Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Why I Love the Leprechaun by Jack Red

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, one of my favorite comical horror icons is the Leprechaun. I know a lot of you are probably thinking "Dude you must be seriously high." No I always enjoyed even the bad Leprechaun movies except for Leprechaun: Origins. I went out of my way a day before St. Patrick Day last year to buy most of them on steam.


Warwick Davis & Linden Porco made the character very entertaining to watch. The original director attempted to recreate his success with a movie called Rumpelstiltskin. Which is more of a cult following than anything else. This little guy is one of the meanest killers I ever seen in any horror movie.

Obviously most of these movies are essentially their own time line with the most recent being a direct sequel to the original. Let's be honest, how many horror movies or anything in general you have witches? I felt this guy thought why do the easy route if I could pull off a more difficult one. Clearly you had to expect a little comedy in one of the silliest things you ever heard.

Let's be honest, some movie companies including Full Moon tried doing their take on a killer leprechaun. No one compares to Warwick Davis man. It's like Robert Englund for Freddy, Doug Bradley for Pinhead or Tony Todd for Candy Man. He was meant to play that role. Some of the most mess up kills I ever seen was in Leprechaun 3.

On the back of Leprechaun 2 some releases, it actually says he's meaner than Freddy. Now that's quite a bold statement if you ask me because he didn't hold back being a dick to people. Leprechaun Returns put a smile on my face like these Leprechaun movies. I do enjoy watching Porco playing a more dark, sicker take of the character.

It was way better than whatever that creature from Leprechaun: Origins. Seriously how do you call that thing a leprechaun, now those are the ones high on clovers. This guy does come off as one of the most powerful creatures in a horror movie. Sure he does have a lot of weaknesses. At the same time, good luck trying to get just one to work.

The weirdest thing is the original movie company was also responsible for Warlock trilogy. Yeah imagine that both the leprechaun & the warlock at one point was owned by the same company. Maybe one day I'll talk more about him. Leprechaun 4: In Space was just too stupid of a concept for it to work.

Well I did do another blog with that movie claiming it wasn't as bad as Dracula 3000. Trust me, if you love Dracula stay the hell away from that movie. At least in Leprechaun 4: In Space, we see the leprechaun turned his cane into a light saber to kill a space marine. A true fact relating to one maybe both hood movies.

Originally they were going to do Leprechaun vs Candy Man movie but Tony Todd was heavily against it. To be quite honest, I didn't feel that's the match up I would go with. Actually if it were possible I really would love to see Chucky vs Leprechaun. Two little guys that use different form of magic that are monsters in their own right.

I do enjoy that one joke early on Leprechaun 3, you know about brass balls lol. I do hope Davis does the character one more time. Even if he doesn't I will hope Porco to return instead. So you can't blame me when neither comes back to do the character. Let's put it this way, Jack Frost even before the very bad sequel was already too ridiculous of a concept to take seriously.

I seen two different takes of a killer sandman movie that was way better. Of course, these movies have a special place in my heart. The character himself is clearly one of my favorites in all of horror movies. Just imagine him fighting Wishmaster now I would actually pay a lot of money to see that. The Leprechaun himself is hands down one of the funniest killers.

To me, you aren't properly celebrating St. Patrick's Day unless you are watching these movies. Now going back to a statement earlier. I already talked how much I didn't enjoy a movie called Red Clover more commonly known as Leprechaun's Revenge. At least that was more of an Leprechaun movie than Leprechaun: Origins.

No comments:

Post a Comment