. Anyway, I had several versions of this amazing game.

You get eight characters that are vastly different from each other. Obviously, getting counted out or pinned are the only ways to win or lose. I also liked the announcers say some rememberable lines. Everything done in this game is done perfectly for something so over the top. You can't kill your opponents or have a few species.

What you do have is some of the finest wrestling game play you will ever experience. This doesn't even feel like a normal wrestling game. I felt, by having two different fight ladders was a smart idea. You can take on one to two or three wrestlers at the same time. Just imagine, doing the biggest match this game has to offer.

Like Primal Rage, you have to fight every playable characters in one match. This is more classified as a wrestling game than an actual fighting game. Despite the fact, it is clearly based more of a fighting game than anything else. This game is a absolute must play if you are a fan of wrestling. I highly recommend finding a version of it then play the hell out of it.

2. Eternal Champions (1994)


Developed by Sega

I won't say too much since I reviewed it recently. This was a decent attempt by Sega that truly stands out from the rest. I could go even as far to say some of Overkill animations are more violent than actual fatalities in MK games at the time. Everything about this game works incredibly well, another strong recommendation.

3. Eternal Champions: Challenge of the Dark Side (1996)

Developed by Sega

I didn't get to play the rest of this series. Especially this follow up that ends up being the finest entry. In fact, just watching a video showing off it's finishers. I can actually say this is a game technically more difficult to watch than an actual MK game. Now that's quite a statement I know. There's a stage finisher where you or your opponent gets keep getting sawed up several times.

I should mention there are a few playable animals among the hidden characters. Believe it or not, hidden characters is mostly not existence in most MK rip off games. Also, I can strongly say this might actually be the finest great MK rip off game I ever heard. It truly goes up & beyond in a way that's very difficult to top.

4. Killer Instinct (1994)


Developed by Rare

I already reviewed it not long ago. But I'm always been a huge fan of this game. Killer Instinct was created more terms rivaling Street Fighter than Mortal Kombat. It also has several finisher types you can do. I can be honest, the music alone is actually better than most of Mortal Kombat series. Not only that, some of my favorite fighting game characters are present here.

Including the very character I used in my answer that won me Killer Instinct Definitive Edition from Rare. Yes I am talking about Fulgore, I always been a huge fan of him. I won't be including the newest entry since it technically moves away from being an MK rip off game. Killer Instinct is a game that can hold it's own very well to a real MK game.

5. Killer Instinct 2 (1996)


Developed by Rare

There does exists two versions of this game that are surprisingly playable on Xbox One. Of course, you need to own Rare Replay to play it's N64 port now called Killer Instinct Gold. I am also a huge fan of this game. In fact, I actually gotten every achievements for both versions of KI2 on Xbox One. If that doesn't tell you how much I personally love this game then what will?

Killer Instinct 2 does take a curve ball in it's plot. Yes the tournament occurs after the original but actually takes place in the distant past. They actually done time travel before MK series officially done it themselves. I do like most of the new characters including Gargos. This game is not just one of the best fighting game sequels ever made.

This game may not get the respect it deserves. But god damn this is a truly amazing game. Yes, there are finisher types just not as much as the original game. Also Killer Instinct 2 does have some amazing animations for it's time. I can safely say a strong recommendation especially for fellow KI fans myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment