Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Top 5 Reasons Why I Like Twisted Metal more than Vigilante 8

Hi everyone I'm Jack Red, I figured to show a little of my Twisted Metal pride. I wanted to do something that would show what I liked so much about those games for a long time. In terms of competition, the one name sticking out is Vigilante 8 series. So I figured why not do a Top 5 list about why I like Twisted Metal more than Vigilante 8.

I do want to clarify a few things before the actual list. Yes I actually do enjoy playing the original Vigilante 8. I do plan on getting the sequel when I can. I always been a huge Twisted Metal fan since my child hood. In fact at one point, I did own all five PS1 games. I also had both major releases on PS2 as well.

5. Twisted Metal 4

Before any Twisted Metal fans lose it. Please let me explain, yes the same team behind the train wreck that is Twisted Metal III also made this. But it actually isn't that bad of a Twisted Metal game. Sure the time line is an incomplete mystery also due to some endings not in the finished game. Most endings we do get isn't great.

Let's be honest Rob Zombie had the best ending in both those Twisted Metal games. He also allowed some of his songs to be in both games. I kinda liked the concept that Sweet Tooth takes over the contest. I do enjoy most levels in this particular Twisted Metal game more than some of them. This is still the only Twisted Metal game to create your own vehicles.

I also liked the intro to this game for a long time. Of course, I do have one major problem with this game. I heavily felt it has way too many bosses for a car combat game. Usually it is two to three bosses but here every level had a boss with two having two bosses at once. They greatly improved over Twisted Metal III in a way I had a blast playing this.

4. More interesting level designs

Obviously in this category it's up to which one you ultimately prefer. Well I can name more levels I like in Twisted Metal games. Including a particular level from the canned Twisted Metal: Black sequel. Some levels have depth you wouldn't expect that in some games led to unlocking characters. Over the years, they used a lot of ideal places.

Who doesn't remember falling off the famous Rooftop level from the original Twisted Metal? They even had a level straight out of a Jet Moto game since the company behind both of them at the time. Sadly 989 Studios also ruined Jet Moto's reputation. Some of these have interesting concepts even with little things that you constantly looking around for more.

3. The bosses

Not to piss any Vigilante 8 fan off. I am aware in the original Vigilante 8, every playable character has a boss at the end of their story mode. Honestly I do wish Twisted Metal would've done that concept. Despite that, you do face more bosses in Twisted Metal games. Some of these bosses do stand out to this day like the original Dark Tooth.

You have to face him twice with the later simply being a giant flaming clown head. Hell they went even further with Tower Tooth in Head On, the biggest playable boss vehicle in franchise's history. Most bosses are in great vehicles that could out last most of their competition. Of course, some of them aren't playable without a cheat device.

I kinda liked how Twisted Metal has done boss fights in general. In the newest entry, there's a giant boss centered around the three characters. Now those all caught me off guard. I really wasn't expecting a very different experience between all three of them. Hell I felt more challenged against the final bosses than a handful of bosses in Vigilante 8 that took me awhile.

2. Sound tracks

I swear I didn't include this to piss people off. Both franchises has great sound tracks. In this particular case, Twisted Metal has more of what I liked. Yes even Twisted Metal III or Small Brawl had good songs. I felt in those games members of the original team successfully chose the right songs with great sound effects in the game play.

Only three Twisted Metal games to date has licensed music. The later Head On Extra Twisted Editin does not count. There's just something about how they use the music to match well with the game play. Also I felt with the direction of it overall is dead on with this franchise. Twisted Metal is meant to be dark not kid friendly or light that's loss identity.

1. Twisted Metal: Black

This shouldn't be a surprise to many people. I'm a huge Twisted Metal: Black fan, Along with Grand Theft Auto III was one of the games that convinced me to get an PS2. I am really glad I gave this game a try. This takes part in an alternate darker universe. I felt everything about it was done to perfection.

I know most Twisted Metal fans would choose either 2 or 3. Honestly I have to choose Black in this case. The way the stories all plays out comes of like a series of horror movies. Which are all incredibly well made. I have to say it has the best voice acting of the entire series. I felt a handful of characters including my personal favorite Sweet Tooth was at their best in this.

Sure this is one of the toughest Twisted Metal games in existence. Yes there does exists an online version that's mostly for online play. Unfortunately I never got a copy thus go to play it. I felt the level designs are among the best in this franchise. I also liked having a save unlocks Mecha Sweet Tooth in War of the Monsters.

Oh way it gets better than that folks. Twisted Metal: Black did later inspired the newest entry. Although the live action portions are more to make up for cheesy endings in TM1. Twisted Metal always was meant to be dark right down to it's very core. This would be the closest I imagine that in this game without question.

No comments:

Post a Comment